Original contender hammer spring?

Discussion in 'Thompson' started by Pumpkinheaver, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I recently acquired my first TC Contender, it is chambered in .35 Remington. I have read that the hammer springs on the original contenders grow weak over time, mine seems weak compared to my friends.

Does anyone know a source to obtain a new hammerspring? I emailed TC, no answer yet. I tried calling them, no luck getting through.

2. Does the hammer detonate a round? I have Contenders that are several decades old and there is no indication of a weak hammer spring. Until I had a misfire, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. i got one from mike bellm.
    google him.

4. Pumpkinheaver

I get random misfires. Runs my handloads with Winchester primers 100%. Other primers are not 100%. I took the hammer extension off but have not had the chance to see of that helps yet.

5. my .223rem necked cases were going too far into the chamber and giving me light strikes.
    i got a neck size only die and that problem is gone

6. Pumpkinheaver

Well Smith & Wesson/TC customer service finally got back to me today. They are going to send me the hammer spring for free under warranty. That's pretty good customer service considering the gun was made in 1987 and I am not the original owner.