Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to set up my daughter with a 20 ga. slug gun with a red dot scope for deer season. I currently have a Tasco ProPoint 3 that I've been happy with on my 12 ga. deer gun (other than the fact that I burn batteries by forgetting to turn it off at least once a season.)

So, I'm seeing scopes that range from $20 to well over $100. Anyone have comments (good or bad) on the cheaper scopes and how well they do on a shotgun shooting deer slugs? Do they stand up to the recoil (i.e. stay sighted in)?

P.S.

Forgive me if this has been covered already. I've tried searching for "red dot scope" and can't seem to get the search engine to quit filtering out the "red" and "dot" as being too short to search on.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I use a BSA red dot sight that I got a Wal-Mart for 29.99 for deer hunting on my Rem 870 12 ga it works pretty good for now but i'm thinking about upgrading in the future

·
Registered
586 Posts
Best reddot deal price vs quality vs preformance is the Millet's at Midsouth. They run $72 to $78 (1' or 30MM). I have three of them now. One is on my Ruger SBH .44mag and it's been on there for 7 years now. I've never had to adjust it since it was first zeroed in.

I had two of the BSA'S and one Simmond's redot and all three broke in less than a mounth if use. I wouldn't spend my money on either of these brands under under any circumstances(I had four Simmonds scopes go bad also).

www.midsouthshooters.com

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
One other thing to think on before spending more money on one. How careful is your daughter? If I were putting one on my son's 20ga, I would get the cheaper one; because, you can buy 2 or 3 of the cheaper units for the price of the good one. I am sure slamming into a tree would have the same effect on both pricey and cheap alike. Really, how good does it have to be considering the group size a 20ga shotgun has with slugs? Oh well, I am sure she will think whichever you get is the coolest thing in town. Good luck!

p.s. I found wal-mart has the cheapest price on those replacement batteries. I leave mine on at least 2 or 3 times a year!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point on taking care of the scope, but I'm not to worried about that. She's pretty responsible, and will be within arm's length at all times.

I am concerned about dave375hh's comments about his two BSA scopes breaking. I don't want it to crap out on opening morning.

Anyone else with BSA experience wanna comment on what they've experienced?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And don't you wish they'd make a switch that you could strap on to the stock / trigger guard so that when you were ready to shoot, you could squeeze the grip to turn on the scope? That would sure solve the dead battery issue.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
we sell allot of bushnells with a change able recticul have not had on complaint yet and they are under $100. i have one on a shot gun and one on a hand gun they work very well, and even withstand a drop out of a tree stand. but we won't talk about that, lol

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
This sounds like a story we need to hear more about! :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have seen more tasco pro points broken at the range from recoil. Nice for the field of view but not if its broken. You must take into this that we shoot 200 rounds a night,once or twice a week.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just bought a Mossberg Bolt action .410 off the internet for 50.00. Mounted a Tasco red dot sight on it and I get 3" groups at 100 yards with slugs. 1800 fps with a 1/5 oz lead slug! Cant wait to shoot a deer with it next month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts