close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plinking

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Despoiler, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Today I took my M91/30 and M44 and went plinking. This is the first time I have taken these rifles out to the forest, during the winter I go to the range. Shooting at paper is fun, but sometimes you just gotta go plink. Although I don’t think plinking accurately describes what was happening. First I annihilated some full tin cans, my wife saves the cans that our kids remove the wrappers from. These things blew. I also had some full aerosol cans, theses literally exploded. Once I thought all of the good targets were gone I turned my attention to some really looking dangerous rocks. I was exploding rocks that were 12 inches across. 80 rounds later and a nice bruise forming, there were no more dangerous rocks in the vicinity. These things are cannons. I have to say if you have not taken your rifle out to plink you need to.
    :assult:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2002
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

glad you had a blast !!(pun intended) just remember to police up the debris. don't give the antis any more ammo!!!!:rolleyes:

3. Always!:D
    I picked my trash, plus everything else I could find. Even some brass for 40 SW. I don't own a 40, not yet anyways:cool:

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

The range I go to allows soda cans..depending on the range master....my kids love it when they plink unopned soda cans...will have to ty the mosan on one.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

This Saturday, two younger shooting buddies were here at the range, one had a new Romanian AK and a case of Wallmart drinks. The other kid got to shoot an AK for the first time, and did very well. Oh, the carnage! Dead soda cans littered the battlefield. Guess what Eric's next gun will be? He's not a newbie, and is slowly building a nice little collection of his own. Next week, I plan to take a Mosin there, and get him hooked on the big stuff.

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

just a tip for you pop can shooters. buy the diet soda. believe it or not the bees aren't attracted to it!! probably can't smell the nutra-sweet!!:D

7. Big Dog

But then we wouldn't have the moving targets for our .22 ratshot challenges!

8. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Believe it or not I used to shoot out of date beer cans from the distributor I used to work for. Nothing like watching some old dog explode when hit by a heavy round.

9. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Save up 1 gal milk jugs fill em with water
    (important safety tip) makesure you are at least 25 yds away from milk jug when shooting or you may have old milk/water all over you.

10. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Ah yes, good old rock shooting. My friends and I have taken care of many a rock in northern WI. Soda cans are great to shoot too. Found some old(read: aged better than the wine most people drink) beer in the house that will come out to the range with me next time I go. They will fall victim to my new M-44. Always wanted to do milk jugs, just never got around to bringing them. My AR-15 took out a bowling pin once, that was fun. Can't think of any other plinking targets right now....

-Tim

11. Big Dog

Try freezing the water-filled milkjugs. They standup well to .22's, but explode nicely with heavy calibers.