plum creek kennels

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by chewy4480, May 23, 2008.

1. chewy4480

chewy4480 G&G Newbie

I'm going to get a French Brittany. I think the breeder I'm going to go with is plum creek. I was wondering if anyone has used them, know someone that has, or heard anything about them. Their website looks like they would be a good breeder. I'm in Iraq so my wife is going to call them today. Thanks for the help.

2. If I might suggest, contact the breed specific club. The membership there could give you a good idea as to their reputation. Belay that last sentence, I checked out their website. An Orvis endorsement tells me their dedication to quality.

I would e-mail Plum Creek and ask that they e-mail you a copy of their purchase contract. There are two main things I look for in the contract. First and foremost IMHO, they must show a strong concern for where they are placing their pups. Far to many good dogs wind up in rescue because some breeders focus solely on quality and could care less what the dog might endure after it leaves their possession. Next I want to know their dedication to breed standard (as it was originally intended).

Something else, if you will bear with me. Would you consider taking in a rescue? Perfectly good dogs can be had at nothing near the expense, plus you can give the dog a chance it may never have had.

Here is a link to the FB breed club. Welcome to French Brittany.Org

3. chewy4480

chewy4480 G&G Newbie

Thanks asphalt cowboy and I'll look into rescuing a FB.

4. forestgleaner

forestgleaner G&G Newbie

One other thing you might one to think about is getting a breed that has been breed for hunting and not for show. I went with a boykin Spaniel, they are breed for hunting. To be recognised as a boykin spaniel, they must be certified with clear hips and other things, to make certain that, the breed is not infected with hips problems such as labs. I am not breeding mine, I have two small children, and just don't have the time or energy to do it, or I would.
    I don't really know anything about french brittenies, I don't know if the breed has certain problems that are passed on. I do know they are breed for show as well as for hunting. Make certain there is a contract, and be clear as to what happens and why. If my dog did not pass his tests at the vet at one year old, I could give him back, and get a new puppy. I could never do that of course, but you should consider that a sign that the breeder has confidence his dogs are healthy.
    I have two labs, or mostly labs, and watching one grow old with the hip dysplacia is hard. He still gets along ok, but he has never liked jumping, or hopping down from things, and to get him in the truck, I pick his 80 pound butt up. If I could by selective breeding, prevent the passing on of any genetic problems, I would.
    That said, your dog will be your dog, you have to be happy with him, and visa versa. Good luck

5. Bonasa

Bonasa G&G Newbie

French Brittanies Rule! Plum Creek is Tops!

Previous Poster: "I don't really know anything about french (sic) brittenies." Truer words . . . etc.
    Hunting-oriented breeders such as Bill & Kathy Dillon have gone back to France and brought us the French Brittany in a restoration of the hunting genes largely bred out of many of the lines of American Brittanies.
    Although I have only corresponded with them by e-mail, I found them to be professional, very competent and cordial, not only when I was buying my puppy, but also in casual exchanges since then they have maintained a personal interest in Freckles' development. They run a well-regarded training facility and a premier pheasant lodge.
    Take a look at Pointing Dog Journal, Gun Dog (the magazine) or Upland Almanac. These are wingshooting magazines. See what breeds get the attention. See what breeds Tom Huggler, Ben Williams, et al. rely on.
    Be safe and go for a Epagneul Breton when you get back. In Nov. Mr. F. and I are headed to Kansas for some ringnecks and bobwhites. Bonasa