Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my first Garand today and it will be at my house waitin for when I get back from this deployment. I am just wondering whats the best all around ammo fo an M1? Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of stuff is good, I use Lake City, Federal, Privi Partizan, and Remington. I heard the Greek is also very good, but have not managed to shoot any. Stay in the 150 to 180gr nothing higher or lower. You could end up breaking your operating rod using a heavier load than 180gr. Stay away from the Corrosive stuff like Korean. If its Korean don't buy it, all corrosive ammo does is rust your gun and is a pain in the ass to clean out of an M1. I shoot it, but not in my M1. Only in bolt action rifles where there is no gas system. Hope you have fun with your M1 its a blast.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Did you get it from the CMP? I would order some Greek from them, I've heard good things about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The Greek was good. I have both LC and HXP. Both are as accurate as I am.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To my knowledge, Korean ammo with the "PS" headstamp is not corrosive. But the stuff you'll find already loaded up in enbloc clips and marked "KA" is. I bought a big lot of the KA ammo and I've still got about 8 clips of it left. So far, I've been cleaning my gun every time I shoot it and I haven't had any rust problems. I got the ammo really cheap then but I honestly don't think I can afford to buy ammo for my Garand anymore unless I buy in bulk. It's nuts how much they charge for just one box of 20 rounds.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's nuts how much they charge for just one box of 20 rounds.

The same here in Europe.
They say it is because of the growth of the Chinese economy that causes a lot of metal to be used overthere.

Rob

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Chinese need that much brass and lead? Over here, I always hear it's the war in Iraq. Before, I heard something about a country in the middle east ordering a huge lot of ammo. Always with the excuses... I'm starting to think these crooks are just trying to take advantage of us. >_<

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just received 100 rounds of 30.06 and paid $7.95/20. With shipping, it came to a little over $50... I should have gone through the CMP (where I purchased and am growing old waiting for it to be delivered). It's a LOT cheaper!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Mine is now listed as "shipped"! From what I can tell I won't get it until Tuesday though. (it's friday now). What a long 3 days that's going to be.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Clinthall6, welcome to the ranks of Garand shooters. Download all the tech data you can find so you will care for your new rifle properly. The CMP site is a good place to start in finding information. Your rifle will come with a tech manual.

Bullet weight is not an issue in ammunition for the Garand. Powder selection is. Modern commercial hunting ammunition is loaded with powders that produce too much gas port pressure for the Garand. Remember your rifle was designed to shoot ammunition made to 1920s US army specification. Any ammunition the CMP sells is fine. You will not blow up your rifle shooting modern hunting ammunition, but you may damage the operating rod. Again, the CMP web site is your best source of information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts