close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Planning on my first AR build...

Discussion in 'AR15' started by ghost_raven, Jul 4, 2017.

1. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    Does the trigger and hammer pin go through the receiver holes with no components in the frame?

2. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

Yes... I've also put it through the trigger group outside of the frame. However, when I put it all together, I can't get past the disconnector. Maybe it's a practice makes perfect thing, I dunno. I've been able to get the 1/8th inch brass punch through a couple times, and have tried chasing it back out with the trigger pin, but still no luck yet.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    jwrauch likes this.
  3. ghost_raven

Finally got it!

After that, the next few steps were fairly easy - so far, I have the magazine catch, the bolt catch, the trigger group, the selector switch, and the pistol grip all installed. Looks like to continue, I'll need the buffer tube assembly.

4. jerry

USA
    Good job

5. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You Sir, have a RECCE build not an SPR. ;) An SPR has an 18" match barrel with a rifle length gas system with magnified optic.

RECCE (SEAL Recon rifle) is typically an accurized 16" carbine or midlength gas system (carbine for the military variants) with a medium power variable power optics. Precise, but lighter weight and more compact than an SPR build.

I'm building one myself (just waiting for optics planet to finally ship my new scope).

Nice carbine!

jwrauch and Wicked109 like this.
  6. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I think Jerry said it best ask questions, DPMS is most prolific and next question is the lower are you doing 80% or serialized. I have an 80% Polymer 80 with a moriarti upper

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

yes you will need an 1/8th in punch to use to line everything up as one is pushed out the pin goes right in make sure to function check at every step

8. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

if you are good with a tap get set screws and thread the hole holding in the rear detent you will find that will save you lots of searching for springs during disassembly

jwrauch likes this.
  9. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

TACAV Thanks for the clarification and correction. Looking forward to seeing your new build.

TACAV and MosinRuger like this.
  10. ghost_raven

How do you like the scope, btw? I looked it up, and it seems fairly inexpensive. Also seems a reasonable magnification range for the Grendel round.

11. ghost_raven

Got the shipping notice e-mail for my upper today, ordered a scope and mount last night, and a magazine the night before. Will try and get the buffer tube assembly, stock, and charging handle tomorrow... then I should be all set.

jerry likes this.
  12. ghost_raven

For those curious, here's my completed lower. Spike's Tactical receiver, basic parts kit from Black Rain Ordnance, and an Odin Works stock and buffer tube. I managed to launch the detent and spring for the front take down pin only once... found the pivot pin pretty quickly, then found the spring just as I was getting ready to go to the store for a spare.

[​IMG]

13. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Ghost_raven, Vortex discontinued the model but I absolutely love it and it also has their VIP lifetime warranty. $270 MSRP but Optics Planet was a much lower price. It was designed to handle magnum loads so I figure it will handle anything I will ever do with it.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Would I ever buy another Vortex product, absolutely without a doubt.

14. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Which scope and mount did you decide on??? Of course we want to know. :)

15. jerry

USA
    Don't feel bad about the launch. I pulled a boner and accidentally put the takedown pin in the pivot pin position. It was a literal miracle I got it out.

jwrauch, ghost_raven and Big Dog like this.
  16. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Hehe, been there, done that. Only mine was switching a couple pins on my Colt M1991A1, then wondering why the hammer pin kept walking out! "DOH!"

jwrauch and jerry like this.
  17. ghost_raven

This is the scope I ordered: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EC7KMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ...and this is the mount: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QITM3WK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have one other Vortex product already - the Sparc II is on my regular AR-15. Been loving it so far, and I imagine it'd be great for home defense, especially when it's dark.

Wicked109 likes this.
  18. ghost_raven

Yeah... from what I've been reading, losing those detents and springs is very common, to where many instructions I've found online have recommended buying spares. Thankfully, I didn't need to. So, I've got that much of a bragging right.

...not only that, but I managed to not slice my finger on the utility knife I was using to hold in the detent while I maneuvered the takedown pin into its hole.

19. ghost_raven

At any rate, the tracking info says the upper half will arrive on Friday, my scope on Tuesday, my magazine on Wednesday. Hopefully the upper comes a little early :)

SKS NOOB and jerry like this.