Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i decided to go shootin today. I took out my two newest rifles a Savage 110 left hand bolt in .300 win mag. and my Saiga 7.62x39 recently purchased at a local gun show. The savage was a friend of mine that i bought it from and was equipped with a Simmons 3x9x40 :sad2: the rifles shoots well and does have a kick but mangable with practice. I attemted to sight the scope a second time because last time i took it out i couldnt get it zeroed as i lay in the prone position i put the cross hairs dead center of the target and fired as i chambered the next round i noticed the scope was a little closer to my eye than i liked but decided to fire 2 more rounds to see where it was grouping. As i fired the second time the scope hit just above my left eyebrow cutting my forehead open!! Of course i said a few words id rather not mention as the blood ran down my face.. This has never happend to me in all the guns ive fired never has this happend as i checked the target an realized it hadnt even hit paper i decided the scope has to go!! Im looking for another scope does anyone have any suggestions? it has to extremely accurate take a beating and still hold zero... catch 22 i dont want to spend over $400 DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO GET??? (Leupold, Nikon, etc......) THANKS P.S the Saiga shoots like a dream and pretty accruate it just might be going to deer camp next season...lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just mounted a LEUPOLD VXIII 4.5x14x40 on my ENCORE muzzeloader. I spent afew dollars under 600. Take my advice, wait and get what will make you happy. Nothing worse then BUYERS REMORSE. I had a SIMMONS 3x10x44, it was on a 700, 300RUM. It worked ok, but not as good as this VXIII. I was glad I waited.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im leaning more toward leupold more than anything. One thing is for certain im done with simmons every one ive used just didnt impress me other than price.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Im leaning more toward leupold more than anything. One thing is for certain im done with simmons every one ive used just didnt impress me other than price.

I'll suggest a Leupold, but one very few consider or have heard about. A Leupold European 30mm 3-9x40. I have 2 similar Leupold Europeans and feel they are the best scope on the market...under $400. Very impressive eye relief and VERY bright. Brighter even than my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.
MidwayUSA - Leupold European-30 Scope 30mm Tube 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I used to have a Simmons 3x9x40 scope. I tossed it (literally) one evening while deer hunting. It was a rainy day, and as I raised my rifle to shoot at a deer, all I saw was a white cloudy image. I could barely make out the deer.

Long story short, I didn't shoot, and the scope is now on no rifle.

I replaced it with a Nikon ProStaff, and like it very much.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I just mounted a LEUPOLD VXIII 4.5x14x40 on my ENCORE muzzeloader. I spent afew dollars under 600. Take my advice, wait and get what will make you happy. Nothing worse then BUYERS REMORSE. I had a SIMMONS 3x10x44, it was on a 700, 300RUM. It worked ok, but not as good as this VXIII. I was glad I waited.

Sorry, but can't help but wonder why you'd want such a BIG SCOPE on a muzzleloader.....

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd suggest a Nikon Buckmaster or a Burris Fullfield II. they're both excellent and can be had for under $300. The Burris can usually be found in a package as well with either a spotting scope, binoculars, or a GPS for just under $300.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Ouch!

Simmons. They do have enough eye relief for that rifle. You want at least 3.5 to 5" eye relief for that kind of recoil. Check out the Sightron 3x9x42 at Midway Usa for about 200.00. It worked great on my 7mm WSM, my CZ 452 and now it tops my AR-15. If you have money for it a Leupold is a very clear scope. Remember 3.5 -5 in of eye relief. Show us that shiner!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The high end bushnells are supposed to be very good scopes as well. Not the cheapy $60 ones, $100+.

I've got one, but no chance to shoot with it, yet. If I don't like it, I'll throw it on my air gun lol.

You probably won't hear anyone saying Leupolds aren't one of the best out there, but you pay for it, dearly.

They do have a great warranty though. Can't say about the others, but Bushnell isn't a lifetime.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its tough decision there are so many optic companies out there.. im really considering a leupold i just got done checking out the fourum and have seen good things... maybe if i work some overtime i could get a mk4 by deerseason..haha i dont know why it had the simmons on it ive always said if you buy a 600-700 rifle and put a 39.95 scope on it your asking for trouble. i have no idea what my friend paid for it but i think someone in my family might get a like new simmons scope...lol

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I will summarize the recommendations above. Nikon, Burris, Sightron, Leupold and Bushnell higher end. Great scopes. Any of the above has a model starting around 200 and going up. 400 will buy a very nice scope from any of the above mentioned. I have owned Simmons (never again), Bushnell, Leupold, and Nikon. The only one I have not been happy with was the Simmons. I even had a cheapie Tasco that I thought was a better scope than the Simmons.

You also may want to check out Ebay. Sometimes there are some great deals to be had. I bought a used Leupold and a vintage weaver for great prices on there. Leupold has a lifetime warranty no matter who owns it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
HEY!!! EBAY!! Thanks

Does anyone know anything about "LEAPERS" scopes? Saw it on cheaper than dirt just wondering?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
HEY!!! EBAY!! Thanks

Does anyone know anything about "LEAPERS" scopes? Saw it on cheaper than dirt just wondering?
I had a Leapers 6x32 on my SKS for a couple of years and it worked great BUT, it pushed the o-ring out of the objective end. It still worked great and I never noticed it until I went to trade it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a Leapers 6x32 on my SKS for a couple of years and it worked great BUT, it pushed the o-ring out of the objective end. It still worked great and I never noticed it until I went to trade it.
i saw them and was considering tryin one one my SAIGA 7.62x39 AK

·
Banned
623 Posts
The issue is not the brand, it is eye relief. Look for a scope that has 3.5"+ eye relief.

Ron

+ 1 !!! Sir, you are absolutely correct. I own most of the scopes mentioned here already....Burris Fullfield IIs, Bushnell Elites, Weavers, Nikon Monarchs etc., and they are ALL good scopes. But, the most important thing for you here is eye relief. And I'd even look for 4" or more. My eyebrow (and nose) have been banged enough times in the past for me to know...for big calibers, lots of eye relief is the only way to shoot them comfortably and Leupold has several models for $200-$400 that offer more than 4".

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
No scope is worth the money with out good mounts and rings so make sure the package is complete. I like any of the better scopes I have some Burris, Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell, Weaver etc. would love a leo. but too much money for my tight budget. I like my Burris best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts