P226 Sport

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GrayHair, Mar 17, 2002.

1. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

I just looked at the Sig web site & when clicking on the P226 Sport, If you enlarge the picture It showes the 226 Sport in stainless steel with an adjustable sight. Does anyone know if the adjustable sight is an option, or is that the way it comes. Does anyone have one or seen one. I am interested in getting a 9mm & the idea of stainless steel with adjustable sights sound great. I would like to add this to my collection. I do reload & to have an adjustable sight would make it a plus for me. Does anyone know a price. Any & all info. would be great. Thanks

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, I have the black stainless P226 in .40. It came with combat sights, though adjustable sights are an option. I never heard of the "Sport" before.

3. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

I will try to get in touch with Sig to get additional info. How do you like the 40cal. Klaus. I am actually a 45 man, but I need a new toy. I know of Sig"s P220 in 45, but I am looking for something different. Thanks for the come back.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I like the .40 round a lot. It is halfway between a .45 acp and .357 magnum. Accordind to the FBI, it is about equal to a .357 in one shot stops, slightly ahead of the .45 acp, and well above the 9 mm.

5. mrmarklin

mrmarklin G&G Newbie

The adjustable sight is standard on all sport models. I have a 220 and 229 sport and both are excellent guns. I'll never sell them.

6. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

Hi MrMarklin, Just got to read your post. I went to a Gun Shop today & tried to get some more info. I was very disappointed, they did not have a single Sig handgun in the store. I was shown a 2002 yr. catalog, which was not very informative. I do know that Sig. makes a fine product, but there catalog leaves a lot to be desired. I will try another gun store tomorrow maybe they will have something to look at, other than a book. I hope there will also be a saleperson with a little more knowledge. Thanks for your reply :mad::mad:

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I do not like the combat sights too much, but the Sig pistols (at least the aluminum framed ones) have the best grips and balance of any major caliber handgun I have ever shot!

8. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

Hi guys, just a follow up, since I started this thread. Still no luck, I'm still looking. I did see a used 229, looked like it was well used. the blueing was worn off in spots. I don't think it was just holster wear. I have not given up, it still a great way to spend a day, in and out of gun shops. Will keep you informed on what my choice will be. :confused:

9. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Gray Hair,
    The Sig 229 is a fine firearm but may I suggest the Sig 228 otherwise known as the M11 in military lingo. This 9mm takes all Sig 226 hi-caps and is a tackdriver. It basically is a cut down Sig 226... really akin in size to the Sig 225, but with a double column mag. Sig 226 mags hang slightly out of the bottom but give 15 rounds... they are the easiest hi-cap Sig mags to find... Just a thought.

Jesse

10. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

OK now I am completely confused:confused: Took another trip to the toy store. I got to look at the P226,P228,P229,P220,P245. all blued, for the exception of the P220 in SS. Very nice, but The one I origionaly started this thread for, P226 in stainless steel I was told will not be out until later this year. It was an interesting day. I got lots of opinions from other customers,friends,and clerks at the store. While I was there I got to look at a (pardon me Sig) Beretta 92FS Inox Brigider. Very nice, well balanced and a nice comfortable grip. NOW YOU KNOW THIS ONLY ADDED TO THE CONFUSED STATE I'M IN. I will be going to the Range to shoot a 92FS this weekend. By the way the price was right. Will keep you informed. THIS IS STARTING TO GET LIKE A SOAP OPERA.
    To be Continued :D :D :D

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Most of the P226s I have seen were stainless, not blued. Sig puts a black coating on the stainless parts.

12. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

HI Klaus, The P226 that I am referring to is all stainless steel, slide & receiver, & left in the natural sliver color. They also have the P220 total stainless, which I did see & is quite heavy at 38.2oz versus 27.8oz for the aluminum frame.
    (thanks for your comeback:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2002
  13. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

Hi guys, Well I told you, I would keep you informed about my decision, Sorry Sig. I will have to move this post to the Beretta forum. I have just put my down payment on a Beretta Elite in 9mm. If anyone is familar with New York pistol laws, I will probably have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks for my Purchase Order to go through. ( Brady Law, 5 day waiting period would be great for New Yorkers ). Sorry Sig lovers, but the Beretta just feels better, more confortable, Thanks for all the input you guys gave me. Will post on the Beretta Forum any info. on the Elite.

:target:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2002
  14. mrmarklin

mrmarklin G&G Newbie

SIGS Are the best, but if the Beretta felt better to you, then go for it. Ergonomics are a big part of accuracy. I have an ole model 92 (old enough to have been made in Italy), and it's OK for me, but the SIGs are better.