Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rocky7, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I hate people who put oil filters on with a wrench. WTH is wrong with them - do they think it needs to be so tight it will take a cutting torch to get it off?

Just changed hydrostatic oil in my zero turn mower. It has two filters. I mashed them pretty bad getting them off; thankfully they finally started to turn, ever so slowly. There's just no need for that. These were OEM filters, too! Must've been installed by a Sumo Wrestler in China.

2. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    How long have they been on maybe stuck from age can be a a problem .

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    They are filled with oil and seat on a rubber gasket so age doesn't really enter into it. It's what happens when somebody puts an oil filter on with a wrench. Wrenches are for Off. Hands are are for On. I think this was the worst one I ever ran into; glad the filter held up to the force I was applying.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    My first car a 1958 Ford with. 352 CID engine.
    Had to remove the oil filter part from the engine and put the bracket in a vice, drove a big screw driver thru it to get it off.

Al

Ron The Legend and neophyte like this.
  5. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Yuk. That’s where I was headed. And I was using one of those filter wrenches like curved pliers with toothy bumps on it! not the band kind.

neophyte likes this.
  6. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    I disagree time and heat will set them up very tight.

austinjoe13 and neophyte like this.
  7. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland

8. rando

Maryland
    I have always changed my own oil in my personal trucks. I always have used my thumb and three fingers to tighten the filter. I smear a thin film of oil on rubber gasket first. Hand tight is still very tight. Comes back off with one hand up in the enclosed area while laying down. I own a ton of tools but never needed an oil filter wrench. They are not meant to be tightened like a bolt.

9. I cannot stand people that have items on Craigslist that refuse to take pictures and answer your questions...was looking at an 80 gallon 3 phase air compressor; the owner doesn't know if it is single phase or 3 phase and the electric motor does not run...you ask them to take a pic of the motor plate and it doesn't happen...the compressor looks nice but the owner is incompetent...probably a scam but what else is new...that said...I HAVE found great deals on CL

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  10. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    3/4 turn past contact

Ron The Legend, neophyte and Rocky7 like this.
  11. rando

Maryland
    I have also found some awesome deals. Also some scams or people that never even email you back. Not even a week ago a guy had a post on CL for free. Cleaning a shed out he said and had Murray 6HP lawnmower. It was self propelled and he could not get it started this year. Also had a gas weedeater. He gave me both. The lawnmower is a mulching type and you can remove the side discharge. So what I found wrong: Square pleated air filter covered inside like a birds nest and pleated sections clogged. I cleaned it with brush and then air compressor. Cleaned spark plug and reinstalled, Blade was so dull that it would not cut grass. I put a new edge on it and then a fine filed edge. I changed the dirty oil. Thing starts up and runs smooth. I adjusted the wheel levers for proper height and cut my lawn. I also looked at the weedeater. Had two bad fuel line hoses. Replaced them and filled with two cycle blend. Thing also runs like a champ. Never know.

12. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I just hate it when they leave their adds up after they have sold that perfect thing that you really want. And, they won't respond to your texts or emails, so you don't know if you are wasting your time trying to contact them or not.

13. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ach! And, Ach, again!!

Peeve- managerial types who wait until the last part of the week to say they need someone to be on-call that weekend. And, then act surprised when the person they ‘ask’ says he had plans.

We have a two week squirrel season in June. That leaves two saturdays for us working slobs. These guys knew I was really looking forward to this weekend.

First world problem, I know. I get it. Still... C’mon, already!

Adolescent, long, weary day-induced, whiny rant over. :p

14. rando

Maryland
    Squirrel hunting wins over on call anytime.

Jaison, CountryBoy and Rocky7 like this.
  15. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

How 'bout being on call 24/7? :p That was as an outside salesman.

When I worked inside, we took turns being on call. 'Course, unless the company wanted to pay them, they couldn't demand they stay home all weekend & cell phones didn't exist back then. So guess who usually got stuck when the answering service couldn't find the person that was supposed to be on call.:rolleyes:

Jaison, Rocky7, rando and 1 other person like this.
  16. rando

Maryland
    I have been on call for over 30 years till recently. Feels good to not have a phone going off as soon as you get to sleep. Back in the day we had a pager that went off and then had to find a phone to call answer service. Then we got one of those first phones for a vehicle. I called it the bag n box phone. Was in a leather case and had a battery as heavy and big as a motor cycle battery

Jaison and Rocky7 like this.
  17. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

Voice mail... I truly hate voice mail, especially for a business. Just answer your **** phone! Ugh! Oh, and another thing... I don't experience this anymore being retired...but a big peeve is when someone not more than 15 feet away is too darn lazy to get out of their seat to ask me a question...and they send an email instead - - - if they repeated the same mistake after I re-educated them, there was a 50/50 chance they were shown the door.

18. Mindy up North

Mindy up North G&G Evangelist

... And another peeve!!! When you respond to a post and use a word that is relatively benign... Such as...
    D A M N...and it is automatically censored with ****. Kinda leaves the interpretation of what was said up to the reader...

...then again, now that I think about it...never mind.:D

Jaison and Rocky7 like this.
  19. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

I also hate the astris. There are several words in the English language that are used both right and left handed, so to speak. I have ran into several instances where I was using a word properly, not as a cuss word, and got beeped out. For example there is a file(rasp) I use called a ******* file. There is no other proper term for it,and the word ******* is not a cuss word if not used derogatory. It is in the dictionary, for the love of Pete. So then you have to use an improper term to describe something. Just erks me.
    See what I mean, it just did it. The forum robot is to ignorant to let you use a proper, acceptable, technical term. God forbid someone get offended at me calling a tool its proper name.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Gun Junkie, Rocky7, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  20. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    I have had the stars replace the UPPER Michigan town name of Hancock across the river from Houghton Mich where Michigan tec is.

Al

Moroco Mole and Rocky7 like this.