Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after a run to the local (60 miles away) gun store that actually had powder and primers. i got my kit together.

i finished my first tray of 50 at 2:30 last night.

the biggest headache was setting the die's. the seater-crimper instructions were like reading a riddle. i never did get the hornady die for the lee hand press to crimp correctly, but the on that comes in the lee classic loader kit works great (just add hammer). ill tinker with getting the hornady die to crimp right today. it seats fine, it was just :censored: me off last night and i got tired of it, so i went to the classic and it's crimper worked great.

took them outside for this pic :censored: lights inside keeps making them look yellow.

the silver (nickel) even looks better in the speedloader

and they :censored: sure look better in my Redhawk.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I'm not a reloader...but you made it sound fun. I would enjoy the detailed work required getting them to meet specs...but I don't shoot enough to justify the extra expense of reloading equipment.

BTW...those were great pic's. Nice camera work you did displaying your work.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
deceptic240 Thanks for the story and excellent pictures, now how did the reloads do on the range. I'd sure would hate to be on the receive end of that cannon...A.H

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
as far as the fun... yea it was very cool. the biggest headache is get a consistent scoop measurement. i wanted to be precise, so just to check i would weight the bullet and funnel then set the tare back to 00. then i used the scoop on 10 shells and went back to see that they were all the same. well they were erratic, 19-17-19-20-20-15-20-17-20-19. so i went to the accurate website, and they had used a ruger redhawk as a test barrel (that was convenient) they said a lite load was 21.2 grains and the biggest being 23.6. the biggest load i got with the lee scoop was 20 so i went with it and made all my loads 20 gn with the #9 powder. i can't wait to see how they do!

haven't made it to the range again yet, since it's 60 miles away, but i will. and hopefully with at least 100 rounds.

anybody reloading .44 magnums with accurate #9, i would love to know what grain weight you use, and to what effect. the specials only call for like 7 or 8 grains. that just seems crazy, but what do i know.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Awesome pictures, especially the last one, the gun looks great.

I was considering reloading, and probably will do it in the future. I just don't have time to reload right now, and I currently don't shoot enough to make it worth the money and time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm roughly $375 invested and thats with enough to do 500 bullets without anything else. 500 bullets at the local shop price of 50 -$35 is $350 for 500 so for an extre 25 i have all of my equipment i'll need (short of a tumbler), and an extra 500 primers(bought 1000).and thats with me going with the nickel casings and the silver alloy bullers, you could go cheaper. and from this point on...
all i will have to buy is :

bullets 500 = $34.00
powder for 500 2lbs = $35.00
primers =$12.00
-----------------------------
500 loaded bullets = $81.00 vs.$350 for 500 at gunshop

500 bullets at $81.00 = .16 cents a bullet
as long as my shells hold up but even that wouldn't make that much of a difference

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Now you`ve had it. Used to be you walked into the gunshop and went straight over to the ammo shelves or gun rack. Soon, you`ll peruse the reloading section, " I`ll just get this one item, it`ll really speed things up :) "

Then it`ll spiral out of control. People will flee at the sight of you, lest they get assailed with reloading data regarding your latest pet load.

Oh, you may just plod along as you are, content to just whip up batches of what you need with what you have now, I`m sure I know atleast one or two guys who do that, then there is the rest of us :D

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Now you`ve had it. Used to be you walked into the gunshop and went straight over to the ammo shelves or gun rack. Soon, you`ll peruse the reloading section, " I`ll just get this one item, it`ll really speed things up :) "

Then it`ll spiral out of control. People will flee at the sight of you, lest they get assailed with reloading data regarding your latest pet load.

Oh, you may just plod along as you are, content to just whip up batches of what you need with what you have now, I`m sure I know atleast one or two guys who do that, then there is the rest of us :D
im a plodder....for now!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Nice pictures there. I need to get going on my reloading, but I've been way too busy lately.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the biggest headache was setting the die's. the seater-crimper instructions were like reading a riddle. i never did get the hornady die for the lee hand press to crimp correctly, but the on that comes in the lee classic loader kit works great (just add hammer). ill tinker with getting the hornady die to crimp right today. it seats fine, it was just :censored: me off last night and i got tired of it, so i went to the classic and it's crimper worked great.
well , while i was riding down th road today the riddle of the Hornady die crimp feature came to me. i tried it out a minute ago and after three shells i got it. man i'm stoked, that was the only part really :censored: me off. i am ordering the autoprimer though i don't want to be beating them in with a hammer much longer!

yea, but i didn't know i needed one till now!:sgrin:the tumbler however,is just coming later due to not finding consistent data on which one i can depend on!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Ah, nothing like the shakes you get from firing your first reloads. What did I mess up? Is my gun going to explode? Then it turns to well let's see if 1/10 more grain will make it more accurate. Here's a recipe I've never tried. Darn, cast lead is cheaper than jacketed. What is the density of this powder? All the inponderables, the notes, finding that "sweet" load your pistol seems to love.

Wish I was 21 and starting all over again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pictures of new press

Hi:

Been reloading for a while with a single stage rcbs press. My wife started
using all the ammo, so I got a Lee Progressive 1000. Ordered it from the
factory. Refurbished, like new, for $96.00 with accessories and dies. I got it
today (5 days to ship to houston) and the result is 250 40cal rounds in 3 hours, and that includes setting up the press, and my numerous mistakes adjustments. I'm very impressed with this for the price.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
god i wish i had the space for that! ive got the anniversary press and its ok but i can put it in the closet when im done. someday i'll get a bigger house.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts