close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Patch goes Pooof...and disapears.????????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok new to this and I read that you should "read your patches" realy have no clue what I would look for too begin with but Ive been looking all over for my fired patches. Im useing T/C precut .10 prelubed (ok Im lazy) with bore butter...around a .490 ball. Loads range from 60 grains to 120 of black powder or pryrodex FFFg. out of a T/C scout /(1:38 twist) and a Traditions panther (1:48 twist).

????
    1. If (I only found 2 patches so far) I ever find these darn things what am I looking for?
    2. For some reason I can not find these patches..like they burn up or something...the 2 non-prelubed patches I did find were burned and ripped to peices. Is it common for the patches to be destroyed upon fireing? Is it the bore butter lube? I've seen soem powder sticking to the patches as I seat them so I figured they got rosted. I have shoot these guns 4x alone on a range and walked to/from the target to shooting line back and forth in a path about 20 yards wide and aint seen nothing...Coures in my mind they should all be laying around in about the same place..

Thanks All.:confused: :confused:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yeah they burn up...wouldn't you with a black powder charge chasing your a s s out of a barrel!!!???...lol

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    If i recall, your still a bit new on this muzz thing. That's OK don't sweat it. You didn't mention how your groups were? FFFG may be getting a pretty good fireball behind it frying your patches. Try some FFG. This is typically more common for the 50 Cal. Also try a thicker patch possibly .015. Nothing wrong with pre-lubed may want to ad a touch more to it, go for it!
    READING PATCH SIGNS
    Burned out patch; If the patch material is too frail, too thin, or improperly lubriated, it may burn through on firing.

Efficient patch; A patch that is working efficiently will be intact. The area behind the ballwhich was exposed to hot powder gas will be blackened.

Source TC Shooting BP Guns

Hope this helps.

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Too much powder. 45-60 grains should do it.
    You should be able to put a full size bed sheet on the ground and the patch should hit it after fired. I've used two sheets end to end. This also is a weight to judge unburnt power.

5. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

My measure only goes down to 60 grains...gun store recomended 90-100 grain loads... I post some pic of my group size 4" at 100 yards and key hole figure 8 holes at 50 so I am very happy. Ill have to get a smaller measure device. Ive went through 50 Ball-ets, 100 round balls 25 sabots, some maxie balls and 2 pounds of powder. The Ball-ets did not seem to do well from eather rifle. The patch/ball did better in the Traditions. The T/c likes the sabots. Ill keep adjusting the loads and looking for the patches. I do get a Mosin Nagant fireballs. Ive been useing Magnum Caps as recomended by my dealer...they sure get chewed up..

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thank you, I got a million of 'em, a million I tells ya...

7. Saright- there's that voice again. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  8. savageT

savageT G&G Newbie

My first impression is that your two guns have very fast twists...(1:48; 1:38) so I don't think ball and patch are going to work very well! I have a Traditions sidelock w/ 1:32 twist and I'm using sabots and T/C maxihunters. Never tried patch and ball but there's always tomorrow! Have you used the new Hodgden Triple 7????
    JimT

9. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

May have found out part of the problem...was loading up my range box and noticed the lable for the patches in the bottom...Im useing 54-56 cal patches...015 with a 50 cal .490 ball. Still I like the groups so Ill keep playing with it. Hopefully rain will stop and Doglips make smoke in the morning....

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    interesting, keep yer powder dry!