Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm in an election (not erection) funk... :) I decided to buy another gun :usa:

Ordered it from Brownells ($247 - $20 coupon = $227) just a few minutes ago.

here's the skinny... (and a link if you want to read the full review)

The Winchester Wildcat (from a Guns and Ammo review)

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/winchester-wildcat-22-review/368671

My summary of the review...

- The Winchester Wildcat .22LR will win rifle of the year

- To remove the action from the rifle, push the red button located at the rear of the upper assembly. When it’s time to clean the Wildcat, one simply pushes a small red button on the back of the receiver and pulls the lower receiver assembly out of the bottom.

- On the Wildcat, the takedown button hole on the back of the receiver doubles as a port for inserting a cleaning rod so the barrel can be cleaned correctly from the breech. It’s an ingenious solution.

- Magazine Compatibility- works with all 10/22-style magazines

- The Wildcat magazine has a “load-assisting wheel” as well as a feature that activates a lock open mechanism in the rifle to keep the action open after the last shot is fired.

- Once a fresh mag is inserted, the bolt can be released by pushing a red button on the left side of the receiver or by pulling back and releasing the charging handle.

- Peep sights come standard on the Wildcat.

- Has integral top rail and there is also a short section of rail under a cover on the tip of the forend where a laser, light, bipod or sling can be mounted.

- Striker fired, weighs 4lbs and is reliable and accurate (as detailed in the review)

Winchester-Wildcat-22-770.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22-Review-Upper.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22-Review-Action.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22-Review-Magazine.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22-Review-Front-Sight.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22-Review-Rear-Sight.jpg
Winchester-Wildcat-22LR-770.jpg

·
Wonderment :)
32,571 Posts
information: :) a pinch more :)

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/winchester-wildcat-22lr-review/368845

new whiz-bang cartridges come and go, but the .22 Long Rifle just keeps chugging along. It has been made since 1887 in a huge assortment of loads from subsonic to hypervelocity, and it is justly considered the most popular cartridge in existence. Long guns and handguns of almost every shape and configuration continue to be made for the .22 LR. One of the latest is the Wildcat autoloader from Winchester.

The Wildcat (which bears the same name as one of Winchester Ammunition’s great .22 LR loadings—read more about it in the special Quick Shot report beginning on page 56) has many new features that make it unique and practical. Winchester says the Wildcat is ultra-reliable and “purrs like a kitten.” That sounds good to me.

The Wildcat is manufactured by a company in Turkey called Istanbul Silah. While this name may not be familiar to American shooters, the company is a very successful international arms manufacturer

·
Registered
893 Posts
We ar
Since I'm in an election (not erection) funk... :) I decided to buy another gun :usa:

Ordered it from Brownells ($247 - $20 coupon = $227) just a few minutes ago.

here's the skinny... (and a link if you want to read the full review)

The Winchester Wildcat (from a Guns and Ammo review)

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/winchester-wildcat-22-review/368671

My summary of the review...

- The Winchester Wildcat .22LR will win rifle of the year

- To remove the action from the rifle, push the red button located at the rear of the upper assembly. When it’s time to clean the Wildcat, one simply pushes a small red button on the back of the receiver and pulls the lower receiver assembly out of the bottom.

- On the Wildcat, the takedown button hole on the back of the receiver doubles as a port for inserting a cleaning rod so the barrel can be cleaned correctly from the breech. It’s an ingenious solution.

- Magazine Compatibility- works with all 10/22-style magazines

- The Wildcat magazine has a “load-assisting wheel” as well as a feature that activates a lock open mechanism in the rifle to keep the action open after the last shot is fired.

- Once a fresh mag is inserted, the bolt can be released by pushing a red button on the left side of the receiver or by pulling back and releasing the charging handle.

- Peep sights come standard on the Wildcat.

- Has integral top rail and there is also a short section of rail under a cover on the tip of the forend where a laser, light, bipod or sling can be mounted.

- Striker fired, weighs 4lbs and is reliable and accurate (as detailed in the review)

View attachment 156816 View attachment 156818 View attachment 156820 View attachment 156822 View attachment 156824 View attachment 156826 View attachment 156828
Looks cool, we are going to need that 200 round range report. Should take you about 30 minutes. If you do not already have them, grab a few of those 25 round mags before Biden bans them, LOL

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,281 Posts
The only thing I think they missed the mark on was making it a take down. Yes it would have added a little extra cost, yes not everyone likes a take down. Insert other reasons not to here ____________, but still think it would have been useful in a back pack with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We ar

Looks cool, we are going to need that 200 round range report. Should take you about 30 minutes. If you do not already have them, grab a few of those 25 round mags before Biden bans them, LOL
Yep...

Ordered a couple just yesterday too!

Had to do a separate order from Brownells... Ruger items in your shopping cart prevent use of coupons on all/any items in your cart (even non Ruger items). I find coupons by looking on gun.deals. I'm also a Brownells Edge member ($49 per year) so everything, regardless of dollar amount of order, is always shipped free. I buy so frequently from them it is worth it.

The $20 off (bis coupon) on the rifle plus free shipping to my FFL sealed the deal

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,281 Posts
Yep...

Ordered a couple just yesterday too!

Had to do a separate order from Brownells... Ruger items in your shopping cart prevent use of coupons on all/any items in your cart (even non Ruger items). I find coupons by looking on gun.deals. I'm also a Brownells Edge member ($49 per year) so everything, regardless of dollar amount of order, is always shipped free. I buy so frequently from them it is worth it.

The $20 off (bis coupon) on the rifle plus free shipping to my FFL sealed the deal
Supportin that good Iowa company. I drove by there once while out working. I was on a schedule and couldn’t stop. Darn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Thanks for review. What is the reason for the skeleton stock? I think it detracts from the rifle overall. Guess it makes for an affordable plinker. Have not seen one in person yet. Warmed up some to synthetic stocks as I could not resist the Ruger American compact in 22 mag. That too is lightweight and comes with a satin polished receiver and barrel.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks for review. What is the reason for the skeleton stock? I think it detracts from the rifle overall. Guess it makes for an affordable plinker. Have not seen one in person yet. Warmed up some to synthetic stocks as I could not resist the Ruger American compact in 22 mag. That too is lightweight and comes with a satin polished receiver and barrel.
The skeleton stock has the same use as any thumb hole stock. It is where you hang it on the hat rack by the door. Just like hanging up an AR by the A2 sight on the barrel. LOL

Actually, I heard or read somebody was making an accessory that would let spare mags ride in that empty spot. Should not be too hard, in the interim just stick a couple 10 round mags in there and one layer of duct tape all around should do it. Actually, it competes with others like the Savage minimalist which was announced a short time before. Only time will tell, but the ability to snap it apart and spray it down for cleaning in about 30 seconds is a big deal since many people just do not maintain guns well. This is one of those, "it is so easy a cave man can do it deals".

Just need to see that range report.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Per the reviews I've read--- simply to keep the weight down. Whole rifle only weighs 4.0 lbs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking forward to it's arrival... Brownells is a fast shipper and my LGS is only 15 min. from my house.

Will take to the range asap thereafter and post a range report

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,120 Posts
I've never warmed to the Ruger 10/22. I can't say why, given it can be customized so many different ways that there may not be two identical 10/22s on the continent, but it has always left me cold. With the exception of my AR-7 survival rifle, all of mine are vintage steel and walnut from the '50s or earlier.

I am keeping my eyes open for a Nylon 66, because the first perfect score I ever shot, I shot at Scout camp with one. Handy little rifle. I've heard there is a variant of the Seneca Green stock rifles that takes detachable box magazines, but I've also heard they are unreliable and prone to FTF problems.

But this new Winchester .22 interests me. It has a simplicity to it I find attractive. I'll have to look for one at the local gun shop.

·
Premium Member
23,735 Posts
Made in Turkey, how appropriate! :D
Some decent firearms coming from Turkey. Heck, even my CZ 28 gauge side by side was make in Turkey.

The only thing I think they missed the mark on was making it a take down. Yes it would have added a little extra cost, yes not everyone likes a take down. Insert other reasons not to here ____________, but still think it would have been useful in a back pack with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game
^^ That's a very good point Jerry. That would make a sweet back pack rifle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts