Picking up a Remington Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by CopperniX, Jan 11, 2017 at 9:42 AM.

1. Jaison likes this.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Wish he'd show the front of the barrel. Is it unmolested? If so, a new military stock and fittings can be installed.

3. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

unfortunately there's no details on what has or hasn't been done to it. have you contacted him, if so what did he say ?.

coincidentally I just passed on a Yugo SKS because Tweedledee had 5" taken off the barrel to eliminate the grenade launcher then had the barrel turned down and had the hooded front sight pinned back on it. If it were me and the barrel had been hacked off of it I would pass on it.

I also passed on a Mossberg MVP 223 because it had a bull barrel on it with no front sight and relied solely on the Optics to shoot it. there wasn't anything wrong with it and it was a real nice rifle, that style of setup just isn't my cup of tea

ChaZam likes this.
  4. I have contacted him about it. He said the only thing done was the stock cut down.

5. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Cool, if it hasn't been counterbored and it's in good condition then finding new furniture for it won't be a problem.

6. Big Dog

7. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I held an unmolested Remington at a gun show a few years ago. The guy wanted $1500 for it. So, it's really worth the asking price, probably. I'm not so sure about finding an actual Remington stock for it though.

Verne

ChaZam likes this.
  8. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My dad had a Remington 1917 M91. It went back to to the family in the mid 1970's, then disappeared. Check for a SSN on the mag bottom or on the bottom of the barrel.

It was in near mint condition. hope whoever ended up with it appreciated that.

9. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have only seen one Remington hex receiver before. It was at a gun show and was too cheap. Looked at it and it had a crack in the receiver. First time ever I saw a cracked one on a Mosin Nagant at all.

10. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All Remington Mosins were hex receivers.

rando and Big Dog like this.
  11. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks Tom. This was the only Remington I have ever seen before. I have at least a dozen Mosin Nagant rifles in round and hex but they are Tula and Izzy,s. I never knew the Rems were only made in Hex. Thanks again Tom.

12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The good news is that Bubba didn't cut the barrel. The bad news is that he did cut the stock. I love people who blithely say, "No big deal! Just drop it into another Remington stock!"

Do you have any idea how rare Model 1891 stocks ARE?! Never mind US-made ones; ANY Model 1891 stock. I have a Tula Model 1891 that I acquired after Bubba done got to it. He didn't cut the barrel, just painted every bit of metal with black automobile enamel; and that I was able to deal with. But the stupid sonofabitch cut down the walnut stock in a pathetic attempt to make it look like a 1950s hunting rifle and failed miserably. I wound up, at the late SwedeSteve's suggestion, putting it into a Finnish M39 stock. It doesn't look exactly right, but the Finnish finger-spliced stock is a lot closer to what she started out with than a 91/30 stock would be.

I've been trying to find a genuine Model 1891 stock for her for ten years without success. I have reached the conclusion that if I want to get her back into a correct 1891 stock, I'm going to have to make one myself, using that Finnish stock as a template and just making it and the handguard a couple of inches longer.

If you find an original Model 1891 Mosin Nagant stock with no alterations, I suggest you buy a couple of lottery tickets the same day -- because you would obviously be the luckiest man alive!

goat roper, Jaison and Brandhard like this.
  13. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Finn Cub lots were sold in the 60's. Here's another example.

[​IMG]

mauser9, ChaZam and shop tom like this.
  14. Big Dog

I do stand by my suggestion. Never said it would be historically accurate, just look "military".
    Like my Spanish M43 Airforce Mauser wearing a modified Brazilian 08 stock. Looks better than what Bubba had done.
    Then, you can track down a "correct stock" while still shooting it.

PAPA G likes this.
  15. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I don't disagree with you, Big Dog, given that is what I have had to do with my Model 1891 Tula. The Finnish finger-spliced stock I have her in is about 2 inches shorter than the original 1891 stock; the impression it leaves me with is that the rifle is wearing capri pants, or maybe clamdiggers, instead of full length pants, if you follow my reasoning here. The rifle is perfectly shootable, although with anything below 205 grain softpoints she goes BANG instead of BOOOM. But being a fussbudget, I still want the correct stock on that rifle, if I can manage to find one.

goat roper, PAPA G and Big Dog like this.
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All Remington Mosin Nagants had hex receivers. The sporterizing really really sucks and detracts oh so much fron it's collector value. I would love to denut the Bubba that did it to one of the rarer Mosin Nagants out there. How can you tell if he didn't chop the barrel, which from his picture I cannot see. If he did, I wouldn't give him over $100 for it. Are all the numbers matching? Also the front sight looks wrong to me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 2:24 AM
    Cyrano likes this.
  17. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Where his listing says . "shipping - no", does that mean he is not willing to ship it?

18. Yeah it means he won't ship. I won't either as I talked him down to 100 bucks and 100 rounds of .45 acp.

19. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor