Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rocky7, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Alberta
    I hate people who talk in a sing-song cadence. Is that supposed to add drama or what's the deal? It is irritating.

Gov. Cuomo does that a little bit and it makes him sound like a Drama Queen.

2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Seems like a lot of the gun channels on YouTube and a few radio hosts do the same thing. Almost as if they’re trying to mimic each other’s odd cadence, pitch and delivery.

I agree, sir. It quickly becomes annoying, especially if what they’re saying is interesting or ‘important’.

Public speaking skills are a rare talent.

3. SaigaAK74

SaigaAK74 G&G Evangelist

For me, its the gun channels on Facebook, on Youtube and from the LGS all shouting from their stands like carnies at a state fair. "Buy more guns, buy more ammo, you need to get in here right now! We are out of this ammo, but we have more coming, buy, buy, buy!!!"

To what end though? I know, they are making money, but shouldn't they also stay on the side of caution just a little? So many people out there buying and hoarding guns and ammo right now, and a lot of them are new gun owners, or soon to be.

I'm all for being prepared, but this is ridiculous!

neophyte, Jaison and Rocky7 like this.
  4. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Hell one talk show host that I try to listen to sounds almost like a Alvin the Chipmunk to me. Drives me nuts,no pun intended.

What's worse to me is a whiny tone. I can't tolerate it when it's totally uncalled for particularly in other males.

5. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

There's a local financial guy on the radio with that kind of high-pitched, awkward voice. It sounds like he's reading when he speaks.

For all the world, these people sound like my high school students used to sound when reading aloud from a textbook. It has to be habitual and learned, because it's not a natural presentation.

Thankfully, there's an off button and channel selection.

6. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I find it most often when the host/narrator is reading off a teleprompter. Kinda humorous when they are reading about something they don't know anything about & mispronounce words. Once, watching the fishing report on TV, the lady pronounced "bream" as breeme! You can guess how she pronounced crappie. :p

Rocky7 likes this.
  7. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I'm almost deaf. Sometimes that's an advantage.

Cyrano, neophyte, K75RT and 4 others like this.
  8. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

"I need 7mm shells."
    "Which 7mm do you have?"
    "It's a Remington 700."
    "Ok, but is is the Rem Mag, 7-08, Mauser?"
    "...It's a Remington 700."

Cyrano, neophyte, K75RT and 5 others like this.
  9. Rocky7

Alberta
    "Do I need to get a pad of paper and a box of crayons?"

10. Rocky7

Alberta
    I have been on hold for ½ hr listening to elevator music. This because I cannot remember online banking password #47 of the 63 passwords and secret codes I am expected to remember to conduct business and banking online.....which is where I keep getting directed. Nobody wants to pay real people to deal with me anymore; except for a few who don't speak engrish.

Am I being groomed for a chip implant?

11. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

More pet peeves... Toilet paper hung incorrectly, needing batteries and finding you are one short, politician's speaking, anyone from Hollywood speaking, people speaking in general... Oh the list goes on and on.

12. Trying to have a conversation via facebook messenger and with all the words in the English language, all the person you're talking with can do is give thumbs ups. It wouldn't be so bad, but they're supposed to be educated.

Ron The Legend and Rocky7 like this.
  13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Trying to hold a conversation online with anyone who uses emojis instead of words. I am aware that the iGen and to some extent the Millennial crowd use this the way we Baby Boomers use shorthand, but we don't carry on conversations in Gregg or Pitman! I never learned either shorthand system, and don't know anyone outside the print media who did.

It's like an ad that shows up periodically on H&I that has Snoop Dogg saying something like, "And that's shizzle mydizzle, ya know what I'm sayin'?", which makes me want to reach through the TV screen, punch him in the throat, and say, "No, I don't know what you're saying! Speak ENGLISH, moron!"

There are these things called words. They have been around for millennia. They are diverse and can be used in infinite combinations to make all sorts of statements. Make use of them, you cellphone-age fuckwits!

I also have a problem with nitwits in the SCA who call themselves heralds but cannot blazon at sight. To explain, heraldry, like music, has a universal symbol system. (Example: A note on the G clef on the third line up from the bottom is a B natural in the first octave from middle C whether you are in Germany or France. A note that is a solid oval with a shaft sticking up from the right side with one flag on it is an eighth note whether you're in Africa or South America.) A bend is a bend whether the device is English or French. An eagle is an eagle whether it's German or Russian. Argent means white and represents the metal silver whether you're in England or Ireland. The parts of the shield used to represent the positioning of charges on the field are constant. The divisions of the field are constant. Heraldry, like music, is a universal language and a science.

In the SCA, the serious heralds of years gone by could hear a blazon (the word description of a device) like, "Quarterly vert and sable, a molet of four argent" and instantly visualize a field divided into four quarters crosswise alternating green and black, with a four-armed star lying along the cross lines. They did not have to sit down and draw it. Our heraldic records were predicated on blazons, and we used the blazons to determine if proposed devices were sufficiently different from existing devices approved by our College of Arms to be registered.

But 25 years ago, the then Laurel Queen of Arms made the ironically named "Modest Proposal" to cut our College loose from insuring SCA devices did not conflict with real devices approved by actual Colleges of Arms; and to make the pretty pictures the official record because the then-current crop of heralds could not or refused to learn their subject well enough to be able to blazon at sight. In one stroke, that idiot turned the SCA's heralds from respected researchers and teachers of heraldry to widdle children daubing with finger paints to create devices for people who do not care to understand the science behind what we do.

There are still good heralds in the SCA, but not as many as there used to be; and it is rare to find ones coming up who are as good as we had to be before the Modest Proposal!

K75RT likes this.
  14. maddogg

maddogg G&G Evangelist

Seeing how tough the Kardashians have it.

BigEd63, austinjoe13, K75RT and 2 others like this.
  15. Mindy up North

Speaking of annoying vocal tones and the Kardashians, I just remembered another pet peeve... Actually a major one.
    Up Speak and Vocal Fry!!!! It is annoying and makes me want to choke the holy Hell out of the speaker. I offer an example...

Rocky7, Jaison and SaigaAK74 like this.
  16. ^^^I made is to about 50 seconds... annoying is being nice:rolleyes:

Rocky7 likes this.
  17. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Exactly why no more on-line banking for me! Only had one such account & started having issues with getting into it on line. Long story short, after 3 trips to a brick & mortar branch in Longview, Tx & untold frustration, on the last trip, I had them close the account out & give me a check!

I took it to my local bank & deposited it. They told me I could sign up & handle it on line. Told them no thanks, I need anything & you're gonna see my ugly face back in here.:p

Rocky7 likes this.
  18. savage12755a

savage12755a G&G Evangelist

19. Mindy up North

... And if you have to ask, you are likely hanging it wrong.:p

ncnascarlady, K75RT and Rocky7 like this.
  20. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    1/8 inch out of reach!

Cyrano and Rocky7 like this.