Picked up a Romanian M44

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Mosaka, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mosaka

Mosaka G&G Newbie

Its been a while since i fed my mosinitis, so i scooped up a nice 1955 Romanian M44.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The metal is in great shape overall and the stock has a few dings and nicks but nothing to bad. Its 100% matching and original, non-Cbored.
    [​IMG]
    Romo's are often confused as being a Russian Izhevsk due to the similar markings, but of course the russians stopped making M44's in 1948
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has a nice small early type import marking on the barrel:
    [​IMG]
    The bore cleaned up really nice and is shiny and sharp, just the way i like em!
    [​IMG]
    I purchased this rifle because its fits into my collection in two ways. First, it gives me the Romanian M44 + SKS set with my nice 1958 Romanian SKS:
    [​IMG]
    And second, it gives me a second Warsaw Pact rifle, to keep company with my nice unissued and same year 1955 Polish M44:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now i just have to find a nice M91/38 and maybe a DDR marked Mosin.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I have a Romy M44 from that same year. Great shooting rifle, if was the first center fire rifle I ever bought. Thats also the rifle that found out that I could kill a squirrel by shooting through the tree LOL. Great looking rifle you got there, look much better than mine did when I first got it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

4. very nice. a romainian is on my list as well. a pole and a chinese are on it too. i don't think the romainian can be beat as far as quality though.

5. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Evangelist

Excellent find! It looks great with the Pole and the SKS. Congrats!

6. Neat looking carbine......I am gonna stick to Russian MNs for the moment though....got a few more of them to get before I worry about the other commie MNs LOL

7. Mosaka

Mosaka G&G Newbie

Thanks ... yea it wasn't a conscious descision to branch out the collection, but the branches kept coming toward me and i couldn't duck out of the way! Dang Mosins... in fact, i have a line on something real nice .. kind of a Mosin branch off. We'll see if it works out....

8. Very nice! A welcome addition to any collection, I'd say.

9. Very nice. I have only seen one of these in person, but passed on it due to a few factors. I was not nearly as nice as yours.

10. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Oh yes that's a nice Polish M44. That's the only M44 I have yet to acquire for my M44 collection! Of course, I can't get rid of my first MN, which was my 1946 Izhevsk M44. I guess I better keep an eye out for Polish M44s. Seen a few, but they are pricey! Nice Romanian M44 as well, bore looks awesome!

11. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mosaka that's the best metal surface and bluing I've ever seen on a MN!
    Yer ah lucky guy!
    frenchy

12. Mosaka

Mosaka G&G Newbie

Thanks Frenchy... it looked good in the ad but i was pleasantly surprised how nice the bluing was. However the Pole m44 next to it is actually even better. Let me get some shots up.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a total SafeQueen. The guy i got it from never shot it and i don't see myself shooting it.

13. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mosaka i've always said i wouldn't have a safe Queen but that Polish M44 just might change my mind, it's pristine. :11:
    frenchy