Photo Help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Para Cassatt, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm somewhat new to taking photos and would like some advice on how to take pictures of small items like cartridges and gun parts. This will be done indoors and I was wondering if a white box with a bottom, back and two sides would help better use the flash or would it create more problems? I really would like to be able to catch as much a detailed photo as possible.

2. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

Depending on what camera you have, make sure you can zoom in close enough and still have it focus. I have a Canon Rebel and bought some macro lenses so I could take pictures of bugs if I want. If the parts are dark, a white background is best. That eliminates any background that will distract from your pic. Most digitals take good enough pics that you may not need a flash. When I am taking pics of small items, I usually light the item from the top, whether it's someone holding a lightbulb above it or taking it under a lamp. Doing this will almost eliminate a need for a flash. The flash causes shadows. I also have one of those pop up white tents for photography. Digitals tend to pick up color from any surroundings and a white box would work fine so long as the box was white inside. If you are taking pics to sell the item, I do graphic design and know Photoshop inside and out. You could PM me and I will give you my email address if you need any picture work done, i.e. lighting, color correction, background cut out, etc. I take a lot of product pics at work, but I have the studio lighting, so I get more detailed. And if I screw up, there's always Photoshop. So long as it's not more than 10 pics, give or take, I don't charge to help someone out. I am just limited on my time is all.

3. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    The box idea will work but don't use direct flash with the box. You may get better results if you use a diffused flash to eliminate harsh reflections. Several sheets of Kleenex tissue will work well. If you have an older flash unit that is adjustable start at the lowest setting and work your way up until you get the results you want.
    Bounce lighting will eliminate shadows.
    On my digital flash I reduce the amount of light from the flash by slightly blocking the flash with a finger.
    If all else fails...send it to Bunny Wabbit.
    Oh yeah, you need to use the macro setting for close-in work.

4. Para Cassatt

Thanks BunnyWabbit, I have a Kodak Z1285 and I've only used it a couple times. So far I haven't taken any closeups and am not sure how well the 5x zoom would be for them. I'll try a test run tomorrow to see if I can get a couple uploaded here, if it isn't too difficult.

5. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

My work sells Streamlight flashlights and I have to take lots of pics of small parts and bulbs. We also manufacture things from flexible plastic film and that stuff reflects like crazy. Most of the time I have to Photoshop them. You could tape a piece of Kleenex over your flash. You might even try taking the pic outside and eliminate the flash issues all together.

Sometimes when you zoom in with an automatic zoom the pics get grainy. You also could try backing off a ways and then zoom in.

6. Para Cassatt

Thanks everyone. The batteries died before I could even find the macro setting. I'll have to dig up the manual and see what I can do tomorrow.

7. Para Cassatt

Well I logged off last night and created a Photobucket account. Today I went to the drug store and could only find standard Duracells, but bought them anyway. I took 8 pictures and deleted 5 of them and am now ready to upload. Opened Photobucket to load my 3 masterpieces and found out that they were 4.5 MB's in size. Concerned but not detered I hit the upload button. 20 minutes later I came back to the computer and 1 had loaded and 2 had failed to. I'll try to upload one to the site gallery and see if that works. I knew my dialup was slow but it must be really slow.

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Para Cassatt...I'm definitely an amateur photographer...but I'm learning fast.

My best advice is to set up a table outside with bright sunlight shining on the subject.

Then looking away from the sunlight at the fully illuminated subject, set it up so you're viewing what you want to show with the sun at your back.

Then decide which views you want. Usually for a gun I show the full length in one picture. Then I show close up's of different parts in separate pictures.

As far as camera settings...keep in mind that a very high resolution (high number of bytes) is difficult for some systems to "send" or "open."

Therefore reduce your resolution settings to something under one megabyte...probably 370 bytes or so. Depending upon your computer skills, you can change that resolution setting after the picture is taken. Therefore, I usually take the original pictures at a high resolution setting.

Good luck and use the following steps if you need them to post on G&G: https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/57962-simple-steps-posting-pictures-g-g.html

Here's a sample picture I've taken of my Browning Sweet Sixteen.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Ox

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  9. Para Cassatt

Thanks Oxford. I'll try to dial down the resolution. It took about 5 minutes to get 1 picture in the gallery at the current setting. I couldn't open the link but my computer is extra slow tonight for some reason. Will try again later.

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

You'll get there....just keep on trying.