Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,368 Posts
Totally agree. How did we get to this point? I'm no spring chicken but I ain't that old either. Growing up in the mid-west in the 70's and 80's everyone would have been considered radical preppers by today's standards. We had thunderstorms in the summer and fall that knocked power out for hours/days. We had snow and ice storms that knocked power out for hours/days+ in the winter. We had wind in the spring that knocked power out for hours/days. And of course, we had 1970's - 1980's grid technology that failed at random times simply because it was 70's and 80's technology. We knew it. We expected it. We prepared for it. It was not an "alternate lifestyle". It was life. You were not a "prepper". You were just prepared.

I shudder to think what would happen today if the S really did hit the F.
The big difference then is there weren't the stupid rules in construction limiting fireplaces, and that furnaces or heat sources IN construction ran without electricity. Those are rare now if you're in a suburban area with newer homes; usually there's so much building rule crap and restrictions that most everything needs electricity to function.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,368 Posts
I was just posting in another thread about renewable energy and how it can be successful. Down in Kodiak they have been 99% renewable (wind and hydro) since 2014 and they have some harsh weather conditions. It can be done, but only if you properly engineer it with a safety factor (such as irregular weather), have the proper geography for the system, and you take the necessary steps to maintain the system. Miss one of those three items and you will have a failure.
lol....ALL energy is renewable and all is not. (for the 'not' part all forms of energy devolve into heat).

Some of it just takes a wee bit longer to renew (like millions of years).

At the end of the day everything non-nuclear comes from the sun anyway. In fact, coal is a form of solar energy. I oughta use that on my 'green' friends.

It comes down to suitability for ones' needs. Which energy source best functions reliably for the local situation. If ya got a shiteload of coal, use coal. If ya got a shiteload of water energy, use it. If ya got a shiteload of wood (and it isn't gonna mar your landscape to harvest it) use that. And so forth. Haven't built my own reactor yet, but if this [email protected] thing continues it may well be in the cards (and no, I'm NOT getting a license if I figure a way to get and split the uranium or whatever fissile material I might need).

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you haven't checked your camping, survival or recreation gear in a while do so now. Don't wait for a Texas scenario to catch you flat footed. I keep extra camping propane bottles on hand stored in the garage in case of power outages. I found 2 of my 6 bottles had lost propane gas pressure and were empty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of us don't even think about it until something like in Texas happens... I am checking it from time to time now, but I will forget about it for sure.
Although we live in a developed and civilized world, the issue of our own security is still relevant. It is also interesting that the phrase "to fend for themselves" is perceived by everyone in their own way. Where is the fine line of what is allowed? I take my own safety very seriously. Therefore, I practice protection training on pwa.edu, and with the help of this training I feel more protected as I learned how to disarm a man even if he put a gun to my head, shooting skills and etc. I consider it a personal necessity. But it is worth remembering the responsibility of your actions.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you haven't checked your camping, survival or recreation gear in a while do so now. Don't wait for a Texas scenario to catch you flat footed. I keep extra camping propane bottles on hand stored in the garage in case of power outages. I found 2 of my 6 bottles had lost propane gas pressure and were empty.
Most of us don't even think about it until something like in Texas happens... I am checking it from time to time now, but I will forget about it for sure.

If your able, GO CAMPING. seriously though, make it a point to go at least twice a year, warm and cold weather.

its fun!

lets you test gear

you learn how to be more efficient with your gear

its fun!

going in the different seasons teaches you how to adapt your gear and skills to the different needs.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I remember Grandmas house, big, old, and winter was a cold booger.
Storm windows & doors helped keep out cold.
Wood cooking range in the basement.
Giant chunk of Hot Iron radiating heat.
The home was wired before REA.
Back when propane gas was used to run a refridgerator.
The farm had its own light plant.
Root cellar for keeping food stuffs.
Gram had a pantery.
She fed workmen daily so pantery items stocked were of bulk variety.
She didnt have a can or two of SPAM she had a case.

Remember the Two Is One, One = None stocking logic.
You have two case of green beans, means you have one in reserve.
If you opened your last case,
one = none, left in reserve.

This works with bulk Butt wipe.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts