Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The shooting club I attend has a nice gun shop, every time I check in and out one little rifle caught my attention. The little Handi in 300 BLK. I looked and researched and pondered. So went ahead and picked it up, No I am not trying to be secret operator squirrel here. I am just amazed at the size and the ability to feed it leftovers from my 30 cal reloading. Plus I have a bunch of LC 5.56 brass sitting in the basement and a can of 2400 so life is good.

No really gonna get into the converting of cases, as it is covered all over the net, here is just my initial impressions.

The rifle is very maneuverable, and the barrel is very short (16.1"), it comes threaded 5/8x24 for a 30 cal brake or can. I installed a brake to help balance out the rifle and recoil is absolutely nothing. Trigger breaks at 5lbs, not a problem as I am not trying for super long range accuracy. LOP 12.5" perfect for the kids.

I installed a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33, these scopes are made by Leupold and are built like a tank. I opted for the accurange reticle so my kids can just point and shoot.

Rings and scope placement can be tedious, as the scope eye bell must clear the hammer. A set of Leupold med PRW did the trick. I also locktite'd the screws of the picatinny base with blue while waiting for my scope to arrive. I have read that the spec on the screws is 20 inlbs, I went with 23 in lbs and had no issue with marring or screw failure.

Reloading: I have a bunch of 147 M80 pulls sitting at home, so I looked some loads in the Hornady 9th and found data for the 150 gn SP. Starting load was 10.8 to 13.2 max (pg 382) So i picked a load in the middle. I initially loaded up an OCW from min to max, but found that my loading block was too deep, I thought I was loading the cases, but when I did my flashlight test I found that i was dumping powder on the sides. I got out another loading block and decided to go completely plinker-- rifle, bullet , brass and load.

So I just went old school and got my .5cc dipper and did a load avg. Remarkably, two heaping scoops is 12.8, with some between 12.6 -12.7 and the highest was 12.9 of Aliiant 2400. (of course anyone reading this must test their own pours)

Ended up with LC brass formed and a 147 pull over 12.8 of 2400 seated to 2.140. Speed is approx 1700, but I have no chrony (book data).

Range trip was very fun, I was expecting a shotgun pattern, but was pleasantly amazed at 2 moa groups at 50Y and 100, this considering a was using the dippers only.

So all being said, this is a great little fun-gun, for a take-along when camping or something for the kids to shoot. Ballistic data will put a 115 or 125 barely with enough energy to be legal for deer in CO, but of course I have other rifles for that.

Pics are of the rifle, along side my Tikka and one of the 50Y groups from today.

The pic of the cast was one of a 170 Lee 2r, that did not seat in the rifle. The Ogive is too big, and I do not want to seat it any further and raise pressure. I did pick up the Lee TL309-230-5R and will give a range report when I bake up some bullets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,586 Posts
Nice looking little firearm there. How loud is the 300 Blackout with a brake?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually with the 147 @1700 fps, it is no louder than a 308 without a brake. I have shot a 308 with a brake indoors and the percussion will slap me in the face. The AAC percussion does not raise brows.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Oh my, it's adorable!

But really, that is a format I would love to get behind. If I had a tree stand, I imagine that would be an excellent companion.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am sure it would be nice to take up into a tree stand, can prob fit it in a backpack.

Like all of the other Handi rifles, it has one take down screw. I will most likely be upgrading to the thumb screw If I can find one, or fab my own.

Fits neatly into this little takedown case. I got the case in a trade a year ago, never thought I would use it. Is only 26" long, could prob stow it in a smaller 22" case if I had one.

Can tuck away easily in the back of my Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Actually with the 147 @1700 fps, it is no louder than a 308 without a brake. I have shot a 308 with a brake indoors and the percussion will slap me in the face. The AAC percussion does not raise brows.
Go looking for the lee 312-155-2r I just bought it and it is a nice boolit for the 300 BLK and 7.62x39.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Now you got me thinking of a 16" Handi in a pistol or revolver caliber. Just think about one of those puppies in .45 Colt or .45 ACP :D

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Cool write up, I have heard talk of handi-rifles in this caliber but this was the first pictures I have seen of one. :)

Now you got me thinking of a 16" Handi in a pistol or revolver caliber. Just think about one of those puppies in .45 Colt or .45 ACP :D
I have one in .44 mag that rifle in that caliber make great combo. I wouldnt try to shoot it past 100-150 yards but anything closer than that is going to get thumped hard by that slug

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my 309-230-5r mold out and made some boolits. It takes a little getting used to as a few drops will drain the pot real quick and change temp. Anyone making these will have to hold the boolit in the mold a tad longer to ensure they solidify.

Also here is a pic of my super simple chop saw jig. I am using the harbor freight saw that you will see in all of the youtube vids. I took a 54r case, chopped to the size I want, drilled out the primer flash hole large enough to fit a framing nail. I used some 20 mil plumbers tape, cut four strips and lined the inside of the case to fit the 223 case perfectly. Put the nail through the hole, used a spring from a ball pen and then drove the nail into a piece of hardwood.

It is totally off the cuff, but effective. You insert, chop and then push the case out with the nail, viola.

So back to the range I went.

147 and 150's are pretty consistant over 12.8 of 2400

I tried 110 Sierra over 16.5 2400, it shot 12.5 moa high, but the group was decent. I will play with this load and tweak it for 100Y

The cast bullets were seated over 11.5 of IMR4198 and another batch at 9.5 of 2400. I did not gas check them just to see if my luck was on a roll. Well the results were not as good as the other loads. They were pretty much all over. Well the best was 3 inches at 50 with a flyer, at 25 yards was tea plate accurate, but not acceptable.

I will shelve the cast boolits for now and try some gas checks, and play with the loads and maybe try some trailboss.

I would like to try some H110 or Lil-gun, but there is none around. The ironic thing is I started a thread a couple weeks ago "the shelves are filling up" or something like that. The LGS had about 10 pounds of both H110 and Lil-gun and some Winchester equive, me thinking "too bad I dont use this stuff".

Anyway, more as I work up.

In the pic you will see a half bullet mark way at the top of the paper, I was aiming a the circle at the bootom. I then had to hold way low to stay on paper. The 147 is my goto load for now. I have a bunch of these pulls and will use them up this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
I saw two of these at a LGS friday....them things are TINY!!!!

I couldnt believe how lil they were...pics dont do it justice at ALL.

Kinda neat...Im not sure about caliber but I like the gun

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Nice outfit you've got there. Looks like a fun shooter. I had a Handi Rifle in 7mm08 a while back but I sold it as I couldn't get it to group under 2" even with handloads.JR

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
Now you just need an AAC SDN-6 for it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts