Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
This photo shows us the "M2" Full/Semi-Automatic. This file gives us some info on the M2. It also shows us Muzzle on both Models. Have fun with this one. Tell me all YOU know!!!

http://www.users.fast.net/~eclancy
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
Email at: [email protected]
Hit'em again
Thanks again
Clancy
Looking for Sponsors
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The M1 would have been the best rifle ever made by the US if it fed by BAR mags like one the picture, except now its the M14. Did that ever get issued in small numbers?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes. Some of the Vietnam vets were issued M14's early in the war. My brother-in-law served two tours as a naval advisor working with the NVA and carried the M14 his 1st tour 1966-1967.

I'm sure there are plenty others out there that will concur they carried the M14 in Vietnam.

I work with a guy (ex-marine) that in 1972 used the M-14 in boot camp and set the base record for scoring which held for a decade so he said.

Only seen a couple show up for DCM/CMP competition. Kind of scarce.

I better correct that fact my brother-in-law was an advisor with the ARVN and NOT NVA!!!!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
my dad carried an M14 in vietnam. i wasnt that specific. i meant was the M2 garand was issued in WWII? My dasad was first issued M14's then went to the M16 with 3 prong and no forward assist, then back to M14's. Then after that he went to m16's with bird cage and forward assist.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
It is my understanding that this rifle was in en route to being produced, and thus we had a lot less to worry about from the Sturmgehwer than we sometimes think.

I agree that a select fire M1 Garand using BAR mags would have been the ultimate battle rifle. Do I read that right that it had a means to still use the en-bloc clips?

·
Registered
886 Posts
eclancy - I had heard that there was an attempt at making a select fire Garand, and I am not surprised to see the pix you show. I would doubt very much if it got beyond a "One Off", at the most maybe 10 or so.

SNEAKILY: I think the Springfield Armory was embarrassed into developing the M2 Garand, at least that far, because of the success of the Select Fire Johnson LMG. But that is my thoughts!

FutureMarine - Keep in mind, when the stuff hits the fan, you only want to hold up your end, and preferences seem to disappear. I hope you never have to see the stuff get thrown around, anywhere close to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts