Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 3 or 4 times I have shopped for food I have noticed the marked emptiness of the shelves...I have two cats look at a dog rescue...I cannot find many types of canned food that my cats enjoy, Purina Fancy Feast...very limited stocks...they are dryfood eaters to a lesser degree and I have about 25#s on hand...are any of you see shortages of pet foods?

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,536 Posts
The last 3 or 4 times I have shopped for food I have noticed the marked emptiness of the shelves...I have two cats look at a dog rescue...I cannot find many types of canned food that my cats enjoy, Purina Fancy Feast...very limited stocks...they are dryfood eaters to a lesser degree and I have about 25#s on hand...are any of you see shortages of pet foods?
If you are looking for something specific, you're close enough to where I live that you might try The Feed Barn in Brewster, NY. It's on Route 22 a couple of miles north of I-84. Call ahead and ask them if they have what you want in stock. They probably will.

· Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Like J.J. said I am thinking a few disruptions. Could be hard getting meat products, getting containers to can or the processing plant itself. The Democratic trolls that let the places shut down or idled for months because of the Killer virus scam. They have disrupted about everything. Most of foods is stockpiled in warehouses just like other dry goods. It takes a few months after the fact to have the impact start to hit on processed stuff

· Registered
8,543 Posts
We don't do Wmart , but I used to work there . They started unloading the trucks in mid afternoon and placed items on pallets. They used to wait till 10 pm to pull the pallets to the shopping floor. Then shelf stocking began. So if you want first crack at the stuff get there late in the day. Stuff changes and are not written in stone so try and see. Good luck!

We use chewy. Also my wife buys meats on sale , mostly chicken, cooks and cans her own dog food that in a bind is completely human food. Chicken, rice ,green beans , carrots.

· Registered
26,919 Posts
Try Chewy.com
Plus 10 on what Huey Rider said...
I buy a lot of canned food online from chewy.com, specifically a very affordable grain free brand called "Tiny Tiger". They have several choices and I've fed them all except a couple choices that have extra gravy. My 3 adult cats and several dozen foster cats and kittens over the last 3 years have ate a bunch of that stuff. Chewy ships free if it's over $49.00 and if you set it up on an "auto ship" they give a 5% discount. It's no problem to reschedule the autosip if you see that you aren't going to need it withing the schedule time frame.

I also feed a lot of the grain free "Untamed" brand from Tractor Supply, both dry food and canned. So far I haven't encountered any local shortages. I have 3 Tractor Supply stores with in just a few miles of me. The Untamed brand is reasonably priced too for grain free food. (And PS: Our carnivores don't need grain in their diet)

· Registered
26,919 Posts
Some other places you might shop other than Wally World, PetSmart, Petco, grocery stores and places like that would be stores that cater to the farm and ranch crowd. A place here in Denton called D&L Farm and Home, in addition to having hay, and horse shoes, and stuff for chickens, goats, and pigs, they also have a pretty broad assortment of pet specific products at competitive prices. Red River Coop in Gainesville also has lots of pet stuff in addition to the livestock trade that they mainly cater too. They sell me a 20 lb. bag of Nutrena grain free cat food for $19 plus tax. So usually when I go see my friend Steph up there I swing by the RR Coop and buy a bag of it and fill up with ethanol free gas too. Other times I give her the money and ask her to bring me a bag...

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Our cat won't eat canned food, only dry.
He got sick as a kitten and vet said to get Gerber chicken baby food to feed him till
He got over stomach issue.
Six years later.....He still won't eat canned cat food and has to have a spoonful
Of Gerber chicken baby food twice a day. It's way cheaper than cat food, just kind of weird that he prefers to canned cat food.
Even weirder, you have to orient the baby food on the left side of the plate or he won't eat it till you turn plate so it IS on the left side.

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,536 Posts
Even weirder, you have to orient the baby food on the left side of the plate or he won't eat it till you turn plate so it IS on the left side.
What's your cat's name, Sheldon Cooper?

Reactions: animalspooker

· Registered
120 Posts
This morning I left my survival retreat and ventured to the nearist town to their dollar store to get some canned dog food to pep up the bags of dry dog food I have . Yes some of the shelves were bare to near bare of canned dog food . --- If Biden and his Communist friends gain control look for this to be only the beginning as we spiral down to join Venezuela . Pets will be on the menu of the starving people in the United States just as it is in Venezuela .

· Registered
1,239 Posts
QUOTE="K75RT, post: 2660724, member: 341"]The last 3 or 4 times I have shopped for food I have noticed the marked emptiness of the shelves...I have two cats look at a dog rescue...I cannot find many types of canned food that my cats enjoy, Purina Fancy Feast...very limited stocks...they are dryfood eaters to a lesser degree and I have about 25#s on hand...are any of you see shortages of pet foods?[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with the other folks who order it on line. If the price is the same an you get free shipping, no reason to go pick it up and haul it home. Just too easy to have Fedex put it on the porch. Just buy bulk and forget about it. We recently had one 15 years old pass and only have one 16 pound dog at home. Walmart sells a small cans of chicken or turkey for 98 cents. I have been buying them for my emergency stash, 5 ounces I think and no can opener required, makes a great sandwich, for hunting, just carry bread and pop it open in the field or stand. But my little guy likes them to supplement his dry, half in the morning and half at nighthttps://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/Great-Value-Chunk-Chicken-Breast-5-oz/36267274. FWIW.

He also has about 80 pounds of deer burger in the fridge, so he will get by for a while.

· Registered
26,919 Posts
Great company.
Jerry, surprisingly not too many years ago PetSmart bought Chewy from the founders for a big chunk of money. Since then Chewy has gone public and seems to be doing well. The way it runs though is nothing like the marketing concept that the PetSmart stores operate under.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
My cat will eat cheap dry food, meat table scraps, tuna and sardines. Plus any mouse or other critter he can get his claws into.

A 16 lb bag of dry cat food will last him about 3 months with the above additions mixed in.

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
Jerry, surprisingly not too many years ago PetSmart bought Chewy from the founders for a big chunk of money. Since then Chewy has gone public and seems to be doing well. The way it runs though is nothing like the marketing concept that the PetSmart stores operate under.
Sometimes there are acquisitions and they don’t screw up what they bought, sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.