Gun and Game Forum banner

Ordered a Marlin today !!!

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  samuel 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after a lot of research I decided on buying a Marlin 981-T boltaction 22 with tubeular magazine.
My friend at the Pawn and Gun shop I called to get his price and he was the cheapest I found $ 162.00 in my area this was less than I found on the Internet .
Interesting to know that Wal MArt was $5.00 more.
The friend does not charge shipping either.
I bought the matching 22 magnum rifle back in July and my plans are if nethere one shoots worth a hoot I'll trade for something better.
If anyone has any experience with this rifle I'd sure like to hear about it...A.H

#2 ·
Tube fed

This is why I visit G&G: learn something all the time. Didn't know that a Tube fed Bolt action rifle existed. WoW.:bigeyes:
AH: do follow up with pictures and with a detailed field report.:)
Thanks

#5 ·
neophyte you've seen tube fed 22 rifes before. Thats what some call the tube that hangs under the barrel and is attached to the reciever.
The tube has another tube inside it that has a spring in it. Oh never mind !!! LOL !!

I tell you what go to Marlins web site and and take a peekaboo at the boltaction 22's
you'll see some with clips that hold the ammo and you'll see some with a tube mounted under the barrel.
The rifles with a tube generaly hold more ammo...A.H hep me !

#8 ·
The only fault I have with tube mags is a safety factor mostly for children.When reloading they want to either point the barrel in unsafe directions or lean it against their body to insert the cartridges.I have both box and tube mags and when helping youngsters get started,give lessons with both. sam.

#9 ·
Thanks Samuel for the reminder and the rest of yall for your comments.
I hope it comes in tommarow ( Monday ) and normaly it would.
But with the Holiday rush my friend with the Gun and Pawn Shop said he wasn't expecting Fed Ex to even bother stopping at his store.

I've never pulled a stunt like this and bought something behind my wifes back !! Instead of feeling a little guilty for ordering it I've been kinda giggling to myself about it.
I've even figgered out away to pay for it with out her knowing HA HA !!!! LOL:bigeyes:

#10 ·
Well I rigged my new 22 out with the scope I got for Christmas and headed to the woods !
I set up my homemade paper plate targets at 50 yards from my truck and shot 7 rounds and all I was hitting was air.
I backed off to 25 yards and shot at a leaf that stood out and I was hitting I guess 28" to the left.
I made a big adjustment and fired a few more rounds and as bad luck would have it the scope never moved.
I spun the knonb around 2 times and it moved about 5 inches.
I turned it all the way it would go and I still needed about 16 more inches to the right
but it wouldn't turn any more so It will be sent back to Cabela's.

I would like to mention a member here that makes very short comments.
I have found him to be right on every comment he makes here, his name is
Lefty O He said Simmons scopes are a piece of Crap and I found that to be so today.
That scope ruined a planed hunt this week end...A.H

#11 ·
Hate to hear about your frustration Arkansas. I have owned one Simmons scope. Looked OK, but I blamed the rifle for not being able to shoot. Now as I look back on it it might have been the scope. Simmons bought Tasco. Any more need to be said? However, to be fair...did you try adjusting the mounts any? If they are straight and not loose and the thing is still not centered I would be surprised if Simmons would not work with you on it. Won't give you back your hunt but at least it would prevent throwing a Christmas present in the trash.

#15 ·
Good News earlier between visite to Gun and Game I removed the the Simmons scope from this 981 T 22 and reversed the mounts then remounted the scope.
I took a sheet of printer paper and made a dot a little bit bigger than a pencile eraser and attached it to a window curtain.
Next I set up my rifle then removed the bolt and lighned the bore up with the dot and then adjusted the scope accordingly.
I went outside and picked a target, which was one my son set up yesterday to shoot his KelTec 32.
I proped up against a metal building and fired 1 round and dearn all it needs is a wee bit of fine tuneing and I'm good to go.
When I first mounted the scope I ran out of Left adjustment so thats why I reversed the mounts and it worked.
Look out squirrels A.H is com'in after yee !!!...A.H lol

#17 ·
Hate to hear about your frustration Arkansas. I have owned one Simmons scope. Looked OK, but I blamed the rifle for not being able to shoot. Now as I look back on it it might have been the scope. Simmons bought Tasco. Any more need to be said? However, to be fair...did you try adjusting the mounts any? If they are straight and not loose and the thing is still not centered I would be surprised if Simmons would not work with you on it. Won't give you back your hunt but at least it would prevent throwing a Christmas present in the trash.
Bushnell bought Tasco.Tasco wasnt that bad of a scope until they started building them in China.The old Jap scopes were serviceable,the Chinese arent even good to prop barn doors open with. sam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.