Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

If you have read my other post you know that I am just coming into the hunting world. While I have been hunting before all the guns and calls and bullets and everything else was already taken care of.

After asking some people on this forum some questions I have decided to get the Tikka t3, however I am unsure of what caliber. I was going to get it in .300 but I am wondering on all of your opinions. The gun will be used primarily for hunting but will do a fair amount of shooting at the local range as well.

I am just wondering on what caliber you all think is the "perfect deer caliber"

Thanks for your info

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the .270? Some people have suggested this because it has a flatter trajectory but most of my shots will be inside 300 yards and there isnt that much drop in that short of a distance is there?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
FatChance said:
What about the .270? Some people have suggested this because it has a flatter trajectory but most of my shots will be inside 300 yards and there isnt that much drop in that short of a distance is there?
I dont have any experience with the .270, but from what I hear its basically a 30-06 necked down to .270 and with higher velocities. Not sure how much difference the higher velocities make.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Good choice with the Tikka. The 270 is a great cartridge, and has a devote following. Personally ,though, I like the 30cals. If your just hunting deer, the 300 might be a tad overkill. Not to mention the stout recoil. You really don't need that much to take down a deer. What kind of deer will you be shooting? Also what other animals will you be hunting with this rifle? Do you plan on reloading?
Like was mentioned a 308 or 30-06 will do great. A set up like yours chambered in 308 topped of with a Burris B-Plex scope would make an excellent rig.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
There is nothing wrong with .30-.30 either. Although I don't have a .270 I have friends who do and they swear by their .270's as well.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't underestimate the smaller faster cartridges, .22-250 .223 even the .204, many white tail have been taken with the .30-30. I'd give more thought to range and terrain, if you're going to hunt in heavy brush short range the .45-70 will plow a straight line through heavy brush, if you're shooting 300 yards over open ground .308 or .30-06. Small high speed bullets cause massive wounds, 650 pound buffalo have been taken with a single .204. Enlighten us with some more information as to the type of area you plan to hunt.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

·
Registered
999 Posts
my dads got a .270, it is a serious cartridge, and is perfect for deer, or varmint shooting also, just change the loads for the situation.

However I'm sticking with the .303, or the .223, or maybe the 44/40 lever, I've used them all on deer and never lost one, the .223 is really only good for head shots though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For all around use it's hard to beat the 30-06.

I'm hunting in a state park this year. Can't afford the deer to run too far or they're someone elses. I'm using my Puma 92 in 480 Ruger for up close during the day and a 300 Ultra Mag for my evening long shot. But in reality my 30-06 would handle both just fine.

This year we have to shoot a doe and tag it before shooting a buck.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
30.06!

You might get away with less depending on the range, size of the deer, shot placement with no bone mass hit, etc.

But why chance a lighter bullet not efficiently doing the job when a heavier bullet in the 30.06 usage will get the job done more efficiently?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
.308 or 30-06, If you want a little less recoil get a 7mm-08. Any of the above will take down any deer that is on this planet.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The 30-06 / .270 calibers are hard to beat for most deer hunting. I would pick the 30-06 over the .270. It has better bullet selection by weight, and in my experience, better terminal performance. I have helped hunt several deer shoot with a .270. If you do go with a .270, make sure you use premium ammo (ballistic tips). As previously said, if you intend on shooting it at the range, avoid anything larger than the 30-06. It will be too painful to enjoy shooting it that much. However, if you to routinely shoot 300+ yards the .300 may be worth it.

The guns get a lot of discussion on these threads, but putting a decent scope on what you buy will make much more of an impact on performance than the choice between an 30-06 or 270. No need to go all out, but don't go cheap on the scope! A cheap scope will turn a fine rifle into a piece of junk quick. In truth, most of the “well-knownâ€￾ name brand rifles nowadays are “fairlyâ€￾ close in quality and accuracy potential. But, that is not true of the scopes. Price is actually a decent indicator of scope quality as a general rule. I would recommend something in at least $150 + range if you can swing it (more $ if you got it). Enjoy

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Otter said:
Don't underestimate the smaller faster cartridges, .22-250 .223 even the .204, many white tail have been taken with the .30-30. I'd give more thought to range and terrain, if you're going to hunt in heavy brush short range the .45-70 will plow a straight line through heavy brush, if you're shooting 300 yards over open ground .308 or .30-06. Small high speed bullets cause massive wounds, 650 pound buffalo have been taken with a single .204. Enlighten us with some more information as to the type of area you plan to hunt.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
650 LB Buffalo with a 204?????
Not to start anything, but our friend is refering to a good overall deer caliber. The 204 was created for Varmints and is very effictive. Shot placement is everything, yes, but if I am ever faced with a Pi$$ed animal that size I will be caring a much MUCH larger caliber. I do see where you are coming from with the view of possibile senarios and with the ability of a good shot placement, taking very little bullet to achieve you goal. But still would reccomend a decent caliber for the intended purpose.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts