close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

P89 accuracy?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnD, Apr 5, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

Any body have one and what kind of acurracy do you get from a rest? I am thinking about getting a new one and would like anybodys opinion on these guns. Do I have to worry about the alluminum alloy wearing out prematurely like say at 20'000rds? Has anyone put allot of rounds through one?

2. I've got the stainless one,I've probably put close to that thru mine.I shoot mine mostly at the 25 yd gongs at the range.their about 6" in diameter,and I hit them most of the time,if I'm trying.I haven't found any ammo it won't feed,I shoot Wolf all the time for plinking with no problems.It's the semi-auto I own that I have the most trust in,I would pick it first to defend my family.Ruger makes an excellent firearm,I own quite a few,no problems.One thing though,I had to put about 500 rounds thru mine till I got it broke in,and started doing good with it.Hope this helps.

P.S. After all the rounds I've shot,you can't really tell it's been shot that much,I take care of mine.It's easy to dissasemble.

3. I don't have a p89, i have a P94. I have put nearly 10,000 rds thought it. And like Duck223 after thr first 500 or so rounds, i have NO problem shooting any type of ammo. Again after 10,000 rds my gun still looks new!!! As far as accuracy I can hit 12 ga shells with it at 10 paces. I have been very happy with the stlye of ruger pistols. I would recomend this type of pistol to any one.

4. I have put several thousand rounds through mine without a problem. Mine did not really need breaking in either. As far as accuracy mine shoots around 3"-5" at 25 yards on a good day. It seems to be picky about ammo as far as accuracy goes. My reloads using AA7 as the powder seems to by far do the best. I think the frame would last longer than say 20,000 rounds. Mine still looks good. I have a Kimber that outshoots my P89 easily. The beauty of a Ruger P89 though is you can by 2 of them for the price of my Kimber. Or buy a reloader with the left over money. Another bonus is 15 round mags are still fairly easy to find

5. JohnD---I've owned a P89DC for several years now. Great pistol. I bought it a gun show brand new. It shot very well right out of the box. Didn't require a break in period. I've put about 6 to 7000 rounds through it--never had a problem with it. I've compared it's accurracy with a Glock that I borrowed from a friend. I shot as well with my Ruger as i did with the Glock. The only time I had a problem was when I put a set of Pachmyer grips on it. The grips allowed the pin that holds the ejector in place to fall loose on one side causing the gun to jam. I changed to a set of Houge grips hadn't had a problem since. I'v been a Ruger fan and owner for over 25 years.

6. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My first duty weapon was a P95 which is very similiar to the P89. Several deputies in my old department carried the P89. I have fired them and found that they are extremely pratical and adequate for any kind of shooting in the personal defense spectrum. You won't go wrong with the purchase. It's an affordable, sensable fire arm made by a well respected manufacturer.

7. blackstangs281

blackstangs281 G&G Newbie

I've put about 3000 rounds through my P89. The gun is flawless, and the accuracy is as good as my Para Ordnance and Beretta. I only wish they would make a laser grip for this gun.

8. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Just bought p89, haven't fired it, does anyone know of the approxamate service life?

9. rocketmonty

rocketmonty G&G Newbie

have a p-93 that is very good for the price back them.

10. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

Hum I see that all of you have had pretty good luck with yours. I can't seem to hit crap with it. I have tried and tried. I thought well maybe it is me so I picked up my other pistol a PA-63 and I can shoot better groups with it. With the Ruger I can't even make a group. Then I let my GF try it out. She shot it without a problem. I guess I need some more practice with it. Anyone have any pointers? I can't understand how I can pick up a gun of similar caliber and be deadly with it then pick up this Ruger and not hit the target at all. I have tried all three of my handguns and this is the only one I seem to have alot of trouble with.

11. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

That's a sign that you need to send it to me to rid youself of bad juju! :D

12. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

I think it is the grips on it actually. It just doesn't feel good in my hand. I have thought about buying different grips but hate to spend money on it when that might not make any difference. I have a friend who said he wanted to buy it from me but I think I am going to take it out again today and see if I can get any better with it before I give it up.

13. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Ive finaly shot my p89, very accurate, the single action trigger pull is a hair trigger but thats what you should expect from a single action trigger pull, had no problem hitting pop bottles at 35 yards, very happy with recoil and accuracy.

14. Try it with a sandbag cushion or two. And work on your trigger pull. Check your sights to see if they are loose.

15. Not trigger "Pull" Doc, trigger squeeze! Like loving on a fine lady, technique always outshines enthusiasm!

16. GoodAim

GoodAim G&G Newbie

I am going tomorrow morning to try some stuff I learned today at the range. I hope that it works. I also added Hogue Grips to my P89. It feels much better in my hand. I think real my trouble is my long fingers.

As far as the sights they are good and tight. As I have said before my gf has no trouble once so ever with shooting this gun. Her groups are nice. I will add though she does have some military training that I lack. I will come back tomorrow hopefully with a target full of center mass shots.