Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Recently got a wild hair and decided to switch out some G10 grips with a Hogue grip on a Commander. No reason other than curiosity to change them, but these Hogues seem to be quality grips. A few carry days and a trip to the range will prove them out.

Also, changed out some MagPul grips on a GI model that were, after some use, too slick. Tough to get a secure grip with them with sweaty hands. Changed them out with Pachmayr front grip wrap arounds. They really make a difference ‘grip-wise’, but will also get the range proof treatment.

These quick changes got me thinking about what other members do to their 1911s— if anything.

Anyone have preferences for grips, grip safeties, mag releases, thumb safeties, sights, etc?

This is just a preference thread and an opportunity to show off some favorite pistols, if so desired.

·
Premium Member
25,793 Posts
Recently got a wild hair and decided to switch out some G10 grips with a Hogue grip on a Commander. No reason other than curiosity to change them, but these Hogues seem to be quality grips. A few carry days and a trip to the range will prove them out.
Those Hogue grips are usually okay for shooting for most of us except for people with unusually large or extremely small hands. They just don't have the eye appeal that G10 or some exotic wood with nice checkering.

Just G10 grips on my current LWC
That's PURTY Jerry...
Those VersCarry holsters are almost indestructable.
That's what I'm thinking about for my RIA 2011 and also for my CZ P-10 F.

·
Premium Member
25,793 Posts
Something I'm thinking about pricing is having front serrations milled on the slide of my RIA 2011. I have no idea how much that might run or what the lead time might be. Who knows, it could be more cost effective to find a slide that already has front serrations.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,981 Posts
Some years ago I played the Grip Game. Started with a set the looked OEM, but were fatter and had a separate finger groove front section. Then I found a set of custom grips in African Snakewood, that looked "scaled". I kept the black rubber front finger grooves. It all fits me and looks good.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some years ago I played the Grip Game. Started with a set the looked OEM, but were fatter and had a separate finger groove front section. Then I found a set of custom grips in African Snakewood, that looked "scaled". I kept the black rubber front finger grooves. It all fits me and looks good.
Got the same game going on. The grip box is filling up as fast as the holster box(es). LOL

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I prefer my 1911’s stock, and I usually take them back to stock if someone has modified them. There are exceptions to that though, I’m not a purist but generally prefer a classic clean look. My officers carry is by far the most modified of my 1911’s; mainspring housing with magwell feed, better (more expensive???) bushing, replaced the ambi safety with a traditional…

I’ve been considering a set of stag grips for a decade or so. I’ve looked at them online quite a bit, but have never actually ordered a set. One day maybe.

I was carrying an Astra A-75 for the last few years. Just this weekend I decided to switch back to this 1911. No idea why, it just seemed like a good idea. I shot it some today, it still works dandy.

Excuse the poor photo, it’s late and sitting on my nightstand. Best I could get with the minimum amount of effort.

Edit - forgot to mention, the holster is just a Galco leather that I’ve had forever. It looks a lot rougher than the picture shows, but has held up remarkably well.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This is the Pachmayr grip previously mentioned. As with the Hogue grip, it’s untested at the range, but so far it’s a keeper.

How about that Idiot Scratch, huh? LOL

The fore grip is a rubberized wrap. The front strap is smooth, so this little addition really adds ‘purchase’.

The backstrap is left exposed.

One of the things about this grip I personally like is the overall look. It has sort of an Art Deco theme. Like something from a period film noire.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plenty of texture, Rex, yes, indeed. Looking forward to a range trip (if I can get away from work!) to test them.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have been looking at g10 grips for the last hour or so and am seriously considering getting a set of the Coolhand branded spiderweb style grips. Just for a change up. Also, my son loves Spider-Man…

·
Banned
222 Posts
Nice Badass gun!!

Reactions: K75RT
1 - 20 of 44 Posts