Picking Up a New M&P .40 4" on Saturday....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Ghost, May 30, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Well, my Springfield XD .40 4" got lifted last year in a home burglary. They took the whole d**n safe. Anyway, I have been waiting on the new XD-M model to come out. So I called my guy at the local gun store last week and he got one ordered for me. Went in yesterday to check it out and he happened to have a M&P .40 in the case. I asked to look at it and are you kidding.... I had him put the XD-M up and he has a brand new M&P on it's way for me. Should be here tomorrow. I haven't picked up a pistol yet that fit my hand as well as the M&P. And it's Made in the USA.

Now here's my question...what do you guys that have had this model for a while feed yours? I know everyone has got their opinion, so let's here it. I always keep Federal Hydro-Shock 180 grain for HD, but it's not cheap. I am looking at picking up about 150-200 rounds for the range on Sat. Let me know what you folks think.:feedback:

One more thing, anybody every used AmmunitiontoGo.com ? They seem to have pretty good prices on bulk ammo. Curious as to how stand up they are. I have never purchased ammo online. Thanks for the advice up front.

2. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Wow, sorry to hear about losing all of your guns :( I hope nobody was injured in the burglary.

As for the M&P, great choice! :D When I bought mine, I did nearly the same thing. A gunshop had an XD and M&P right next to each other. From the start, I was leaning toward the M&P just because of it's looks, but then when I held it, well, that sealed the deal. Plus, it's made about 2 hours south of my home, and has a lifetime warranty...can't beat that.

At the range, I throw Winchester White Box and CCI Blazer Brass through mine. For home defense, I like Federal HST's, although Hydro-Shock's are supposed to be very good also. Can't go wrong with Federal :D

I have purchased ammo online for a few years now. My favorite places are Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter and MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes . I've never used ammunitiontogo, but I'm sure someone here has.

Give us a range report once you get your M&P :D

3. My 4 M&P's all like Winchester White for the range. NONE like Blazer Brass - especially the 45.
    Let us know when you get to shoot her please!

4. ackspac

ackspac G&G Newbie

Im picking up my M&P .40c in two weeks. The M&P just feels so much better in my hand then the other compacts I tryed.

5. Ghost

Ghost Guest

So, I fed 2 100rd boxes of WWB through the .40 on Saturday. Man, this gun rocks. Smooth, fits my hand like a glove. I like it better than my Springfield XD .40, suprising to even me. I was hitting 3" groups at 20 yards with no strays, which is great for me. I just saw they came out with the .45 ACP with a thumb safety, they may have to be my next purchase, albeit down the road awhile. Thanks for the feedback so far.

I have one more question. Anyone have a recommendation on night sights? I have been doing some research on the Tru-glo night sights and they seem good, also thought about a Viridian Laser setup. I really think the green laser would be alot better for my eyes too pickup. Any thoughts?

6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

7. muskrat

muskrat G&G Regular

I got my M&P .40 last August....great gun. I have put about 3000 rounds thru it with no malfunctions. It fits my hand lots better than a Glock.

8. JMax

JMax G&G Newbie

SoCal
    Nice to read good reviews as I just won one at the IRC and ordered it in 40.

9. mbott

mbott G&G Newbie

The M&P 40 is a great gun. I was able to pick up a T&E return last year from a state agency that put *maybe* one magazine through it for a great price.

Added the M&P 45 early this year and will add the M&P 45c when it's available.

--
    Mike

10. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Wow...nice! :D

11. mbott

mbott G&G Newbie

AmeriGlo makes a nice set, too. They use the Trijicon inserts, so the quality is up there. I've added sets to both my fullsize .40 and .45 and if I don't get the 45c with the factory Trijicons, I'll add the AmeriGlo night sights to this one, too.

--
    Mike

12. chastoo

chastoo G&G Newbie

Night sight options

I got my M&P 40 about a month ago and have put about 200 rnds of various brands through it without an issue. It's my first handgun and I like it a lot.

I was thinking about night sights as well, and looking at the site above for the Trijicon and was wondering what opinions were out there on the various colors for the rear and front sites.

TIA

13. mbott

mbott G&G Newbie

IMO, your best bet is the all green set of Trijicons. In addition to being the brightest, they are also warranted for the longest period of time. Over twice the length of time of the orange, IIRC.

--
    Mike

14. JMax

JMax G&G Newbie

SoCal
    I have had a chance to shoot my new M&P. Now what do I do with my Glocks. HUMM what a quandary as the M&P is a nicer pistol for a host of reasons.

15. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Boy, I love this gun. I just found out they have a .45 compact out and I am thinking I am just going to have to have one! I would like to get my hands on one before I buy it just to feel the difference in the circumference of the grip.
    On a seperate note...has anyone ever purchased any ammo or maybe even a pistol of the website Gunbroker.com? I have been keeping an eye there for a few weeks and I am seeing some killer prices on the M&P pistols and ammo alike. I am by no means new to the WWW, but usually when a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I am seeing prices of $430.00 for the same pistol I just dropped $570.00 on. Do you guys think I got jacked. My price was out the door and included tax and great service, but $140.00 is alot of ammo worth. Opinions, please???

16. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Ghost, I've bought 3 firearms from Gunbroker.

I found my S&W M&P Fullsize 9mm for $420 last November. It was $420 + $30 Shipping + $20 Transfer fee at my FFL Dealer - $50 rebate + 2 free magazines.

Total was $420 for Fullsize 9mm M&P with 4 Magazines.

You didn't get jacked, you just bought a gun from a local dealer. Local dealers can't compete on a national scale, and thus you will almost always pay more. I was about to pay $600 at a local dealer, and then looked on gun broker.

Another place to look is Buds Guns: Guns for Sale

Scroll down, they have M&P's at $440, and that price includes shipping. They also put things on gunbroker, so you may be looking at the same deal.

17. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Evangelist

The department I retired from, CSPD, is going to the M&P. Everyone I have talked to has nothing but good to say about them. All the range people, both civilian and police, like them alot.:)
    My son went to the range and shot several different pistols and he fell in love with the M&P.
    In other words, good choice, you will probably like it!

18. I rented the M&P .40 and the XD .40 side by side the same day. If you haven't already shot thr M&P I would suggest renting one before you buy it. It is a great gun but it's no XD. I shot 100 rounds out of both M&P and XD and the XD won hands down.

19. racerx

racerx Guest

Ghost, I agree with Bravo...I own a m/p 9mm with the 'trijicon' night-sights....ordered the gun with that option. Came in green ...which I think is standard unless you specificaly order a different color....orange....etc.. Anyway...mine work great...I think they're warrenteed for about ten to twelve years...after that they must be replaced. They glow very nicely...and will easily allow you to line-up a target or sillouette in the dark. Keep in mind they are not a laser nor do they shine any light on your target...so you still have to 'recognize' what your shooting at. Ask your local dealer if they will allow you to go into an un-lit room...restroom..etc..with a gun that has them so you can check them out for yourself before purchasing.....my dealer did.... I recently responded to this same question ....from 'showmebob 'in a prior post...check it out if you like . Anyway hope this helped....peace-out....Racer-X

20. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

We have 100+ M&P 40s at work no issues with any yet.
    All have been flawless, we use ww or centaure depending what we can get for practice.155 gr gold dots for duty ammo.