Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i decided to go shootin today. I took out my two newest rifles a Savage 110 left hand bolt in .300 win mag. and my Saiga 7.62x39 recently purchased at a local gun show. The savage was a friend of mine that i bought it from and was equipped with a Simmons 3x9x40 :sad2: the rifles shoots well and does have a kick but mangable with practice. I attemted to sight the scope a second time because last time i took it out i couldnt get it zeroed as i lay in the prone position i put the cross hairs dead center of the target and fired as i chambered the next round i noticed the scope was a little closer to my eye than i liked but decided to fire 2 more rounds to see where it was grouping. As i fired the second time the scope hit just above my left eyebrow cutting my forehead open!! Of course i said a few words id rather not mention as the blood ran down my face.. This has never happend to me in all the guns ive fired never has this happend as i checked the target an realized it hadnt even hit paper i decided the scope has to go!! Im looking for another scope does anyone have any suggestions? it has to extremely accurate take a beating and still hold zero... catch 22 i dont want to spend over $400 DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO GET??? (Leupold, Nikon, etc......) THANKS P.S the Saiga shoots like a dream and pretty accruate it just might be going to deer camp next season...lol

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I dont care for Simmons scopes but that wasnt why it hit you.You crept up on it and fired a fairly heavy recoil rifle when you were too close.You should always have a full circle and be at the point where the circle is the largest.As to shooting from prone position,I would try offhand,nealing,or sitting until I got used to it.You need a benchrest and sandbags or a mechanical device to really sight it in. sam.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont like the simmons at all but it came with it.
When your left handed and someone offers a left hand gun with less then 30 rounds fired through it for $375 i couldnt say no. I've shot it before with no problem ive been shooting big rifles since i was a kid. I guess its just one of those freak things.. either way i love the rifle im plannin on buying a bipod so it will bring the scope the eye level properly. your right the scope wasnt at eye level but i just had to try it anyway...lol.. oh well lesson learned. thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
You said you bought it used,so,the scope needs to be adjusted (that is,
the eye relief-distance to YOUR eye).If you don't like it after re-adjusted,then get that Nikon Buckmaster BDC or Nikon Monarch-
you will be amazed at the difference a couple hundred dollars makes!!!!!
(The Buckmaster is $200-$300.00.The Monarch-$350 - $450.00.)
I think the best glass in the price ranges,and yes I own one, on my
Savage 114 American Classic in .30-06.:09:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts