Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been looking at grips for a P14 and I noticed that on the originals as well as factory replacements, there seems to be a protrusion on the right side grip that extends back to the grip safety. Actually, it might be on the left too, I've only seen images of the right side. My questions are what purpose does this serve, and will standard 1911 grips work properly on a P14 or similar pistol? Thanks guys

Oh, and here's a link to a Smith & Alexander page that shows some aftermarket grips with the protrusions pretty clearly - Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

· Premium Member
4,133 Posts
The sometimes scratchy spur does have a purpose

The protrusion is located on both sides and fills a recess in the frame for the trigger. The grip size would have to be larger or redesigned had they not done this. Brownells also carrys a couple grips for the P14.

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I understand looking more closely now, thanks. I wonder if regular 1911 grips would work? They wouldn't fill the recess of course, but is that necessary or just for a clean look?

· Premium Member
4,133 Posts
It would likely require mortising out a little notch to make room for the rear loop of the trigger as it moves beyond what is normally the frame's exterior and into the grip panel's space.

· Registered
8,553 Posts
To revive this thread...No, reguler 1911 grips will not fit the Para P-14. I'm having a slight issue with the magazine release that may possibly be corrected by thicker grip panels, do I asked a Para guy.
Para has only one style of replacement panels...priced at $75...I need to keep adding change to the change jar.

· Registered
8,553 Posts
FYI
I just replaced my factory grips with Hogue Finger Rest Wrap-around grips. They give a nice feel to the gun and having not shot it yet with these grips on it I think the finger rests will provide better control. I'll find out tomorrow. Excellent fit.

Brownell's 408-602-245WB $19.99

· Premium Member
4,133 Posts
FYI
I just replaced my factory grips with Hogue Finger Rest Wrap-around grips. They give a nice feel to the gun and having not shot it yet with these grips on it I think the finger rests will provide better control. I'll find out tomorrow. Excellent fit.

Brownell's 408-602-245WB $19.99
I've been away from here for a while. How did the Hogue grips help?
Range report please.

· Registered
8,553 Posts
Didn't get out to my range like I had hoped. Too much going on at the same time...lol
What surprised me id these grips don't seem to have changed the feel of the wide grip but they sure feel more comfortable.
I'll do a report soon...thanks for asking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.