close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pocket Carry

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by PAPA G, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I still say a mini 1911 style .380 or 9mm cocked and locked in a good pocket holster is a good choice for 24/7 carry.

neophyte, TXplt, Jaison and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yonder
    Got to admit, I looked at the Sig P238 for a long time before staying with the LCP.

neophyte, TXplt and billy like this.

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I've pocket carried J-frames, LCRs, LCPs, Glock 43, Sig P238, Smith Shield, and even a Glock 20 (in CCW breakaways lol).

Glock 42/43 (prefer the 43), Kahr, Sig238 (or other small variants), Shield, etc. are all great. Any modern quality gun (and you want the modern quality part because the shield and Glock, Sig, LCP/R, etc. all have positive firing pin blocks or other inherent safety devices to prevent it from going bang unless the trigger is depressed).

The Shield is a great value and can be had in 9mm, 40, or 45. I often carry one while in FL.

The major keys to safety for me.

1. The gun is in a quality pocket holster (you can probably get by without one with the double action only revolvers simply because of their long and heavy trigger stroke, but anything else NEEDS to be in a holster. This keeps obstructions of all sorts out of the way of the trigger and trigger guard. And there's a huge amount of stuff that can get in there). I've used different kinds; the nemesis seems to work well for me.

2. The gun goes in the holster, and THEN in the pocket. If you practice and unholster, fine--take the holster out of the pocket, put the gun in it, and then put the combo back in the pocket.

3. NOTHING goes in the pocket except the gun and holster (again, the only possible exception might be with a DAO J-frame where sometimes if it's being carried without holster a small card type wallet in front of it can break up the outline and seems reasonably safe).

Manual safety or not is up to you; if it's a DAO style gun in a holster it's safe enough without one so long as nothing gets in the trigger guard.

I do pocket carry and sometimes it's indispensable for a quick run into a store and the like, but prefer other carry in most circumstances. Pocket guns can be hard to get out, and I've always been somewhat disquieted by the gun hot nosing stuff I like--granted it's safe but I still have some gut reservations.

4. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

One thing I have never understood is why anyone would not want to clear the malfunctioning ammo vs trying to pull the trigger over and over again in hopes of it going off. Best thing anyone could do is to clear the problem and chamber a fresh round in.
    Training to continue to pull the trigger on a dead round is a good way to end up dead in a life threatening altercation.

5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have been carrying a Kel Tec P3AT in my left front pocket with one in the pipe for years. Aint' shot my leg off yet!

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

It ain't the leg I'd be worried about...... :D

7. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Have a Glock with the trigger "set" is NOT the same as carrying a 1911 with the hammer cocked and the safety off. When the trigger on a Glock is set, the firing pin is NOT pulled back or ready to go. The back of the Glock cruciform of the trigger bar rests against the downward extension of the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled, the cruciform part of the trigger bar pushes back on the firing pin, putting it under spring tension. When the trigger bar hits the disconnecter, it forces the trigger bar down and allows the firing pin to go forward, while deactivating the firing pin safety at the same time. The actual act of pulling the trigger, pulls the firing pin back and releases it. As for the "number" of accidental discharges of Glocks- more Glocks are out there in the hands of Law Enforcement than any other gun. Glocks are very popular with civilians as well because it is a very good gun. But.....you have to keep your booger hook off the bang switch!! The Glock has three safeties. Trigger safety, firing pin safety and the drop safety. To fire it, you point and click. If you pocket carry, put it in a holster!! Protect the trigger from being pulled. Any gun carried in the pocket without some type of pocket holster is just asking for an extra hole somewhere and a hospital trip.
    Thus ends today's lesson, class dismissed.

AK Hunter, neophyte, Ten Man and 4 others like this.
  8. CountryBoy

CountryBoy G&G Evangelist

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP .380. I like it because it is small and I can carry it lots of places I'm not supposed to. Also in the summer months it's a little easier to hide than my XDS.

I may be sadly disappointed some day, but I carry it loaded with one in the chamber. I carry it in my Right Front Jeans or Overalls pocket. I carry it in a cheap soft-sided Uncle Mikes (what they label as an IWB) holster. I never carry ANYTHING else in that pocket either.

I am completely comfortable carrying this way. As I said I may be sadly disappointed in my choice some day, but until then I will continue to carry the little guy in this manner.

One more thing, I KNOW a .380 isn't much defense, but it is a weapon which is better than NO weapon at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  9. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

For all the comments about "I'm not comfortable carrying X,Y,Z handgun in my pocket because of the trigger or whatever... you do realize that they make these things called "pocket holsters" which you slip into your pocket.

They do several things.

-They keep your handgun stable in your pocket and always facing the same way,

-They have a tab build into them so when you draw your pistol, only the gun comes out and not the entire holster.

-They mask the shape of a handgun in your pocket when your pants leg is stretched tight like when you are sitting down

-They cover and protect the trigger guard area like a normal holster.

Get a quality pocket holster for your tiny gun and this may open up the range of handgun carry options for you. ;)

10. Jaison

Yonder
    Same here all around, except I sold the XDS and regretted it. Bought a Shield when they had the rebate, instead.

The Uncle Mike's does everything it's supposed to (see TACAV's post above)

With modern ammo, the .380 should do fine for up close and personal. It's much easier to conceal than the Shield in summer work clothes, especially since we're 'not allowed to carry' at work.

A couple other guys I know 'don't carry' an LCP at work, either.

neophyte, CountryBoy and austinjoe13 like this.
  11. CountryBoy

CountryBoy G&G Evangelist

Jaison likes this.
  12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I have never been a fan of "pocket carry" for CCW, due to all the limitations it creates.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  13. Jaison

Yonder
    Outside of work or wardrobe limitations, the Shield, XDsc or CZ accompany this raccoon.

Unfortunately, like CB wrote above, sometimes we have to be cautious. Having the pocket available is surely comforting at 2:00am while working on the AC at a ghetto mart. The larger stuff would just get in the way.

CountryBoy, neophyte and Big Dog like this.
  14. IMG_20170717_164026_536.jpg

The s&w airweight 642 has been great as a pocket gun, I'm surprised by how much I like the thing. I have barely touched my LCP since I bought the 642

Palladin8, austinjoe13, billy and 2 others like this.
  15. 12 oz lighter than my SP101.
    But my lcp is 9.6 oz.
    Decisions decisions..
    But in bear country camping or such.
    Absolute max loads with the heaviest hard cast I could cram in a 357 case would be the order of the day.
    Or 12 ga mag loads
    Depends on brown or black bears

austinjoe13 likes this.
  16. I
    Don't like crap on my belt for living

17. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

I really do like Thrillbilly's 642. Haven't had a revolver in eons and I like the snubbies best. Great for concealment and price ain't bad either. Also like that Remington RM 380 but mixed reviews so far.

18. I'm bigger than any bear around here and that sign is mostly for lawyers. There probably ain't 10 bears in my whole county.

austinjoe13 and billy like this.
  19. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I don't pocket carry it but like Thrill I sure enjoy carrying my 642. 158gr+p Remington SWC lead hollow points[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

thrillbilly likes this.
  20. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    A Glock and a 1911 are indeed different - a 1911 has a grip safety. I'd forgotten that! :rolleyes:

Other than that, your finger's movement against the trigger causes the gun to fire. Period. The trigger thingie moves out of the way once your finger starts moving the trigger. Whether it's a 4# 1911 trigger or a 5# Glock trigger, both are at the light end of the spectrum. A DA trigger tends to be 10# or more.