pjk-9HP extractor

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MSW, May 28, 2002.

1. MSW

MSW Guest

I just replaced the extractor on my pjk-9hp and the gun seems to work a bit better. Instead of failing to extract and jamming on a few rounds, it now jams after about 7 - 10 rounds. I'm not sure why but, I've had trouble with this gun from the start. I've polish the ramp and throat but no luck in getting it to work properly. Any suggestions out there.

M.

2. Don Williams

Don Williams Guest

MSW, Can you be more specific as to how it's jamming? The FEG's have th old style feedramp, and that can sometimes be problematic for feeding, and if you're haveing extraction problems, it could be not enough tension on the extractor, or it may need to be profiled. There are a lot of things than can cause feeding problems, and mags can be one of them. Have you tried different mags, and does it jam with all of them?

3. MSW

MSW Guest

When it jams, the slide would be about a quarter to a half inch back with the empty case partially out of the chamber. The slide is jamed so tight that I can't manually pull it back to eject the empty case. I have to use rubber mallet to tap on the slide to get it unjamed. When it does eject, sometimes the case would get caught sideways in the ejection port and sometimes it will not eject at all. I use three mags, one is 13 rd browning hi-power mag, and the other two is the South African 17 rd mag. It seems the SA mags works bit better than the browning one. With the browning mag the bullets tend to go strait up and get caught on the top of the slide. The jams do occur with all the mags.

I purchased the new extactor from KBI and it has been working a bit better than the one that came with the gun. I've change all the original recoil, firing pin, and extractor springs with springs from Wolfe. At this point I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

4. Don Williams

Don Williams Guest

There may be several things at work here. If you're using factory loads, your chamber may be too tight, which makes it difficult for the slide to extract the empty (could also be a rough chamber). When you replaced the springs with Wolff, did you use standard weight recoil spring? When a recoil spring is too stiff (or when a mag spring is too light), the mag sometimes can't keep up with the velocity of the slide, and you will get mis-feeds and loaded round stovepipes. This will also cause erratic ejection, as the slide doesn't have enough speed to smack the empty case into the ejector with enough force to kick it loose from the extractor.
    I think it best if you have a qualified 'smith take a look at it. I don't think it's anything major, but more a collection of errors that can be easily fixed. Good Luck.

5. MSW

MSW Guest

The recoil spring is 17 lbs factory standard. I think you may be correct about the tight chamber. The cases that do eject seems to have a uniform abrasion all around them. I polished the ramp and chamber, but did it moderately. I might polish the the chamber again and see if this will help. I've placed an empty cases into the disassembled barrel and it does seem tight. If things don't imporve, I will take the gun to a smith and see if they can solve the problem.

M.