Please help me identify this Mauser...pics

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by roadie, May 11, 2008.

1. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

I just got this today, really nice rifle. Seller said it was a czech mauser 98 German capture. Said he looked up the serial number and it was made in 1916. It fires 8mm mauser, and it came with the case it was test fired with when it was imported. The pics show all the markings I could find, if a better pic is needed to identify let me know and I will take more. The stock is laminated, and in really good shape...most of the blue is worn off, but it has a nice color to it. There is a little rust on the top of the receiver which I will remove soon. I would like as much info as you all can give me on this rifle. Also, I think i paid a pretty fair price but I am interested to see what you folks would value it at. Thanks. C&R purchase #2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this pic shows the german marks..lower right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

underside of the front of the barrel
    [​IMG]

another german mark on the sight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    its a cheklosovakian made k98 with a winter trigger guard.

3. F1609

F1609 Guest

you buy it from Samco Global?

Welcome to Samco Global Arms, Inc.

thats the exact same rifle. I really like the stocks on them. How much you pay? To bad the bluing isn't as rich as a like new one, that stock would look really nice w/ a deep blueing.

4. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

Well, i kinda dig the non blued look...but that's just me. No, got it at a show today, paid much less than the samco one. I know it's a CZ 98, but I am looking for a little more detail. Anyone know where I can look up the serial number to verify age? or a website that shows the markings and what they mean or why they're there. I just want as much info as I can get.

I'll probably put this one through a similar process that I am doing to my .410 Enfield, but I won't mess with the stock, maybe just brighten it up a bit.

5. F1609

F1609 Guest

they need a website for Mausers like they have for the Mosin Nagant. 7.62x54r.net for mausers would be amazing. Nope no help from me. Just be careful with the blue being removed, it is WAY more prone to rust, so watch out.

6. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

Naa, we talked about this before when I started my enfield project...I live in southern nevada...not enough humidity in the air here for that...not by a longshot...I doubt I could get a gun to rust here if I tried. Heck, I knocked my boom box into my koi pond by accident, the next day it had dried out enough that when I turned it on it was ok...the air here is really dry...but thanks for the concern.

7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    im not going to do all your homework for you, but it was made during WWII.

8. There is, at least if this Mauser Central :: Index - Mauser Central
    is what you mean. Try over there Roadie, they ought to be able to help.

9. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

so I went to the other mauser forum and got this. I am happ to do my own homework, I just need little help finding the right reading materials.

Imported by Federal Ord. in Califorina in the early 1990's. Came in with the bach of Mausers out of Turkey.

Mauser 98 made by BRNO. with Nazi waffen proofs.

Also has the East German proofs on the barrel,(1950's). The Triangle marking on the receiver is an Iragi Guard proof. This one has been around a bit.

I stll have one, and sold the worst oneI had about in your condition Sold for an easy $ 600.00, several years ago.

Neat item. And very collectable

10. Ok, I'm a little lost. It appears to be a Vz-24 model. If the stock and trigger guard are original, then it would be like a 40's era rifle, not 1916. I looked up the WaA63 mark, and my source says that's an inspectors mark for rifles made at the Mauser factory in Oberndorf, yet it's obviously a Czech gun. I'm thinking that just maybe that it was an arsenal refurb that was originally made in Czechoslovakia, then possibly refurbished at the Mauser Oberndorf factory? As for being made in 1916, I can't verify that at all. I know the Czechs made Mausers from 1924 to 1942, but I can't say they didn't before 1924, but I've never seen anything that says they did either. I'm guessing that it's just a VZ-24 made in probably 41 or 42. I'm saying that because of the style of the stock and the winter trigger guard. I'll keep looking. Good luck!

11. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

Thanks, I'm figured it was a vz24 as well, but saw no markings to verify. I'm just as lost, but it's obviously been around for sure with the Iraqi mark and all. I just noticed something as well, on the rear sight, there are distance graduations on both sides, as if it was made to be flipped over and used with the same markings...on the underside the graduations go from 1 to 20, I am guess that is in hundreds of meters...why?

12. You could also try this site roadie? I'm not sure if it will have anything that will help, but you never know. Check the links on the left side of the page...

ArmsCollectors.com Main Page

13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
  14. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

A lot of older actions were made up into Kar98K configurations like this after Czechoslovakia "joined" the Reich. Your rifle has been around! I don't know about the $600 price. I bought one in better shape for $125 about two years ago. The two different elevation calibrations are for two different bullet weights, about 154 and 194 grains if memory serves. I don't have my reference book handy. They are good actions. Brno made no junk.

15. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

Here is another post from another mauser forum...also the seller is sending me some links for info...I checked the few that were posted here and didn't get far. This is gonna take some real research I guess. Anyway, here's what another mauser guru had to say

"""I've got one in somewhat better shape with lots of bluing. One about your shape might be worth $500.00 -700.00 to the right collector who is to WW2 98k with at twist.

Looks like a 1930 era BRNO receiver with 98k barrel, the large triggerguard is called a Winter trigger guard. Front band shoud be facing to the left side. Stock appers correct for late war.

Looks like a Late war rifle put together with parts, in the last days of the war. Althogh some were assembeled after WW2, with left over parts at CZ.

When these show up they are pretty spent as far as finish, having been in the Deserts of Iraq.

No single book with all this info. As I sit at my desk I can count 15 books on Mausers. East German Crown over U is a proof used after 1950 thru 1974, shown in the "Standard Directory of Proof Marks" Jolex Publications.

I have several Iraqi Mausers with the Triangle Republican Gaurd proofs.

I've spent a long time, playing with Mausers, and knowledge just comes a long with that."""

16. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

This is Not a K98k! It is a post war built rifle in K98k configuration - except for the sling band. That may well not be original to the rifle. I forget which country made that modification - post war.
    I think the rec is a VZ 23 - Not a VZ 24. I'd guess mid/late 20s production.
    You don't show the bbl markings so not sure if it is a czech bbl or an e German one.
    The rifle is post war assembled - winter trig guard was commonly used - and sold to e Germany who in turn sold it to the Iraqis. From what I've seen of these the Iraqi proof on both the bbl & rec is unusual.
    The eagle 63 proof team was moved the Bruno int 1940.
    Sarge