Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok, I’ve fallen into something I know nothing about. I have a customer that brought this gun in to me and I see prices from $250 to $1250. He wants me to put it on GB, but I’m thinking of offering him something else for it for myself. Question is, what can you tell me about it, what should I offer and what should I list it for if I don’t get it?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Is it all matching? Do you know who made it? Is that a crack on the grip? I don't have my book at work, but I think the SN under 50k makes it an early BYF. They are not exactly rare though, and there are a ton of variations, and three (?) makers. Depending on who made it, I think (no book in front of me...) the prices vary wildly.

Bear in mind that none of the the current GB offerings for this pistol have any bids on them. Generally indicating the ones listed are overpriced.

I don't have enough information to give an actual estimate. I suspect this one will book out in the $400 to $800 range, but it might be quite higher or a wee bit lower.

If you want one, this looks like a good one to pick up. Last I checked grips were around $50, if that side really is chipped. You may be able to do better.

Edit to add - I only have one P38 left. I regret selling my small collection a decade ago when I needed quick money. All of mine were around $350 when I sold them. There's a lot of people asking for a small fortune for theirs, but there are a ton of these floating around still and I think those people are under the impression they are holding gold just because it's old.

Let us know if you pick it up. I'm interested.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
View attachment 123248 View attachment 123250 Ok, I’ve fallen into something I know nothing about. I have a customer that brought this gun in to me and I see prices from $250 to $1250. He wants me to put it on GB, but I’m thinking of offering him something else for it for myself. Question is, what can you tell me about it, what should I offer and what should I list it for if I don’t get it?

Blue Book is $450 - $850, and in this condition (assuming matching numbers) you're looking at around $500 to $600 base.
If it has mixed acceptance marks add 25%
Add 30% for all E/135 acceptance stamps.
Add 40% for all all E/WaA135 acceptance stamps.

This means value is between $650 and $840.

If the mag matches the serial number of the gun it is worth a little more as well.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now he's upping the price. Here we go!!!!

Can you hear him say, "....well on Gunbroker, they're going for $1000!"

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Now he's upping the price. Here we go!!!!

Can you hear him say, "....well on Gunbroker, they're going for $1000!"

This guy wants $1,000 for his?

Unless it is dual tone, has that grey/green phosphate finish, or has an FN-marked slide - like the more expensive ones on Gunbroker - they do not go for that. The one you pictured doesn't meet any of that criteria.

Does this guy also own a V-6 1996 Camaro and think it is worth the same as a '69 SS or a brand new ZL1 convertible?

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
On GB there's a lot of them with zero bids if you search in the advanced tab and the completed items. A few extremely high dollar items, but most are not...

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Going up in value lately. Is the magazine matching also? It does look pretty decent. I would say around $600-700. Am sure Gunbroker would demand a king's ransom but we all know those prices are often through the roof.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Going up in value lately. Is the magazine matching also? It does look pretty decent. I would say around $600-700. Am sure Gunbroker would demand a king's ransom but we all know those prices are often through the roof.
The market for the P-38s is definitely stronger than Lugers right now, and that does create a little bit of artificial inflation in certain markets for the one, and a little bit of a drop in value for the other.

Even in a warm market for P-38 pistols this guy will never get more than $800 - and that only from a complete rube who knows even less about these than he does.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yeah Pale guess the market is still pretty strong for Third Reich items. Collector market drives the prices I assume. Unmolested 98ks still seem to be bringing inflated prices. Gunbroker prices have shocked me. R/Cs bringing $600 or more. Often wish I had a crystal ball. If I had a few Lugers I would be tempted to move em now.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Same here, if
Yeah Pale guess the market is still pretty strong for Third Reich items. Collector market drives the prices I assume. Unmolested 98ks still seem to be bringing inflated prices. Gunbroker prices have shocked me. R/Cs bringing $600 or more. Often wish I had a crystal ball. If I had a few Lugers I would be tempted to move em now.

Same here, if I had only known, I would have bought a case of Nagant revolvers when they were going for $40 each when they first came in....man oh man...

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Same here, if

Same here, if I had only known, I would have bought a case of Nagant revolvers when they were going for $40 each when they first came in....man oh man...
Back when it was nearly impossible to get ammo and even the conversion kits were unobtainable I had a chance to buy a single action Nagant for $35 and a double action for $45.

Back then, in my mind, a gun wasn't even worth that if you couldn't shoot it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Back when it was nearly impossible to get ammo and even the conversion kits were unobtainable I had a chance to buy a single action Nagant for $35 and a double action for $45.

Back then, in my mind, a gun wasn't even worth that if you couldn't shoot it.
You are right, but that doesn't stop people from trying to sell them for 800 on up, without ammo or conversion cylinder that may or may not work. Same with all surplus currently, like everyone's favorite talk down gun, the Mosin Nagant, which, at one time, ammo wasn't available for it much either when it first hit the markets here. Me, I want a Luger P08, but not so much of a fan of the $1000 price bump on them. Its what dreams are made of...

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
You are right, but that doesn't stop people from trying to sell them for 800 on up, without ammo or conversion cylinder that may or may not work. Same with all surplus currently, like everyone's favorite talk down gun, the Mosin Nagant, which, at one time, ammo wasn't available for it much either when it first hit the markets here. Me, I want a Luger P08, but not so much of a fan of the $1000 price bump on them. Its what dreams are made of...
Geez, blue book on those is still under four bills.

As for Lugers, those, as I stated before on this site, seem to be going much lower than that around here. You can get a really nice condition basic Luger for under $800.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Wow surprised lugers have taken a dip. Have not seen one here at my LGS in some time. Bout 7 years back saw a 37 dated one on consignment for $1800! Does see like Mosins and even Jap 38 and 99 models are increasing for a while. Mentioned way back a friend paid $25 for a Type 99 in 7.7 back in 1972. If the mum is intact bringing a hell of a lot more today.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Wow surprised lugers have taken a dip. Have not seen one here at my LGS in some time. Bout 7 years back saw a 37 dated one on consignment for $1800! Does see like Mosins and even Jap 38 and 99 models are increasing for a while. Mentioned way back a friend paid $25 for a Type 99 in 7.7 back in 1972. If the mum is intact bringing a hell of a lot more today.
My theory is that Lugers are prize pieces so they are harder to justify than the P.38, which is both a prize piece and a still-great and dependable gun design you could shoot on the regular without fear.

One little numbered piece on a Luger breaks and you are screwed, but baseline mixed-part P.38s still have a bit of value and it wouldn't matter as much. A lot of people let it slide since so many stayed in service for so long after the war. Also, less small parts ARE numbered or prone to breakage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts