Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on buying a MN sniper from guns america has any one bought threw guns america if so hows the service or should i go to some one else

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been thinking about an MN sniper myself. I've looked at Guns America but not purchased anything from them. One of the other forums that I visit recommended RGUNS as being a safe place to purchase authentic MN snipers. They are priced at $800.
As I understand it, there are some MNs out there that have been modified to appear to be snipers, but they are not.

Michael

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
guns america is a bunch of classified ads. there's no way we can tell you if the guy selling it can be trusted. have you got a link to the auction?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am now considering buying a $500 sniper from the local big 5 surprisingly the rifle is an original sniper but the scope i don't know about

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I am now considering buying a $500 sniper from the local big 5 surprisingly the rifle is an original sniper but the scope i don't know about
These are sniper repo's. The scope will not be of WWII vintage but a scope made by the same company on the same tooling so it is authentic just not of WWII vintage. In my case the rifle I purchased was a real sniper rifle with a new scope. If you can go through the rifles and handle them look at the reciever after the step down on the left hand side just above the wood. Take a close look and see if you can either see remains of numbers there or obvious grind marks where the scope serial number was ground off of the rifle. If you can find one it would be worth the $500 bucks to me. You would have a real sniper rifle with a replacement scope and mount. Worth a bit more in my opinion. Still these rifles have not been sighted in and this is a little bit of work to get the windage correct because you have to grind down the mount where it sits up agianst the receiver to adjust the windage.

Michael

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Yea, the Big5 snipers are repros. If you buy one of those, to be a true "ex-sniper" it will have to be marked accordingly. Izhevsk ex snipers have the original serial number of the scope on the left side of the barrel shank stamped just above the stock line. Tula ex snipers have a CH or СП stamp above the Tula star. Izhevsk and Tula rifles will be accompanied by plugged scope mount holes (of course you can see this with no scope mount attached) on the left side of the receiver wall. Do your research. Rguns is your best bet for a real sniper, as they are using vintage parts. Big5 and just about every other "sniper" you see out there is deemed a "sniper" but it isn't a real ex sniper, or has a repro scope on it. Classic, or Big5 will have a random 91/30 drilled and fitted for a current reproduction scope.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
if you don't want to pay what a real one's worth, then just get the cheapest copy you can get your hands on. or get a 91/30 and a scope and marry them. sorry. real snipers aren't cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts