Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The outer edge of civilization
It's people like that who piss me off! Weren't 320 enough? And what in the world were they planning to do with that many? I mean there's filling your freezer and then there's wastefulness.

It makes me wonder if they've poached other game by going over their limits.

Registered
It's people like that who piss me off! Weren't 320 enough? And what in the world were they planning to do with that many? I mean there's filling your freezer and then there's wastefulness.

I would say yes they have.

Registered
That really grips me.
A good friend of mine had issues with poachers years ago on some pasture land away from the house
Didn't stop until he moved up there and later had a family living up there as caretakers.
The poachers would kill a deer take the backstraps , head and hide and leave the rest.馃槨

Registered
What do people do with 471 squirrels?
Was this a commercial venture to supply squirrels for something?
Pelts arnt worth squat, so meat?
Big demand for covid era Squirrel meat?
Is eating squirrel a ethnic thing I didnt realize?

As a kid we Used to have a odd neighbor that raised dogs, he being a hired hand on a large farm couldnt afford to feed the large number dogs so he took to poaching deer on the corn fields on his bosses farm.
The whitetails were on a expansion at that time and he used a thrift store crossbow.

Registered
Something very strange about that story. So, 16 guys have an annual squirrel camp? That cannot be about food at all, it is about something else. Please provide any follow up, curious minds want to know.

My father in law RIP and a navy buddy would camp for 2-3 weeks each year and put up catfish. They took a freezer and would bring back 200 pounds. They would have multiple fish fries in the state park they were in with every camper welcome and later would put on fish fries for the local senior citizens center. It was 100% legal, fish caught in huge lakes, (Lake Texoma) and it was a great program that 2 guys did. If they had not been there, dozens of older people would not have experienced all of those fish fries, and zero harm to the fishery, that is why they are there. So, I have no problem with anybody doing it legal. Just have to wonder if there are any squirrels left in that area and how long before they come back?

I once hunted with a doctor who would shoot a extra doe each year and take it to donate to the local hunters against hunger.

Resident Curmudgeon

Apart from filling the freezer, the only excuse for that many squirrels is somebody wants a full circle vair cloak.

Reactions: ncnascarlady

Banned
I don't think I've shot that many squirrels in the 44 years I've been hunting.
I KNOW I haven't!

And, once upon a time, I shot a lot of squirrels; all of which were kind 'a gamey to eat. We used to soak them in vinegar or buttermilk, at least, overnight before cooking. (I'd recommend browning and then using a pressure cooker, too.)

That's damned wasteful! How does a local population recover from something like that? Here ya go:

Registered
It doesn't really or takes years. We soaked ours in salt water and then fried them up like chicken. I loved it as a kid, if I were to bring a couple three squirrels in to cook for dinner, my wife would leave me and take the kids and that would be that so I don't indulge my appetite for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts