Phone scammers never give up

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rando, Oct 20, 2020.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I posted twice on here before about the different phone scams I get. First it was my S.S. # Jeopardized and then a credit card company where my info was stolen and today it was my Apple device account hacked. Same scheme design they use. Phone rings and look at the number on my caller ID. The phone number is a real local number in my area. They hack different peoples phone number for a little while at a time and they are unaware. It sometimes even has the persons name. As soon as you answer the phone they have a fast recording telling you something has been hack of yours or jeopardized. They then say to press button #1 to speak to a rep. As soon as you press button #1 you get a foreign guy or gal answer. They are either Indian, Pakistani or middle eastern. You can hear in the background many other phones ringing and voices of many other scammers in same room. They then ask how may they help you? Once you tell them the issue then they play along to the one you refer to. I answer just to tell them some nasty stuff and how much of a low live they are. Well the one this morning got nasty with me because I called him a low life piece of Chit. He said something back and I went off on him. I better not repeat what I said to him. I wonder how many thousands of people in the USA are getting these same scammers. Then I wonder how many people un knowingly exchange their information and get their stuff stolen or accounts hacked.

blaster, BudW, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  2. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I usually don't bother talking to them, just ban them. I did respond to the Yankee that keeps calling for donations for the "Association of Police". I asked him why he thought I'd ever donate, after being harassed by them so much. He said F you & hung up!:p Didn't stop 'em from calling back, however!:rolleyes:

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    I've got a lot less since I tossed my land line phones in the dumpster.

neophyte, BigEd63 and Stickman like this.
  4. rando

Maryland
    Mitch, The scammer that called me earlier said the same thing to me, He said Fu** You to me. They just called me again with the same scam as I am typing this. Just hung up on them. They are pissed because of my remarks back to them.

neophyte, quavodus and jwrauch like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

It is so nice to just turn the ringer off at different times of the day, especially during supper and evening movie time. One of the advantages of being retired! ;)

neophyte, quavodus, K75RT and 2 others like this.
  6. rando

Maryland
    I like the caller ID feature and can usually tell right away. Sometimes I pick the phone up and answer when its a spammer. When they start talking I just lay the phone down so they can talk to the seat cushion

neophyte and jwrauch like this.
  7. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

My wife does that, but then forgets she did it & I find the phone still on "talk" hours later.:) I've banned callers & they just call back on different numbers!:(

8. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I keep talking about getting a police whistle !!!

neophyte, K75RT and BigEd63 like this.
  9. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Used to have one when there was a land line.

10. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    I got a spam scam call today on my cell phone from the Federal Reserve FBI about "unusual activity in m". Click. I didn't know the Federal Reserve HAD AN investigative office in my area code.

11. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I have a "Screecher", but forget to use it most of the time, plus it fires the dog up like ever'thing!

12. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

A couple years ago I started turning all them into the do not call list, probably a waste of time, but I probably turned in 40 or 50. One day I got a letter from a law firm, one of those, please join our class action or opt out deals. It explained my rights had been violated by recieving the call, yea sure.

I filled it out and mailed it on their postage. Funny as heck, I get another letter saying the case had settled and I would be getting a check, yea sure. A couple months later I got a check for $160 or so. Turns out one of the scams was a guy collecting money for disabled vets, made national news, he was in Florida. He had scammed $11 million or so. So, the class action lawyer filed on behalf of everyone that had their number on the do not call list and got called anyway. I never really thought it was worth the time, but it did work to the tune of $160 once.

The ones collecting money for fallen cops are a big big anti gun scam. They claim they are collecting money for the families of police officers killed on the job and to make police work safer. They are in reality Democratic PAC, and they are collecting money to ban guns, which they say kills cops. If you can get them to talk they will say it is just about common sense gun control, the exact democratic line, banning all gun shows and private sales, mandatory registration, mandatory immediate reporting of all stolen or lost guns, and the list goes on.
    Do not fall for it. As a former cop, I go right after them demanding to know what department they work for, and they will admit they are not cops, just professional fund raisers. Again, do not give them a dime, if you want to help cops donate to your local department. They actually do have a non profit organization that is really just a cover, legal yet, all about gun control and totally deceptive. And yes, I turn them into the do not call list every time they call.

neophyte, jwrauch and Huey Rider like this.
  13. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Did he actually get prison time, or just pay a fine. I wouldn't care about getting $$, just want them to spend time behind bars & their equipment confiscated.

14. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Caller ID. Enough said.

15. I got the call from the ones who say your Social Security account has been hacked...this was on my cell while at work...it was lunchtime and I figured wtf....it costs these companies $$$ when they have to pay for time...they tolld me my account was hacked to which I said ...please explain..they said that they needed my SS#...I told them I wanted to help but I am old and cannot remember the #...they then said I could email the needed information to them...could they have my email address...I thanked them for their "helpfullness" and slowly told them my email address is gof###[email protected] when I asked him to read it back to me he said something unintelligible and cut the call! :p

Gray Wolf, Ten Man, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  16. don5544

don5544 G&G Evangelist

I always hang up but has anyone gone through with the free hotel stays to see what they are after?

17. quavodus

quavodus G&G Evangelist

A guy I work with answered the phone in the shop and it was a woman "scammer". he asked her how much for some p----.

graybeard, blaster, Ranger4 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Actually, our deal just involved the violation of the do not call list lawsuit. I think he got jail on the actual crimes. I think this is the one, there are several that happened in Florida. https://www.tampabay.com/news/busin...-years-in-navy-veterans-charity-scam/2157308/

19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I used to use those small air horns that you could buy in the bicycle shops. VERY loud, and discouraged repeat calls! LOL!!

20. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I know a person who bought one of those little emergency horns they sell for emergency use in boats and said they work well for that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020