Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pa. Gun laws

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mauser9, Jun 13, 2012.

  1. mauser9

    mauser9 G&G Evangelist

    Was hoping one of you Pa. residents could chime in and inform me if residents need any type of license to possess a rifle or shotgun in your state or if they just do a instant background check. Thanks for any input

  2. 338RUM

    338RUM G&G Evangelist

    It is a instant background check but you need to have a PA liscense.
  3. mauser9

    mauser9 G&G Evangelist

    PA gun laws

    Thanks pal. Figured it was a lot easier than my state. Here we have to pay $100 for permit and you better have a hight capacity permit even if you own a Rem1100 that can be converted to hold more rounds. Thanks Again
  4. 338RUM

    338RUM G&G Evangelist

    Also a concealed carry liscense is a "shall issue" meaning you will get a CC permit as long as you are not a felon. PA has some of the best gun laws east of the mississippi and north of the mason dixon.
  5. 9mmXDm

    9mmXDm Suspended

    No you do not need a permit to purchase or poses a rifle or shotgun here in PA.

    However you do need a LTCF ( Lisence To Carry Firearm) to conceal carry a handgun here in PA. Also you will need that same LTCF to open carry in class three cities such as Philladelphia. These are a shall issue Lisence as long as your not a criminal. Issued by your county, not the state. Go to the local courthouse to obtain it which can take up to 45 days to get. This allows you to also conceal carry in your car locked and loaded as well.

    Also pertaining to rifles and shotguns. You may have them in your car, but you cannot have them loaded while in transport. You can also sell rifles and shotguns to other PA residents who are not criminals face to face without going through an FFL.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. Bish.41MAG

    Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

    No point in another PA guy responding .... They covered it.
  7. TXplt

    TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

    PA is in general a very pro gun state--amongst a bastion of anti-gun states (PRNY, PRNJ, PRMD, etc.).

    Just to clarify--you do NOT need a PA license to buy a long gun in Pennsylvania--the LAW is that they can sell a rifle or shotgun to a resident of most states (there are three or four states PA can't sell a rifle or shotgun to--not sure what they are but TX is not one of them. Some of the store folks at Dicks and some other big box places are ignorant of the law--but long guns can be sold to residents of most other states). You will need to fill out a 4473 and do a NICS check as well as a PA State Police background thing ($5. tariff). The check is pretty quick and takes about 5 minutes.

    To buy a handgun in PA you must be a resident of PA (again do not need any type of permit--fill out a 4473 and do a NICS and PA state police check ($5. tax as well and takes about 5 minutes or so). If you are moving into or transiting, visiting, etc. PA you may bring your guns with you without any type of permit or registration, etc.

    PA firearms laws are actually pretty good. It is an open carry state and as long as you open carry somewhere other than PHL you are usually fine.

    You DO need a CHL or PA License to Carry Firearms to carry a loaded handgun--concealed or not--in a car. Loaded long guns may not be carried in cars. You need a PA LtCF or valid reciprocal state CHL to carry concealed. Reciprocity can be found on Handgunlaw.US or on the PA AG website. PA is pretty good about recognizing other states' CHLs but not vice versa.

    PA is EXTREMELY good about the shall issue permit process for a license to carry firearms (required for carrying concealed or carrying a loaded gun in a car--although if your spouse or parent has a LCTF in a car registered to them they can keep a loaded handgun in the car without your having one). Permits are applied to the county sheriff, are about 26 bucks, and require ONLY a form be filled out with ID (NO training). No fingerprint cards, pics will be taken at the sheriff's office. The LCTF must be issued (or denial reason given) within 45 days, most sheriffs are much better than this and many are VERY pro gun. If you want a resident license you must have a PA license. If you are a non-resident applying for a LCTF it is pretty easy, but you DO need a CHL from your home state if they issue CHLs.

