close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

P22 Accesories??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mico, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Guys, anyone know what fits the accessory rail on the P22? I just bought one and this is one hot little gun.

2. wp22

wp22 G&G Newbie

va
    hey mico,the rails are for alaser or a high intensity light.insight technology/streamlight M3 AND M6 are th model #s.i saw the p22 at a gun show last month , i went back to look at it to get the model # of the gun and it was gone!ive have one on order and havent gotten it yet, its about to kill me!that thing feels good in my hand!how does it shoot? thanks mark

3. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Appreciate the reply! I'm picking mine up Friday, (bless the BATF and their delays, at least they're consistent) so I''ll be posting later on. If it shoots as good as it feels, it's bound to be a winner.

A laser, huh? That'd be an awesome bunny gun.

4. wise_owl

wise_owl G&G Newbie

Egypt
    Got my P22 today at last. Put a 150 rounds through it....it's a beauty. Nice accuracy considering it's the first time I use it. Had a couple of misfeeds, but I think that is because I fired the gun before cleaning the factory grease and oiling properly. Overall I am happy.

5. wise_owl

wise_owl G&G Newbie

Egypt
    put another 300 rounds down my P22 this morning. Still happy with accuracy, but got misfeeds with the first 2 rounds if I loaded it with 10 rounds. If I put 8 rounds only in the magazine it is a lot happier. Is this just a "new gun break-in" problem or do older P22s have it as well ?

6. wp22

wp22 G&G Newbie

va
    hey wise owl, the p22 uses a feeding system that uses the blow back from a fired shell.when a cartrige is fired it blows back the slide and ejects the spent casing, at the same time feeding a new one into the chamber.sometimes if a cartrige does not have enough power to kick out the spent casing before another shell is feeding, causing a jamb! best bet is to use the highest quality ammo u can.cci stingers is a very good pace to start.i had the same problem with my ruger 10/22.it hates cheap old ammo.good luck.

7. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

I picked the gun up today, and put 200 rounds through it. Used both Federal 38 grain copper HP and Remington 40 grain, both of which my 10/22 use without a problem.

Had a dissapointing number of jams, despite cleaning and lubing. Also had a few spent casings "stovepipe" and jam the slide. Also found this gun blows the brass right back at your face like a Luger.

All in all, not what I would expect from a Walther; this gun is a bit of a disspointment.

8. Zenon

Zenon G&G Newbie

P22 Ammo

I had the same problems with my P22 until I finally spoke with someone in the know at Walther USA (Smith and Wesson actually). Best ammo to use is high velocity jacketed, like Winchester Super X or Federal JSP HV, both of which I shot in my P22 last night at the range for 300 rounds and had NO feed or cycle problems whatsoever.

These little guns are like German sports cars, they like premium fuel and good tires...

Zenon
    :target:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2002
  9. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Cool! I'll give it a shot (>snicker<), and thanks for the info. It would be nice if Walther had a blurb on their site, or something....

10. C.W.

C.W. G&G Newbie

Also try CCI Mini-Mags (round nose or HP's). I've run about 500 or so through my P22 with no problems. I also use them in my Bersa Thunder, PPK/S .22 and an old Iver Johnson TP-22...and they're only $4.00 per 100...have fun.
    C.W.

11. wp22

wp22 G&G Newbie

va
    zenon,cw thanks for your replys.i have yet to receive my p22.after reading early post i was having bad thoughts.thanks for easing my mind.ive been waiting for this gun for almost a month!ill let you guys know when it comes,thanks wp22.

12. wise_owl

wise_owl G&G Newbie

Egypt
    I recently tried Dynamit Nobel as well as Ely Ammo, both standard velocity with lead bullets, no copper jacket. Did a few hundred rounds of each without problems. Not sure if you guys get these brands in the US. Am happy with accuracy. To Mico I say I had those problems (including "brass in the face") in the first 150 rounds, but have put at least 1000 rounds after that without any trouble.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The problem seems to be caused by the slide not recoiling enough. Hotter ammo should work, or you might be able to put in a lighter spring.

14. demesbe

demesbe G&G Newbie

I bought one last December. Shot it once but experienced a lot of misfires as the safety lever went down a lot as i fired. sent to the factory for warranty and received back after a month. Went to shoot it again and it only fired a total of three rounds aside from the misfires and then the hammer failed to go down. Returned it to the warrany office sometime first week of February and I have not received it yet as of now. My dealer followed up with them last week and was told that they are awaitng parts to arrive from Germany. I am very disappointed and frustrated!!! Hopefully, the gun will be working properly when I finally get it back. Who knows when!!!

15. Mark

Mark G&G Newbie

I've got a P22 short barrel myself. And yes, I have the dreaded jams problems. In my case it is definitely related to the magazine. One magazine works flawlessly. The other, however, is a pain in the butt. The first two rounds of a full clip will jam almost every time. The tip of the bullet slams into the bottom edge of the ramp, and there it stays. I've tried different types of ammo, with slightly more success with some varieties.
    Looking at the magazines, there is no obvious differences. But something obviously is!
    The accuracy of the little guy is great. I have a hard time rounding up targets, so I've taken to shooting pine cones at 15 paces. To do that with a 3" barrel impresses the heck out of me!

16. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of hangups at the ramp as well. As for accuracy, I have an old S&W K-22 and it beats the pants off the P22 for accuracy.

I've gotten so frustrated with this gun I've decided to sell it, and use the money to buy another plinker. This gun is too **** tempermental for my taste.

17. wise_owl

wise_owl G&G Newbie

Egypt
    sorry to hear that Mico, I love my P22, now that I know what ammo it likes, I have had no misfeeds whatsover in the last 1500 rounds or so (yes, I do load only 8 rounds per magazine, but that is probably better for the magazine springs anyways !). I use Ely, Dynamit Nobel R50, and Remington anything !. All work fine. Acurracy is pretty good for a 3.5" barrel, I am looking to get a 5 inch one for the heck of it.

18. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    I just got my P22 out for the first time Sunday. I had the same issue with one magazine jamming a lot on the first round or two out of a full mag. The other mag fed 100%. This gun seems to need the rounds to be loaded ALL the way back in the magazine. The guns shoots well. I took some pictures out at the range, but I haven't loaded them in the computer. I'll try to do that soon. Overall, for $239, I don't feel the P22 was a bad buy.

later,
    AJ

19. wp22

wp22 G&G Newbie

va
    hello guys my p-22 arrived last thursday!! i have been so busy that i havent had a chance to shoot it .i will get to shoot it this weekend.my pistol came with the long barrel and not the short barrel that i thought that i ordered.the stabilzer on the end is very heavy,nose heavy.it feels good in my hand with the larger backing plate.im sory to hear about the hangup problems,ill be using winchester super x and cci stingers. has anybody used this ammo in their p-22s?i can get the short barrel from my local gun shop for 75 dollars.i thought i read somewear that the barrel cost 45 dollars.anybody out there bought one of these?i plan to use this gun as kind of backup soto speak.its a lighter than my glock 27 40cal that is my primary carry pistol.i know that a 22 is not the favorite cal for self defense but the #1 rule is if you ever end up in a gun fight you must have a gun!! i sure wouldnt want 2 cci stingers between the eyes.think about it.the low recoil of this pistol would make this very possible.thanks for all the post guys.talk to you soon. wp-22

20. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

If you're thinking about carrying this gun, think about whether or not you're willing to risk your life on a misfeed or jam at a critical moment... because a gun that isn't 100% reliable is useless for a CCW. The problems that demesbe described on page 1, that of the safety flipping closed during firing, and the misfeeds, etc. that ppl describe in this thread really indicates that this gun is mostly hype and has problems that won't be compensated for by its stylish design.

Clearing a jam during plinking is one thing... but dayam, think seriously about relying on this even for a backup. The guns I carry are guns that I would -- and hopefully will never have to -- stake my life on. If you want a reliable .22 backup, get a North American Arms derringer, they're half the price.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but truth is truth, and this gun is a badly designed weapon that needs serious re-working.