Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few months, the members of the U.S. Olympic Shooting Team will head to Beijing for the 2008 Olympics. The host country is expected to provide stiff competition for our men and women. But did you know that the Chinese shooters stand to make millions if they win five gold medals?

Chinese state-run media have reported that a company that makes an alcoholic drink called baijiu have promised the team more than ten million dollars if they capture at least five medals. In a country where the average income is just over $2000 a year, that's quite a payday.

Our own shooters don't stand to make millions if they bring home some gold, but they'll be fierce competitors nonetheless. They're representing the home of liberty and freedom, and they don't need to be bribed with the promise of riches to do their best.

More...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What makes you think that the Chinese Government would not just confiscate the money? If the team members actually get to keep the money I hope they win it.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
What makes you think that the Chinese Government would not just confiscate the money? If the team members actually get to keep the money I hope they win it.
The Communist regimes have a long history of treating their athletes very well if they win, including money, fancy homes and lots of personal freedom. So I'm willing to believe they'd get to keep the money--or most of it, anyway.

Of course, those same regimes aren't very nice to losers...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Our own shooters don't stand to make millions if they bring home some gold, but they'll be fierce competitors nonetheless. They're representing the home of liberty and freedom, and they don't need to be bribed with the promise of riches to do their best.
I don't see it as a bribe, but as a reward. And if the American team was promised a substantial reward for success, they might try harder.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I don't see it as a bribe, but as a reward. And if the American team was promised a substantial reward for success, they might try harder.
I doubt it. Do you really think they aren't already giving it everything they have?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm sure they are, i was just saying. However, I always want to win any competition I'm involved in, but if someone offers me a couple mil, that's a little extra motivation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts