close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outfitting with a scope

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I read Calvin's thread below about the PSO scope he has on his SAR and the subsequent posts.

However, my question is can a full length scope go on an SAR or should a compact one be used?

I have a hard time seeing what the spent case ejection trajectory is and my wife has a hard time helping me determine it.

I just don't want to put a full length scope on it just to find out the spent casings hit it such as is inherent with the SKS with a full length scope mounted on it.

Also, if you go with a compact scope can you move it forward on the mount so the eye relief is proper?

I might have to go with the stock extension Calvin mentioned in his thread but I have no idea where to pick one up that's that thick.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Dale, I have had a long scope on my Romak AK with no problems. The cases eject low enough, unlike an SKS. My mount is the receiver-cover type with two set-screws at the rear, and is very secure. I've seen the side rail mounts, and they should work well, too.
    My mount allows decent eye-relief with shorty scopes, but I prefer the full length scopes.

3. Thanks Big Dog....much 'preciated...really....yepper.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Dale, you can use the PSO scope without worry. The scope rides just to the left of center, so there's no danger. You could try the new red dot scope, also. It projects a 1" dot at 100 yards, making it the smallest dot on the market. If I remeber correctly, they go for about $119 with the mount. Centerfire Systems has them. I am ordering one myself in a couple of weeks, just to have it. If you do get the PSO scope, get the red diode for it. It's an extra $8, but it's worth it. The standard diode is white, and it run off of a lithium battery. The red diode operates with a standard "AA" battery, and it stands out better in low-light situations. Also, get the PSO scope that's calibrated to 400 meters, as this is all you will need. If you have any questions, PM me.

:)