close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Playi'n the powder confusion game

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Apr 2, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    OK, I decided to go back to good ol'e BP in my .50 TC recently. (I have used Pyrodex RS for about 10 yrs) went ot buy some and could not find it. I had every excuse from "didn't want to do all the paperwork" to "gotta have an underground bunker now"

As usual now days i went on to settle on something else. looking at the shelf i noted a couple of ohter Hodgen products LUCKY SEVEN (i think) and Hogden select. dealer couldn't really explain the difference in the $5 price difference except for better. Huh? I know there are potential ignition issues with exotic powders and non-inlines. so i stuck with Hogden RS. I'll still look for the BP in my travels.

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

I think you were referring to Hodgdon's new Triple Seven. It is supposed to be made for modern rifles (inlines) and is supposed to be very clean burning and will clean up using only water. Note that I said "supposed to be" because I nor anyone that I know has actually used it, I'm just going by what Hodgdon says about it. I may try Triple Seven in my Knight 45 Super DISC inline in the future, but for now I'll stick with using Pyrodex Pellets in it and Pyrodex RS and Select in my sidelock rifles. The Pyrodex Select is basically a match grade (that sounds kinda' wierd) of Pyrodex RS. The Select has more uniformly sized granules and can reduce group sizes in some rifles by allowing a more accurate measurement of the charge. Then again, in most muzzleloaders, a 2-3gr difference in powder charges usually isn't even noticable, so it may not help as much as one would assume.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2002

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    thanks that clears up some of the cornfusion. your right, it was triple 7. still looking for BP.

4. I buy most of my BP at rendevous,I stock up when I can find them,really like Elephant powder.