penatration

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tommy, Sep 8, 2002.

1. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

what is the thickest back drop or tree or you have penatrated all the way through with you're ak. for me it would be a 5 1/2 inch healthy tree at about 25 yards with wolf ammo. i also have on tape a round from an ak 47 and a ak74 colide in mid air . also has any one fired thier ak at night . cause when i taped my son and friend shooting my ak .every so many rounds would come out the gun glowing red to orange .and this was during the day.it sure made a good video. it almost looked like tracer rounds. i was thinkin it could be the barrel heating up but then all the rounds would light up right?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2002
  2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You know, I found the same effect (apparent tracers). It could be one of several things, being as my experiences involved taping as well. One is that with the frame rate of the camera, the bullet would only be visible if it appeared at the point a frame was captured. Another is that some rounds may be a tracer, though that is often only true of mil surp ammo.

As far as penetration goes, I know someone who did a science project comparing the penetration of varied calibers, including 7.62x39mm out of an AK. Their depth was about 6.5", but I don't remember if they used FMJ or HP.

3. J.A.

J.A. Guest

24" Oak tree,6" steel pipe,1/8" steel plate,concrete blocks,bricks,and telephone poles using steel core ammo. The glowing was burning powder that was not completly burned till the bullet left the barrel.

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Is the streak coming out of the rifle or does it appear farther forward?

5. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

the streak comes out the barrel and glows althe way to the target at about 25 to 30 yards out. it has to be the bullet because the two rounds that i got on tape colideing .were glowing.then when they hit they shatterd into about 50 peaces and the peaces glowed too. for a short distance that is

6. tonto

tonto Guest

Tommy ya' gotta get a pix of that movie for us on line here man, sounds too cool i want to see it, is there a way to take a pix from a frame on video?

7. tonto

tonto Guest

oh yeah forgot to reply about penetration- cut a coyote in two with 123 grain hp ammo at like 50 yards- poof and there was two!
    6" cedar fencepost, 1/4" boiler plate at 100 yards and a john deer bailer chute .

8. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i would like to post the pic from the video but don't know how too. if anyone can tell me how to get them from vhs tape .to in my computer . i would be happy to. it is truelly a must see.