close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

P.M's Aren't They Private ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by taras, Mar 30, 2002.

1. :confused: I thought private messages are private, when sent to another member, we could speak freely. This doesn't appear to be the case.
    I put up a post within which I used the word pu### in referance to a small cat. The post was censored before I was returned, and as I knew no moderators were on-line, sent a P.M to a senior member who was online to clear up the confusion.:confused: The same word was censored in his private message as well.:eek: Are these messages moderated as well??
    I understand the guidelines and was wondering if the software autmatically censors any word programmed in that is deeemed to be foul language??:confused: Not a problem, just have police ourselves on the postings, but I am curious about the private messages. Are or aren't they seen only by the sender and recipient??
    We figured this is an automatic thing, just wondered for future knowledge if I send another P.M.
    Anyhow Happy Easter, enjoy the long weekend if you can.:)

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

PM's and "dirty word" filter program

taras,
    Thanks for bringing this up because the "dirty word" filter is something I'd like to comment on. First to answer your question, no, PM's are not monitored by moderators and administrators. We will not know the content of any PM unless it is reported to us by the recipient and forwarded to us. Second, the "dirty word" filter is a program which comes with this forum software. It automatically filters words on PM's since the program treats a PM like it would a post. Since the program has no way of knowing sentence syntax it works on word groups and letter clusters. I apologize for this but you can imagine why the program contained the word in your PM that was accidentally astericked. There are ways we have "tweaked" the program to avoid confusion...( when we first started, brass was edited, fixed that now), but from time to time something like this pops up. I'll see what I can do to rectify that to prevent further confusion.

Again...sorry,

Jesse

Last edited: Mar 30, 2002

3. Well thanks for the info. Just don't know whats private or not anymore, so now I know it's just a filter. Seems like a good enough idea to me, especially if you got most of the bugs worked out.