    Hope this helps :)
  8. 9mmXDm

    9mmXDm Suspended

    FYI the price of the LTCF varies from county to county. Mine was $30.
  9. mauser9

    mauser9 G&G Evangelist

    Many thanks to all that answered my thread. I believe your state will honor my permit but does not recognize permits from other states.
  10. 9mmXDm

    9mmXDm Suspended

    Unless your bringing a handgun into PA and your conceal carrying it you don't need a permit. Just make sure the pistol is in a locked box and any ammo and magazines are stored in another part of your vehicle. YOU DO NOT NEED A PERMIT OR LICENSE FOR A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN. Unless it is NFA and then you'll need to keep that TAX STAMP with you at all times.

    Also look here because PA does have reciprocity with other states. This pertains to conceal carrying in PA and also for Class3 cities such as Philladelphia when your OCing.
    Pennsylvania's Firearm/Gun Carry Permit/License Reciprocity

    If you want a LTCF for PA,
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  11. TXplt

    TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

    Didn`t see where you were from but 9mm`s link will tell you reciprocity. You can also get a PA permit easily if you stop by a county courthouse with the PA form filled out (if you google ______ county license to carry firearms the form will be on their website as well as application procedures and hours of operation. Your permit can be from ANY state so long as it is your residence--even a non-reciprocal one--and if you are from the PRIL you can apply without one), a copy of YOUR home state permit, and a check for a little less than 30 bucks. They will mail you a permit from PA--they are good for 5 years. It used to be you could apply by mail to the centre county sheriff (who had OUTSTANDING service) and they would mail you a PA license; as the hack anti gun governor he was, Herr Rendell had the law changed so you now have to show up in person at the county courthouse (Rendell also stalled the castle stuff; Tom Corbett seems pretty good and pro gun). I would get one personally--it is reatively painless, cheap, and another permit. ANY county courthouse can do it; the ones I stopped by in western pa were very courteous and efficient and seemed very pro gun as well.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  12. mauser9

    mauser9 G&G Evangelist

    re Permits

    many thanks guys for the additional info. Answers my questions and I might add have had the good luck and priviledge to hunt deer in your state a few times. The atmosphere in the Westfield and bucksport area is not to be beaten. High Power rifle and whitetails at its very best and nice people to boot Thanks again
  13. cooker300

    cooker300 G&G Evangelist

    9mm pretty much covered it.
    like he said you dont need a ffl to buy and sell between residence. but it is advised to use one.
  14. 9mmXDm

    9mmXDm Suspended

    If your a PA resident selling to a PA resident (That you know is not a prohibited person.) you don't need an FFL to sell or purchase a Rifle or Shotgun face to face.

    If your a PA resident selling to a resident of another state (That you know is not a prohibited person.) you will need an FFL and vice versa if your from another state selling to a PA resident.

    And in any event you will need an FFL to transfer a handgun period.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  15. E_005

    E_005 G&G Evangelist

    You're right Centre county works fast and easy (that's where I got my non-resident permit from), but they no longer allow you to do it by mail. You now have to go in person.
  16. cooker300

    cooker300 G&G Evangelist

    ya i know i agreed with you that you dont need one but its advised.

    for the simple reason i buy a gun from you and go shoot somebody and the gun is still registered to you. we both go to jail.(they will get you for being accomplish) but if its registered to me I'm the only one who goes to jail
    that and other than changing who its registered too its a great proof of sale
    when i worked at gander mtn in the fire arms dept any P2P sale i did both parties got a photo copy of the paper work
  17. mauser9

    mauser9 G&G Evangelist

    Re Permits

    Thanks again Guys. My state of Ma. is real crap gun laws as you may well know. Ma. will not recognize concealed carry permits from other states. In fact handguns have to be compliant with torture tests standards to be sold in state. Manufacturers must submit ex number of each model to be tested if they want to sell in Ma. Gun permits are up to $100 to be renewed every 5 or 6 years.
  18. cabinnut

    cabinnut G&G Evangelist

    I've lived here in PA all my life and deer season, at least in the northern and western parts of the state, is not so much a sport as it is a religion. First Monday after Thanksgiving is opening day for rifle and in most towns across the northern tier few businesses are open. Some school districts close for the first two days, nearly all for at least the opener. The Saturday before there is heavy traffic all along Rt. 6 from east to west. Oh, what memories of PA buck season!
Draft saved Draft deleted