Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Find this interesting. The Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 is designed to shoot .22LR shotshells. The smoothbore is supposed to keep the shot from spreading unlike with a rifled barrel. A friend is having trouble with rodents in his shed/barn/shop on his property in eastern WA. Thought I might suggest something like this. What do you more informed folks think?
Garden Gun Smoothbore .22

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I have shot many big rats and squirrels with my 10 pump 22 caliber pellet rifle. Its an older Benjamin . I mounted a scope and works fine. I have a large assortment and types of BB and pellet rifles. I found out that the larger 22 pellet is more efficient. I have sat in a horse barn in a chair and shot rats for hours. Rats would get bad in there after a couple months. Sometimes takes two shots if you dont hit them in head. Th e issue with the 22 shot shells is they can get expensive if you shoot a lot. Also too many BB,s for me. I have shot the shot shells and have experience with them also. They are good for snakes or opossum. Also another idea is the CB shorts if you are going to use a rifle. Low noise and highly effective up to rabbit size critters.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
for inside the cabin, I use the .22 rat shot with the crimped case. I shoot it out of rifled barrels with no problems. but its not too effective on anything larger than mice across a large room. outside I mostly use CB caps for my yard varmints. they hit harder and are quieter than an air rifle. they come in short or long sizes. I like the longs because sometimes I use my 10/22 and longs will work through the magazine using the semi auto rifle as a straight pull.
IMG_0002.JPG

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I think I would pass on a dedicated 22 shotshell rifle myself. There are too many nice pellet rifles out there for pretty much any smaller vermin, and like blaster has shown a 22 rifle with a CB short is a wonderful tool and often less intrusive than even an air rifle.

Another tip for air rifles, for things like blackbirds at closer ranges ~ load the pellet in backwards. While it does affect accuracy I was finding that even without pumping my air rifles all the way up the pellets (.177) were over-penetrating and the birds were flying off, I thought I was missing them until I saw one fall out of the air 50 yards away after close range hit. Started putting the pellets in backwards and it made a huge difference with many never getting airborne though I'm sure it wasn't doing my accuracy any favors ... (I didn't really want to advertise and have the neighbors fussing about carcasses in their yards etc, plus wanted a clean kills).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
for inside the cabin, I use the .22 rat shot with the crimped case. I shoot it out of rifled barrels with no problems. but its not too effective on anything larger than mice across a large room. outside I mostly use CB caps for my yard varmints. they hit harder and are quieter than an air rifle. they come in short or long sizes. I like the longs because sometimes I use my 10/22 and longs will work through the magazine using the semi auto rifle as a straight pull. View attachment 141112
Nice Rifle! I've always liked the old pump action 22's and have an old H&R pump that is just way too much fun to plink with. The only down-side with mine is that it's dovetail is narrower than normal so I've not been able to put a good low power scope on it (I like iron sights but unfortunately my aging vision doesn't!).

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
IIRC, the little Cricket 22LR guns are smoothbore. They are small and short, being intended for children and other smaller people. I think they are $100 to $150.

I think if I were going to buy a smoothbore 22LR, I would want to put the least money possible into it. But for people who want something better, the Henry sure does look nice.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
IIRC, the little Cricket 22LR guns are smoothbore. They are small and short, being intended for children and other smaller people. I think they are $100 to $150.

I think if I were going to buy a smoothbore 22LR, I would want to put the least money possible into it. But for people who want something better, the Henry sure does look nice.
I have a Cricket that was the first .22 that I trained my son on... they definitely don't get much cheaper than that, but they do have a rifled barrel, or at least the one I have does (purchased around 2010 or so I think).

Have to say while they are handy I didn't really care for it as a "First" rifle because of the way it operates... No Safety and you have to pull the knob back to charge it so it's function is abnormal. At the time it was between that or one of the Rossi break opens which were nicer and more pricey but a real PITA if your trying to teach a kid laying prone etc. In the end I'm glad I went with the cheaper option because my son outgrew it so fast I don't think I would even call it fully broke in!

·
Registered
464 Posts
My "go to" yard varmint getter is a Keystone chipmunk pistol, Aguila subsonic 22 RF Suppressed. Minuet of mouse ear at 50 yards. CB caps are nearly totally silent, except for the pellet strike (thwak)

Shortly, I'm gonna get to try it out on Iguana, our latest invasive critter. On public sanctuary land, We have to use pellet guns, my land is a bit more permissive...

·
Banned
754 Posts
The Marlin Garden Gun in 22 mag was out there in 1999-2002. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_25MG

I was always curious if they sold very many. I have killed big snakes at 20 feet with a 22 revolver, so yes they work. And I have read that this new on in 22 LR is still ok with regular ammo at closer ranges, so I suppose it would work for a one gun family for defense as better than nothing.

But the 22 CB caps or the CCI Quiet, 710 fps are both much quieter than this little shot shooter. In the 22 revolver they are great for snakes close while fishing, I have killed many. Just do not see them dong anything to something like a raccoon or skunk. And a pellet gun will do anything this one will do.

I bought 2 grandkids the little Henry 22, regular gun, great little gun. But I have no use for the smoothbore. Over 25 years I have had 2 snakes inside, one in the garage and one in the house not poisonous but the wife went nuts. So, now I keep a 6 shot 22 revolver in the house loaded with snake shot. Before you laugh, try to chase a snake around your living room under the couch, behind the TV, then inside the recliner, etc. Learned that the hard way.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
back in the old days they sold win 92's in 44-40 with smooth barrels.
you would buy cartridges for them that had a wood shell filled underneath with shot.
they were called warehouse guns and were meant to shoot rats in warehouses.

if a guy wanted to shoot mice or small birds at maybe 10yds the 22 version could work. but so could a revolver using loaded shot capsules that held a lot more shot.
and you could buy a whole case of shells for the price of a one trick henry.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
for inside the cabin, I use the .22 rat shot with the crimped case. I shoot it out of rifled barrels with no problems. but its not too effective on anything larger than mice across a large room. outside I mostly use CB caps for my yard varmints. they hit harder and are quieter than an air rifle. they come in short or long sizes. I like the longs because sometimes I use my 10/22 and longs will work through the magazine using the semi auto rifle as a straight pull. View attachment 141112
What the Heck is that thing ? Looks like something that **** Dundee would serve up !

·
Registered
464 Posts
They are marine iguana, mostly fruit/veggie eaters, but can be omnivores, seems to be tied to habitat. Amphibians, burrow diggers. Hard on ground nesting birds, pets and other native species. Just an all around PITA.

They have no natural enemies after they get around 6 inches long. Wadeing birds and raptors eat 'em when they are young, but when they get grown, it's up to us to trim then up.

Just last week, I saw one in my neighborhood. I live about 30 min. south of Sarasota, on the coast.

There are a couple of bit's of good news, they are relatively easy to approach,very little fear of man. Easy to trap or kill with a pellet rifle, AND as **** would say, "fair dinkum tucker" I've eaten them fried and stewed/pressure cooked with fruit and veggies. To me, the taste/mouth feel is like mildly sweet chicken/ squirrel. Eggs are edible too, but I don't care for them.

When I was working in NOLA, I was introduced to nutria, water rats similar to muskrats. on the whole, I prefer the lizzard, they are much easier to prepare.

Check out youtube, there are guy's running canned hunts, harvesting and selling the meat, over on the East coast. Might put a bump in the employment numbers as we climb out of this congressional induced depression.

Paul in da swamp

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I bought a smooth bore .22lr a few years back for shooting in competition. Around here they used to shoot indoors during the winter. They shot about 18' at targets to see who could get a pellet dead center or closest to it, called it spot shooting. I found most of the guns were not stock guns like I had bought. I would have had to pay the gunsmith another $600 to be in competition with the other guys. But I did find the smooth bore .22lr is good for shooting bullfrogs during the summer from my kayak. Those big frog legs are good.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
At Boy Scout camp, we had a baby trap range that had smoothbore bolt actions. They fired crimped brass shotshells called .22 Mo-Skeet-O rounds. Cheap way to introduce kids to wingshooting. When I was the rifle instructor at a camp for poor little rich boys between high school graduation and reporting to the Academy, I did an inventory of the rifles we had in stock and discovered we had two of those bolt action Mo-Skeet-O guns, a launcher, and a supply of clay birds. So I set up an improv range and three times a week one camp period would be skeet shooting instead of .22 Rifle shooting. The kids who were dedicated shooters loved it.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Traps. Catch them in traps.

Not as much fun as shooting, but it works for me.

YouTube has lots of videos.

My wife would not wait around for a trap. Actually had about 3 in the garage, they just come in for the shade or mice or whatever but only one did not go right out. I had some of the 9mm snake shot so when he got close to a wall I zapped him. Bad idea. My garage has about an 8 inch stem wall around the outer wall. I think they use #9 in the 9mm. So, what did not hit the snake skidded up to the little wall then bounced back over me and everything else. Did not harm the truck but could have. The 22 with # 12 shot would prolly be OK but not the one I used. You learn not to do dumb stuff, by doing dumb stuff.

·
Banned
754 Posts
At Boy Scout camp, we had a baby trap range that had smoothbore bolt actions. They fired crimped brass shotshells called .22 Mo-Skeet-O rounds. Cheap way to introduce kids to wingshooting. When I was the rifle instructor at a camp for poor little rich boys between high school graduation and reporting to the Academy, I did an inventory of the rifles we had in stock and discovered we had two of those bolt action Mo-Skeet-O guns, a launcher, and a supply of clay birds. So I set up an improv range and three times a week one camp period would be skeet shooting instead of .22 Rifle shooting. The kids who were dedicated shooters loved it.
Cool story. Kids love all shooting. Kind of a universal language. They also work pretty well for a medium size wasp nest but you need to be where the pattern gets most or you have a problem. You know how I know. The nest was about 10 inches diameter, way too big. My buddy shot into it and got about half of them, seems like a 100 survived and they ran us off. It got worse, he decided to burn them and made a torch, which caught the grass on fire and then nearly his little wooden storage building. Kind of hard to put a fire out with a garden hose when 100 wasps are chasing you. Again, you learn not to do dumb stuff, by doing dumb stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts