Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, here is my thought. Not answering your question actually, but there is nothing wrong with having more than one, keep this one simple, add a light and keep it as is, use it as a defensive gun, plinker, and range gun. You do not need a scope to answer the door at night, nor do you need one when camping, yet they provide a great deal of comfort.

Then get a second flat top and set up the optics any way you want. I have them with no optics, one with the little 3 x 9 x 40 illuminated AR scopes and one with a 3 x 9 x 40 hunting scope The two with scopes have the quick detach mounts. My take is everybody needs 2 ARs and one with just irons is just fine. Funny I carried the M16 for years, and the only optics were on the front side of my face. I qualified with those things with open sights, expert every time, out to 350 meters, over 20 years. If I can do it anybody can. If you can shoot it well, just enjoy it as is and do not worry about additional optics. And who cares what it looks like, if it works for you. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the gun.

Oh yea, I buy paracord in the 1,000 foot roll I put it on slings also, keeps them from slipping off the shoulder. Whatever works.
Haha right on well said my friend. Im definitely going retro with this one and keeping it simple. The way this rifle was set up when I bought it kinda had me in a pickle. The previous owner had taken the fsb gas block off and installed a low pro and a free float quad rail. It had a standard fixed A2 rifle stock but with a carbine length buffer spring and a carbine buffer.. even though it has a rifle gas system and a 20" barrel. I was like what the ? I thought maybe the low pro gas block is adjustable and that could be why but nope it not. Didnt really make any sense to me.. though I think I have an idea of why it was set up that way but thats for another post I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Welp ima get this rds off of here and just run the irons. Everything Im leaving as is, I really have put a lot of time into sprucing this rifle up and im sorry.. but shes lookin real sexy I must say. Should be a good time though its been awhile since Ive used only irons and im ready
20201127_212652.jpg
to see if I still got it

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow, I have a couple of those rails like Brownells is selling, just laying around here somewhere. They put the optic pretty much where yours already is. But I picked up a bunch of them for less than 10bucks years back. Lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
Welp ima get this rds off of here and just run the irons. Everything Im leaving as is, I really have put a lot of time into sprucing this rifle up and im sorry.. but shes lookin real sexy I must say. Should be a good time though its been awhile since Ive used only irons and im ready View attachment 157022 to see if I still got it
Unless you are shooting prairie dogs, there is absolutely zero wrong with that gun. And with 30 round mags, prairie dogs are at risk. The less stuff you have on a gun, the easier it goes around corners and through thick brush. I learned early that a rifle or shotgun in a patrol car can hang up on radio cords, seat belts, and lots of stuff when you are trying to get it out in a hurry. So, I have some loaded up ARs and some with nothing but a light. That's just me. Just shoot it and report back. I have also found the secret to accuracy with peep sights and older eyes, just use bigger apperatures and bigger targets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wow, I have a couple of those rails like Brownells is selling, just laying around here somewhere. They put the optic pretty much where yours already is. But I picked up a bunch of them for less than 10bucks years back. Lol
Right on, ive found a few on amazon that are decently priced.. but you never know what your getting into with stuff from amazon lol. Im a believer in the saying you get what you pay for but $100 for one of those is a but ridiculous I think lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Unless you are shooting prairie dogs, there is absolutely zero wrong with that gun. And with 30 round mags, prairie dogs are at risk. The less stuff you have on a gun, the easier it goes around corners and through thick brush. I learned early that a rifle or shotgun in a patrol car can hang up on radio cords, seat belts, and lots of stuff when you are trying to get it out in a hurry. So, I have some loaded up ARs and some with nothing but a light. That's just me. Just shoot it and report back. I have also found the secret to accuracy with peep sights and older eyes, just use bigger apperatures and bigger targets.
My thoughts exactly. When I first got bit by the AR bug I wanted every gadget and more that would fit. I couldnt tell you how much money I essentially wasted from buying some sort of accessorie that ultimately never got used because I realized it didnt make my shooting anymore accurate or efficient. Its funny because I look at a lot of other forum sites its nothing but people bickering back and forth because his gun isnt exactly set up how theirs are, therefore its rendered useless and it wont work lol. Theres nothing wrong with experimenting and going outside the box but I think you should have atleast one firearm set up to where you are comfortable and confident you can pick it up and engage targets with. My grandfather told me once that "If oiled and clean a gun will do what, when and where its told. Its not the gun one should be worried about but the marksmanship of the person whos behind it." Made more sense to me as I grew older. Ive seen some weird rigged-up configurations out there but I would take any bet that them dudes holding those guns could get on target at 300m in a blink of an eye

·
Registered
427 Posts
Right on, ive found a few on amazon that are decently priced.. but you never know what your getting into with stuff from amazon lol. Im a believer in the saying you get what you pay for but $100 for one of those is a but ridiculous I think lol
These were original milsurp/aim point mounts. Granted I still have a few aimpoint mark III’s, one still in the box. And one pre- forward assist upper with the carry handle. Guys gotta have “stuff”.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts