PA-63 mags + serial#

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by E.M.T. Paul, Jul 16, 2002.

1. E.M.T. Paul

E.M.T. Paul Guest

1st Q my mage dont feed the hollow points very good-one mag almost not at all-should i get new mag springs or new mags?? also the # on my gun is AA-0508 would that make it an early one??? thanks ALL

2. FEG

FEG Guest

PA-63 Mags

If the one giving you trouble is the parkerized mag, don't worry about it. The spare mags for the holster have what looks like grey parkerization to protect them from the leather. Out of five PA-63s I have handled, these were always stiff and brand-new looking. This may be because a) they were NEVER used b) the coating makes them "bind" somewhat. It doesn't matter; they eventually become reliable on their own.

If the "problem" mag is the blued one, I would try another brand or loading before messing with mag springs. Our guns have always done fine with Barnaul JHPs. The Silver Bear ammo is a rough feeder in every caliber/bullet weight, to my knowledge. 9x18 was originally conceived as purely an FMJ cartridge; European pistols tend to prefer JHPs with an ogive similar to FMJ. Barnaul certainly fits this description; many others don't.

As far as I know, there is no good source of info for tying a particular pistol serial # to a particular year. All Century imports I have seen start with "AA" or "AK," but so does my KBI import ("AK").

Good luck!

3. E.M.T. Paul

E.M.T. Paul Guest

i use barnaul hollow points--my mags are blued one has match #---thanks for the info i hope it feeds better with use by the way all # match on my gun!!

4. nick

nick Guest

has anyone conformed a grip yet to tame down the sting

5. FEG

FEG Guest

Yes, a fellow was advertising them on the old GnG FEG forum. I lost the contact info. It should be in the archives.

The web/thumb "sting" is easily fixed with a stronger recoil spring. I'm not sure if the custom grips help much...

6. Go back to the earliest posts on this site. I have a set--very nice. JPM.

7. JPM

JPM Guest

Grips

Thanks Alan!

The current design is focused more on concealed carry and getting rid of the thumb rest.

I have been playing around with an 'oversized' version and have some hopes there.

Any opinions would be appreciated....My general idea is to create a wider 'back plane' by extending the wood to match the metal backstrap profile, adding about a 1/2 inch in width to the total grip width. The one set of trail grips I had time for didn't go quite that far (currently installed on my own '63)...but I'll be working on it as time provides.

As it goes I've still got an bulk order for Makarov.Com to finish up, the CZ-40 prototype to finish, some more SMC-380s, and I did just get the first CZ-50/70 prototype cut & finished.

John

8. FEG

FEG Guest

jonbenjon,

I wasn't trying to dismiss your grips, but I recall that you didn't want to make any representation about the web "sting" when you began making the grips...

Some of the "sting" is caused by the stock grip, in that the stock grip "naturally" puts your hand in an "awkward" position (sort of an oxymoron). You can shoot a stock PA-63 in such a way that the Russian commercial ammo does not hurt you! This is not a natural grip for me (it is also not the same grip index you would have upon drawing the pistol). Wolf, Barnaul, and Novosibirsk all tore the @#%^ out of my hand with the stock config. In my case and several others, changing the recoil spring helps (as in eliminated the problem).

I have seen JPM's grips on the net (esp. makarov.com). They are an attractive product; they look top-notch. They HAVE to be better. NO ONE could possibly make an inferior grip to the OEM one. I cannot see a relatively honest (and sane) person sinking as much time into these as he has, without making something a lot better!

Not an advertisement; just an acknowledgement...

9. Hey John--long time. Hope everything is going well for you. Hope to get a picture of my Jatoba grips up soon. I haven't shot the pa yet-- the grips definitely feel better.