Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Gun Shooting sport Shooting Vehicle Air gun
Sky Ceiling Smile
Took advantage of some good weather today and zeroed my sight.

I didn’t run a whole lot through the 92 because I failed to bring a brass drift and hammer.

I had to dial the sight all the way left windage to zero. Need to split the difference a bit by moving the front sight. It’s not a critical thing but I like things symmetrical, and I’m not jazzed about being at max on windage one way or the other.

I got good POI movement from the adjustments and the sight picture was good with all 3 aperatures.

I also need to get on developing a load for this gun. From the limited amount of experience I have with it, it seems to like the stout 158 grain jacketed loads for best accuracy. I shot mild 38’s to verify on paper and some mid range 158 grain LSWC.

The 5 shot group with the 158 lead is okay but not much to brag about at 25 yards.

Plinked a bit. No issues on the 8” round plate at 25 yards and the standard steel sillouhette was a piece of cake at 50 yards. Hit at 100 about 50% of the time. 100 is where the proper load work will pay off I’m sure.

All in all I’m very happy with the sight.

P.S. ran 20 rounds through the 45-70. How hard it hits steel at 100 and 150 is impressive.

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Bit of an update. Went to the range today. Perfect weather. Worked with the sight a bit more. Drifted the front sight to the right a bit. Allowed me to bring the rear more toward center but not as center as I’d like.

I got her dialed in fairly well. At 50 yards I’m at a pretty honest 6 o’clock hold. It’ll hit about 4-6” above the top of the front sight depending on the load.

This is how I like to shoot / sight irons. Long story. It works pretty good for a flat shooting cartridge. .357 isn’t so flat.

At 100 yards I need to cover the target with the front sight. Consistently hit the 100 yard steel 18”x20”

Aiming just a bit higher, nailed the same at 200 yards a few times. I should have screwed in the long range small hole peep but got ahead of myself in the excitement of it all.

The star load of the day was some .357 I’ve had for a while. 158 grain SWCFP with 9 grains of Blue Dot. Let’s you know your shooting a .357 at about 1/2 the charge of something like 296 / 110, fine powders in their own right whilst we’re BS’n.
Gun Shotgun Trigger Recreation Shooting sport

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I traded it back to the dealer I bought it from Jerry for some stuff I thought I wanted worse at the time. LOL
Gotcha. I think we’ve all gone down that road here or there. Except my friend, he will keep a broken gun with a bent barrel because it’s his by golly!

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fashion accessory Leather
Gun Trigger Air gun Shotgun Recreation
Hey Jerry, put a blank filler in that rear site grove bud.
I was about to order a blank plate and thought, hey, why not a folding sight? I ordered a Lyman. It was a bit loose so I applied a little aluminum tape to the bottom of the sight and it’s good and tight. I actually like the sight picture with it flipped up. Next step is the range for a sight in.

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Looking good, hope it works good too.
Me too Rex.
My expectation level is decent accuracy at closer distance. I love the Marbels peep, but unless the peep is out of it leaving a bigger hole, it’s a little cumbersome to use on close up stuff. Nice to have a back up built in as well.

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Took a little time to go to the range this morning. I didn’t have a huge expectation level, because it’s never easy when sighting in, it seems.

Well, lining the rear folding sigh with the already sighted in tang sight was spot on.

The folding sight was slightly lower but good. Beat up the 50 yard steel like I knew how to shoot or something.

I wouldn’t call it a tack driver, but this 92 has gone from something I was luke warm about to something I would feel comfortable harvesting a deer at 75-100 yards now. And, it’s fun.

· Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,484 Posts
Bit of an update. Went to the range today. Perfect weather. Worked with the sight a bit more. Drifted the front sight to the right a bit. Allowed me to bring the rear more toward center but not as center as I’d like.

I got her dialed in fairly well. At 50 yards I’m at a pretty honest 6 o’clock hold. It’ll hit about 4-6” above the top of the front sight depending on the load.

This is how I like to shoot / sight irons. Long story. It works pretty good for a flat shooting cartridge. .357 isn’t so flat.

At 100 yards I need to cover the target with the front sight. Consistently hit the 100 yard steel 18”x20”

Aiming just a bit higher, nailed the same at 200 yards a few times. I should have screwed in the long range small hole peep but got ahead of myself in the excitement of it all.

The star load of the day was some .357 I’ve had for a while. 158 grain SWCFP with 9 grains of Blue Dot. Let’s you know your shooting a .357 at about 1/2 the charge of something like 296 / 110, fine powders in their own right whilst we’re BS’n. View attachment 111032

Nice setup.

I kinda have to do the same thing with my .45 Colt -- I shoot everything from the 325 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast (+P) and cor-bon +Ps to my own 255 grain Keith (the Keiths are way more fun too shoot). The BB HC generates low end 45-70 ballistics and is a thumper but probably more than I want.

Anyway, made up a range card to POIs for the various loads (which usually comes down to which portion of the bead is on the target at 50 and 100 yards).

Glad it's working for you !

Reactions: jerry
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.