Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been a gun owner for all of a week now, and in that short time we've managed to rack up five guns. I guess it's not safe to get hooked on this hobby at the same time you get your tax return, huh?

The Mossy 500 and the Marlin are mine, the H&R and the Plinkster 702 are my wife's (registered here as Alleybabe), and the 802 is my daughter's.

Probably enough guns now, huh? Yeh, right...

·
Wonderment :)
33,583 Posts
habit

Alleydude: Sir; you are developing a "habit" :ugh::):) You got a good looking 'herd' started there.
Now you just gotta be careful:):):) DON"T RAN OUTTA BULLETS. Sir; that just want be good :)

Do us some range reports when you can.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
You started your collection with some great choices! Very nice set!

If you want to join the high power club and stay in the price range of the ones you have take a look at the Mosin Nagant rifles. Careful though....those things get addicting and like potato chips...no one can have just one! They call it Mosinitis!

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Thats a fantastic start! this is one habit thats hard to break.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You started your collection with some great choices! Very nice set!
If you want to join the high power club and stay in the price range of the ones you have take a look at the Mosin Nagant rifles. Careful though....those things get addicting and like potato chips...no one can have just one! They call it Mosinitis!
There are several Mosin's in our local area, most for less than $100, but for some reason they just don't trip my trigger (no pun intended).

Maybe someday. Actually, my daughter is the one that really surprises me. Since she's started using the little Mossy 22, now she's been begging for a shotgun of her own so she can go small game hunting with daddy this year. I think I've really created a monster! The wife is talking about giving her the .410 and she'll get a pump action 20 gauge... maybe.

Crap. How long until tax season 2009?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
AlleyDude I gotta ask LOL what's are you gonna buy next LOL I've caught myself mumbling here lately---I Don't need to buy that one or I have got to have that one.
There are a few more firearms I would like to have and I can't help wonder if I were to buy them, what will be the other ones I would just like to have.
It never ends wanting another gun !!!!
You honestly have some very nice guns and thanks for sharing them with us...A.H

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AlleyDude I gotta ask LOL what's are you gonna buy next LOL...
Well, as I mentioned I'm thinking of getting the daughter a shotgun, but I may even consider a 30-06 to round out the armament. There's a nice Marlin in Shootist magazine this month, an XL7 that looks as though it might have my name on it.

I dunno. I'll find SOMETHING...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i think you ought to rethink the mosins. they are by far the "most funnest" guns i have ever shot. once you see that fireball shoot out the end of the barrel and feel the report you'll be hooked on them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
allleydude..... nice batch of guns..... you didn't say how long you and your family have actually been shooting.... or how old your daughter is.... make sure she has gun safety constantly in mind..... younger kids sometimes have a shorter attention span than we might desire.... have you considered formal training courses? .... if you have taken all this stuff into consideration, good shooting......

(CAUTION: it is only about 365 days til you get your next tax return back, you'd better start planning....)

·
Registered
953 Posts
watch out guns just keep multiplying and quality gets better with every purchase, and before long you can justyfy a gun purchase that is way more exspensive than you will ever think of paying today. My collection started with a springfeild 1911 for 400. I thought paying 800 was way to much for a gun, today my price range starts at 800. Today I almost bought a steyer m4 (cant remember exact model # but it has the piston for ejection) for 1600, and it seemed like a good deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
allleydude..... nice batch of guns..... you didn't say how long you and your family have actually been shooting....
Thanks. I've actually been shooting, well, for about a week now.:D The wife shot years ago when married to her ex-husband, so she was the gun expert when we went looking for guns.

I never EVER had an interest in guns until about a year ago when the wife and I started talking about getting a gun for home protection. Then some events took place in out lives that prompted us to feel the need further for home protection, so knowing the tax return was coming, we started looking and talking. When the check came we said "let's do it". The rest is history.

Our daughter is 12, and is turning out to be a pretty good shot, at least at close range (probably 20-25 yards). When the snow clears we'll be able to move the targets back further and really test our skills.

Here's a picture of my daughter trying out her Plinkster for the first time. Yes, she's making a fashion statement as well... :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great collection and be prepared to spend every extra dollar at the sporting goods store. pajaro had a very good point about a formal gun safety and training course.
I hope to see your collection as it grows keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Glad you have something you and the whole family can do together. You have a nice collection started there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts