Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've never warmed to the Ruger 10/22. I can't say why, given it can be customized so many different ways that there may not be two identical 10/22s on the continent, but it has always left me cold. With the exception of my AR-7 survival rifle, all of mine are vintage steel and walnut from the '50s or earlier.

I am keeping my eyes open for a Nylon 66, because the first perfect score I ever shot, I shot at Scout camp with one. Handy little rifle. I've heard there is a variant of the Seneca Green stock rifles that takes detachable box magazines, but I've also heard they are unreliable and prone to FTF problems.

But this new Winchester .22 interests me. It has a simplicity to it I find attractive. I'll have to look for one at the local gun shop.
The Nylon 66 era, also had a 10 round magazine version, called the Mohawk 77. I have had both. They even had a lever action version and a bolt action nylon. They had brown, black. and green versions and some nickel plated. I sold my Mohawk about 10 years ago for $299 to a fellow that hunted forever wanting one. He was ecstatic to finally get a nice one. If you really want one, there is a guy in Tulsa, Oklahoma who specializes in them, buys them all over the country, repairs them and sells them. I once saw him display maybe 20-25 at a gun show, so if anyone has a nice one he would be the guy. So, Google Nylon 66 Tulsa. Chuck Hawks wrote a nice article about them. Remington (Rem.) Nylon .22 Rifles; Nylon 66, 76, 77, 10, 11, 12 (chuckhawks.com)

While they were great they were a pain to work on. As I recall, it took three hands to get the action back together because springs and parts had to fit, so so. The first time took me an hour. There was a saying in gunsmith circles that went something like, " I have had more Nylon 66s brought to me a bag, than all others combined". This new Winchester solves all those problems. Looking forward to the review on this one. I always prefer the reviews here over the gun rag reviews.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,111 Posts
There was a saying in gunsmith circles that went something like, " I have had more Nylon 66s brought to me a bag, than all others combined". This new Winchester solves all those problems. Looking forward to the review on this one. I always prefer the reviews here over the gun rag reviews.
I'll take what I can afford. At least they are old enough now to qualify for C&R status so they can be shipped direct to me.

Scotty, who owns the local gun shop and is my gun guru, says the same thing about the Ruger Mark Is, IIs, and IIIs. He's made a fair piece of change over the years reassembling Ruger pistols that customers whose assessment of their ability to disassemble and reassemble one exceeded their reality. As I have trouble with an M1911, I've never been foolish enough to attempt it myself with my Ruger Mark I!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ordered Wed. Eve the 25th, picked at my LGS today the 28th at noon... Not bad Brownells!

Will give this rifle a cleaning and lube and off to the range tomorrow. Range report to follow. So far I'm impressed with quality, features and ease of disassembly.

Barrel passes the test of sliding paper between it and stock

Can't wait to put it through some paces tomorrow

The peep sight, last shot hold open, two ways to release bolt, push button disassembly, and 4lb overall weight is a winner. It has an almost bull barrel (not pencil, not bull) and should be accurate.

Collage 2020-11-28 15_37_50~2.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How much did it set you back if I may ask. Did I hear they listed for around $250? I know my American list for $349 but often can be had for around $300 or a bit more.
$247- $20 coupon = $227 cost before tax

No other shipping or fees (I'm an edge member at Brownells and get free shipping on every order regardless of amount or if it is a firearm (I order from them frequently)

Of course, I paid Iowa sales tax and paid my LGS $20 xfer fee

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Ordered Wed. Eve the 25th, picked at my LGS today the 28th at noon... Not bad Brownells!

Will give this rifle a cleaning and lube and off to the range tomorrow. Range report to follow. So far I'm impressed with quality, features and ease of disassembly.

Barrel passes the test of sliding paper between it and stock

Can't wait to put it through some paces tomorrow

The peep sight, last shot hold open, two ways to release bolt, push button disassembly, and 4lb overall weight is a winner. It has an almost bull barrel (not pencil, not bull) and should be accurate.

View attachment 157106
this is actually one of the few .22 semi autos i'd consider over a 10/22, you know the king of 22's, but, with the features you mention here, and the price, if its reliable and shoots straight, itll be a dead ringer!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Went to the range, with my 32rd old daughter, to test fire the AR15 I built for her... (She loved it!) So I only had a few minutes, just as we needed to leave, to try the new Winchester Wildcat .22lr I picked up yesterday.

My first shots... I loaded the factory mag with only 9 rds. I shot standing at 25yds and shot rapidly. That's the target in the picture.

Observations
- the trigger weighs in, a bit heavy, at just over 6lbs per my wheeler scale - I'm spoiled by Iighter triggers in many of my other rifles
- the peep sight I like ... But 25 yds is the limit ... I would need a scope for longer (old eyes)
- the factory mag has a wheel to turn when being loaded... Means the rounds drop in easily vs fighting the spring (nice touch Winchester)
- last shot bolt holdopen is good touch for the factory mag too
- bolt can be released either by red button on left side of stock or by slingshotting bolt handle
- mag can be dropped by pulling lever in front of mag or by pulling red grooves on lower portion of foreend on either side of mag
- nice touch having to ways to release bolt and two ways to drop mag
- bolt holdopen is red button under stock in front of trigger guard
- LOP is 13.5"
- 4lb total rifle weight
- I shot some bulk Federal 36gr, some bulk Remington Gold and some Geco 40gr LRN... All cycled fine
- Didn't do any shooting from a rest for accuracy... Just shot for function testing today

The one button "remove the entire action" is glorious!!! (even the small allen wrench to adjust peep sight, if needed is stored on board the action) The bolt then comes off the action easily in one piece and voila... Cleaning is a dream. Reassembly in 2.4 seconds :)

This is a .22 I'm glad I added to my collection.

I will put it on rest soon to see how accurate it is.
1129201410.jpg
1129201241_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Thanks for review. What is the reason for the skeleton stock? I think it detracts from the rifle overall. Guess it makes for an affordable plinker. Have not seen one in person yet. Warmed up some to synthetic stocks as I could not resist the Ruger American compact in 22 mag. That too is lightweight and comes with a satin polished receiver and barrel.
I just bought my own Ruger American Rimfire yesterday in 22 WMR. 22" barrel. First gun I've bought at LL Beans'. About $100 more than Bitterclinger's Winchester Wildcat - but I think I'll be happy with it. I've only put 3 three rounds through it in the back yard using the open sights. Those seemed to be right on the money but it was at dusk. Didn't get a chance today but I think it will be a sweet shooting gun.
First thing I want to do is get 2 more mags. Undecided about a scope - I think I'll give the irons a realistic try first.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,111 Posts
The Nylon 66 era, also had a 10 round magazine version, called the Mohawk 77. If you really want one, there is a guy in Tulsa, Oklahoma who specializes in them, buys them all over the country, repairs them and sells them. I once saw him display maybe 20-25 at a gun show, so if anyone has a nice one he would be the guy.
Could you please send me an actual link? I googled as you said and came up empty. I'd like to see if I can get one that qualifies as a C&R gun. If I have to run it through my LGS, I have to pay a transfer fee and NY state tax on it, which can quickly turn a $300 gun into a $400 gun. But a C&R longarm can be shipped right to me on my C&R license.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I just bought my own Ruger American Rimfire yesterday in 22 WMR. 22" barrel. First gun I've bought at LL Beans'. About $100 more than Bitterclinger's Winchester Wildcat - but I think I'll be happy with it. I've only put 3 three rounds through it in the back yard using the open sights. Those seemed to be right on the money but it was at dusk. Didn't get a chance today but I think it will be a sweet shooting gun.
First thing I want to do is get 2 more mags. Undecided about a scope - I think I'll give the irons a realistic try first.
Glad to hear you got one. Heard they have been tough to come by recently. I too thought that light pipe front sight was awesome and really makes hitting easier than regular irons. Scoped mine again with a Vortex 2-7X32 for $129. Am more than satisfied with accuracy with the CCI 40 grain ammo. Should make a decent varmint rifle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Took it today and rested it on a wooden rest while standing

Distance - 50 feet
Ammo- federal bulk copper plated hollow point 36gr
Mags - one OEM 10 rd and a Ruger 10/22 25rd

This is the best I could do...

The peep hole is pretty big at 50' (was even bigger at 25 yds yesterday)

Cycled and shot well... But I'll be putting a dot sight or small scope on this rifle
Collage 2020-11-30 14_12_51~2.jpg

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Glad to hear it fed without issues. Yeah a scope should definitely improve groups. Vortex is good but if you don't want to spend a lot I heard Simmons and Pursuit offer rimfire scopes for around $50 that are usually 2x7. Had a Pursuit from Bass Pro. Not the best glass but held zero with good results. Nice of you to post review and results. Always glad to hear reports on new rifles. Haven't seen much else in reviews myself. First saw this model when I ordered the 2019 Winchester catalog last year. It is on the front cover in fact.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have the 3moa red dot vortex venom and a 3moa ADE green dot sight

Probably will put the cheaper ADE on it (the Winchester Wildcat) and save the Vortex Venom for another firearm.
1130201537.jpg

·
Registered
893 Posts
The more I read about that gun the more I like it. Your groups look pretty big for what I would expect that gun to do. The link you provided showed about 3 inch groups with a red dot, other articles showed 2 inches with the peep sight. Shooting Illustrated | Review: Winchester Wildcat .22 LR Rifle

Other reviews put a scope on it and got as little as .9 inch at 50. Scoping it is the only way you will know what it can do, and the only way you can head shoot little stuff very far anyway. Winchester Wildcat .22LR Review (shootingtimes.com).

I have a cheap ($50) Tasco World Class scope on several rim fires and even a couple of hunting guns. On my 1022, I can shoot about 1 and 1/2 inch groups with it at 50 yards. On my 17 HMR and 17 WSM I can get under 1/2 inch at 100 yards with those cheap Tasco scopes. My opinion is you need cross hairs to know if it is the gun or the ammo causing the larger groups. Just depends on what you want to do with it, I just know for me I can never come close with a red dot as I can with an actual cross hair. The dots are like 2 inches big at 50 yards and huge at 100 sso that naturally makes the groups bigger. I have several of those reflex sites including one on my Ruger Charger, they are great for fast plinking, just not too good for any kind of precision, but for that gun minute of coke can is good enough. Just my 2 cents,YMMV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Agreed... In order of accuracy for me, anyway (if it is like my other .22 rifles)

1st: scope with crosshairs
2nd: dot sights and buckhorn sights (eg on my Henrys)
3rd: peep sights

Distance and ammo type and my shooting position (off hand standing vs standing and with support/rest, seated with a rest, etc) are certainly other factors

Since I'll use this gun for fast fire plinking at steel and paper vs target shooting for accuracy... I'll put on the lightweight dot sight

21 - 37 of 37 Posts