Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
its the "they will never catch me" syndrome.
Sort of like the Alabama game warden that's amassed an incredible collection of fishing gear and rifles. I would have thought that stealing fishing gear, and especially rifles, under color of law enforcement would be illegal, or at least immoral. What's the chance of some of those rifles not being properly registered and no 4473 form being filled out for a few of them. But hey, they'll never catch him, right...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So...what does he do with the deer?

A guy I grew up with is a game warden here in Alabama. He works the river, so deer poaching is a little less common, but not unheard of. He has amassed an incredible collection of fishing gear and quite a few rifles through the years, and fish fries are not unheard of at his office.
PHD he is required to keep the rack or the head for evidence in case it is wanted in court. He always gives the meat away. He gets to meet so many people and has a list of people that are living in poverty or disabled or retired and very little income. Handicapped people also that cant get out but desire wild meat. He either calls them or stops by while meat is fresh. He also gets quite a bit of fish. He is just one of a few Wildlife officers in his area and he does all the traveling in several counties and woods and forests. He also does three major lakes that are like huge and have marinas at them. He also has to work them in a boat. He has three boats located at three different lakes. He has never taken any of the confiscated meat or game. He and his sons hunt and fish themselves and got about a dozen deer themselves. They depend on deer meat for food and dont eat store bought beef.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its the "they will never catch me" syndrome.
Yep. Some poachers even brag on social media sites. They brag that no warden will ever catch me. Yes he has taken at least a few of them down . Believe me he is not out there to get the guy that just made an honest mistake. He is very reasonable and respectful as long as he is given the same back. Hell he mostly is tied up late at night with drunk drivers or whatever when he is on the road late patrolling. Its a dangerous situation some nights as people simply dont want to be arrested or go to jail and will do anything to get away. I have heard it all from him

Registered
Sort of like the Alabama game warden that's amassed an incredible collection of fishing gear and rifles. I would have thought that stealing fishing gear, and especially rifles, under color of law enforcement would be illegal, or at least immoral. What's the chance of some of those rifles not being properly registered and no 4473 form being filled out for a few of them. But hey, they'll never catch him, right...
Do they not have "found property" laws in your neck of the woods? You find something, turn it into law enforcement, and if no one claims it after a certain amount of time,you can claim it.

I'm not sure how someone "steals" abandoned property.

The owner could claim it at any time, but never do since they would be admitting to a crime.

As for the rifles not being registered...what Commie part of the country do you live in where registration is a requirement? In free states, firearms do not have to be registered. A 4473 is a form for dispensation to a buyer from an FFL. It is not, in itself, a registration, and people buy, trade and sell firearms as individual property. Assuming a firearm was not listed as stolen property, and the original; buyer does not claim it, it is treated as any other property in many cases.

Registered
I have know poachers that killed for a rack, only took the rack and the back straps and just leave the rest to rot, those guys I hated. Then I have known those poachers that yeah they killed an illegal deer out of season but them and their families ate and stretched their food stamps for a couple of months and kept themselves and their kids fed, those guys I didn't mind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts