Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I have know poachers that killed for a rack, only took the rack and the back straps and just leave the rest to rot, those guys I hated. Then I have known those poachers that yeah they killed an illegal deer out of season but them and their families ate and stretched their food stamps for a couple of months and kept themselves and their kids fed, those guys I didn't mind.
I hear and understand that.
The first kind you mention was hitting a buddies property and I wish they could have been caught
By either one of us or the AGFC or the Sheriff's Deputies.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't have any respect for poachers and have a lot of respect for most game wardens. Getting to work outside doing something that you love but knowing every interaction with someone hunting involves a deadly weapon.

In Ohio you can lose your hunting license, firearm and fined. They will increase the size of the fine by the size of the trophy. (the bigger the deer the bigger the fine)
One of our locals held the record for largest fine of nearly $24,000 for taking a buck.
Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Poaching Near $24,000 Trophy Buck - North American Whitetail

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,192 Posts
I'll bet he was proud of that record, too.

I understand poaching when you need to feed your family. I don't approve of it, but I wouldn't turn someone in. The fines and possible jail time would put an even bigger strain on the family budget.

What really makes me crazy is the hunters who get a trophy buck, drives around showing it off for a couple of days, then tosses the body and mounts the head. There are processors, at least around here, that won't charge for the work if they can donate the meat to a food pantry.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Thats pret
I don't have any respect for poachers and have a lot of respect for most game wardens. Getting to work outside doing something that you love but knowing every interaction with someone hunting involves a deadly weapon.

In Ohio you can lose your hunting license, firearm and fined. They will increase the size of the fine by the size of the trophy. (the bigger the deer the bigger the fine)
One of our locals held the record for largest fine of nearly $24,000 for taking a buck.
Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Poaching Near $24,000 Trophy Buck - North American Whitetail
That's pretty close here in N.C. too.

·
Wonderment :)
36,174 Posts
information: NC Law

NC TURN - IN - POACHER (TIP)
About the NC WILDTIP Reward Program
After the N.C. legislature’s inception of the Wildlife Poacher Reward Fund Rule, the NCWRC established the NC WILDTIP (Turn-In-Poachers) program as a silent witness, anti-poaching program that encourages the public to report any suspicious activity or knowledge about poaching violations.
The multi-optioned NC WILDTIP reporting system is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
The TIP Program pays rewards to persons who provide information that result in the arrest and conviction of persons who have committed certain wildlife offenses.
Rewards range from $100 to $1000 depending on the severity of the crime and the fines assessed by the court. Click here to see a complete list of eligible violations.
All tips will remain anonymous, however, to be eligible for the reward your name and contact information must be provided to NCWRC.
The following individuals are not eligible to receive reward money:
  • Any current Wildlife Resources Commission employee or members of his or her immediate family;
  • Any current Wildlife Resources Commissioner;
  • Any sworn law enforcement officer;
  • The perpetrator of the crime for which the information has been given and any accomplice or accessory to that crime; and
  • Any individual who refuses to provide the Commission with his or her name and contact information

·
Wonderment :)
36,174 Posts
continued: NC

Eligible Violations
  • Unlawful sale, possess for sale or purchase of any wildlife.
  • Unlawful take, possession or transportation of wild turkey.
  • Unlawful take, possession or transportation of black bear.
  • Unlawful take, possession or transportation of cougar.
  • Unlawful take of deer between ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise with the aid of an artificial light. (Night Deer hunting)
  • Unlawful take of any wild animal or wild bird from or with the use of a vessel equipped with a motor or with motor attached.
  • Willfully making any false or misleading statement in order to secure from himself or another any license, permit, privilege, exemption or other benefit which the person in question is not entitled.
  • Any person who violates any provision of GS 113-291.6 regulating trapping.
  • Unlawful taking of any fox by unlawful trapping or with the aid of any electronic calling device.
  • Unlawful take, possession, transport, buy or sale any bald eagle or golden eagle, alive or dead, or any part, nest or egg of any bald or golden eagle.
  • Unlawful take of any migratory game bird with a rifle, with the use and aid of live decoys, over bait or during the closed season.
  • Unlawfully restricts access by vehicle on game lands to a person who holds a special vehicular access identification card and permit issued by the Commission to persons who have a handicap that limits physical mobility
  • Willful transportation or attempt to transport live coyotes into this state for any purpose.
  • Willful importation or possession of black-tailed or mule deer.
  • Unlawful placing of process food products as bait in any area of the State where the NCWRC has established an open season for taking black bears.
  • Unlawful removing feral swine from a trap while the swine is still alive or by transporting such swine after the removal
  • Unlawful take, possess, transport, sell, barter, trade, exchange, export, or offer for sale, barter, trade, exchange or export, or give away for any purpose including advertising or other promotional purpose any animal on a protected wild animal list, except as authorized according to the regulations of the Commission, including those promulgated pursuant to G.S. 113-333(1)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I never understood the thrill of poaching. ????
It is the ease of shooting them in the spot light as close range and getting a really big rack you can show off. Not much sport to shoot anything at 30 yards while it is blinded. We had a trophy deer killed in Oklahoma a couple years ago that was in a cage in a deer farm. We have a special law in our state that makes them pay the actual cost of the deer. So, if they kill one on fame farm or breeder, they may be paying tens of thousands of dollars in restitution, plus the fines.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yep. Some poachers even brag on social media sites. They brag that no warden will ever catch me. Yes he has taken at least a few of them down . Believe me he is not out there to get the guy that just made an honest mistake. He is very reasonable and respectful as long as he is given the same back. Hell he mostly is tied up late at night with drunk drivers or whatever when he is on the road late patrolling. Its a dangerous situation some nights as people simply dont want to be arrested or go to jail and will do anything to get away. I have heard it all from him
Most people have no clue how much, other law enforcement, game wardens do. I was a state park ranger once and the nearest back up was 15 miles away, so wardens would often take a back up call when they were also in the boonies. As far as arresting drunks, alone, late at night on a dark highway I have done many. There is always risk. Twice I have have bad guys try to take my life out there in the dark, so I well know the risk. Wardens working alone have that risk every time but it is different, because 100% of the guys they stop have guns and seldom are they alone, so every stop involves 2 or more jerks who have already committed a crime, and they are armed Just so you know.....

So we certainly respect and appreciate your son for what he does. It is much more dangerous now than when I worked. All law enforcement jobs are more dangerous today.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A few years back two guys killed a 10 foot alligator in far SE Oklahoma. Alligators are protected in Oklahoma. So, they took it to the town of Broken Bow and had their picture taken and it was in the Sunday local paper. The following Sunday they had their picture in the Sunday paper again, along with the details of the arrest. They said they just never thought it could be a crime, they were just so happy to get that big guy they wanted to show it off.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I'll bet he was proud of that record, too.

I understand poaching when you need to feed your family. I don't approve of it, but I wouldn't turn someone in. The fines and possible jail time would put an even bigger strain on the family budget.

What really makes me crazy is the hunters who get a trophy buck, drives around showing it off for a couple of days, then tosses the body and mounts the head. There are processors, at least around here, that won't charge for the work if they can donate the meat to a food pantry.
One of my summer jobs while in college in Texas was working for the Wildlife Department. The Chief District Game Warden was my hero and a guy I aspired to be. A huge red headed guy that looked like he could pick up my trick.

Having lunch with him once I asked him about arresting poor people who shot a deer for food, did he arrest them too? Of course, everybody has to follow the law. Then he said that he was too busy and the wardens that worked for him were too busy at the time to find any of them, because there were so many rich guys out of Dallas, driving down the road in their Suburbans shooting deer from the road, at night, that they just did not have the time to hunt down poor people killing deer for food. But sure, when they had time, they would arrest them too. I doubt they ever got the time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I work on an Army owned installation. During patrol duty we dealt with quite a few poachers. Some were professional interstate poachers working for an Iowan taxidermist. They removed the heads of the trophy bucks and left the rest to rot. That bunch paid hefty fines and went to prison. We caught one of them and fortunately, he rolled over on the others. He received a lesser sentence as a result and his sentence was 5 1/2 years in prison.

After release, the group still faced federal firearms charges.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Poachers do NOT JUST KILL trophy s. They kill everything. Most people's idea of a poacher is WAY to narrow. Poachers are lying thieves. Probably lying thieves in ever aspect of their life they just get the lable poacher when they get caught stealing game instead of your lawn mower, tree stand, or 4 wheeler.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts