Ordered a Garand from the CMP

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by M14man, Aug 31, 2010.

1. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Saved some extra cash...CDs are not yielding decent interest, stocks too risky, land too expensive....so I ordered a service grade Garand from the CMP. The H&R's are taking about 120 days, so I guess I will be patient. This will be #4.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ahhh!
    An investment that should hold its value.

3. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I'm divested in precious metal as well. Winchesters are my favorite but it's a diverse investment as far as the stampings.

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

A good investment....waiting to order number 6 myself. People do not understand the allure....there is something uniquely attractive about the Garand...the mystery....(insert dramatic music here)

5. hfreyer

hfreyer G&G Regular Forum Contributor

How do you get to order form the CMP? I live in the north Texas area, and have never found how to order.

6. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

hfreyer:
    Unless you have a trusted friend or family member go to a CMP 'store' and buy you a rifle etc, you Must belong to a shooting club, and have the club provide a specific type of paperwork to submit to the CMP staff.

It can be critical to study that part of the CMP website.

7. Dickie d

Dickie d G&G Newbie

The Texas State Rifle association or Garand Collectors association would do it. I suggest going to the CMP site and look at it because there are some other things such as proving you shoot at a range. some of the rules are exempted if you are over 65.

8. texnmidwest

Eligibility Requirements

Anyone buying from the CMP must meet these eligibility requirements. Not hard to do.

There is also a list of eligible clubs and organizations. Garand Collector's Association is 25 bucks a year and includes a great magazine.

Plus, the shooting requirements are fun to fulfill!

Club Search Submit

9. CMP Requirements

Go here: Eligibility Requirements

HTH

Ben Hartley

p.s. Sorry, Tex. Hadn't noticed that you'd already posted this.

10. M14man

Look here... http://www.thecmp.org/ the eligibility, how to order,forms and stuff are on the left side. Lower down on the left are the rifles. I believe only surplus Garands are left...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  11. blu97

blu97 G&G Addict

cmp

If you have a ccp or dd214 you can join any cmp aproved club for about $20 a year, all you need after that is birth cert, drivers lic, and all the forms you can print from the cmp website. no voodo, no special friends, just rifles and ammo delivered to your door without having to pay a gunshop or ffl dealer their markup.I have been dealing with cmp since 1984 (was dcm back then) and never had a problem they didn't fix with a smile.Don't wait to long, right now there is a bunch of rifles but in the last month the m1 carbines and the rack grade winchester grands have run out.Go to cmpod.com and see for yourself.

12. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

hfreyer:
    Sorry about the mistake, had forgotten that there are other alternate ways to qualify to order/buy at the CMP.

13. M14man

Would you believe the rifle came today! They said 4-6 months and Fedex brought it today, 3 weeks total! It is a 5.6 H&R with a 3-55 barrel. Nice GI stock with cartuoche. It has a mix of parts, op-rod, bolt, and trigger mechanism are not H&R. Looks like it was used once since the piston and bolt face were nearly clean. Parkerizing is original and perfect. Well worth the $618 paid.

14. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Good investment!

15. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

You know the rules.. :irked:

Photos!!!
    :p

And Congrats!!

I'm going to the South Store on Oct 1 and hope to find a couple nice FG's that scream "Take me home!!"..

16. M14man

Well it looks like so many Garands it almost is not worth the trouble.
    I like it...well maybe three pics...

Attached Files:

17. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Very nice!!

18. texnmidwest

My first CMP Garand was an H&R! It is a great shooter and a very beautiful rifle as yours is!!!

Congrats! Now, what are you gonna order next? Springfield? Winchester? Special Grade? All three?!!!!! THAT"S THE TICKET!!!1